Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Neo

Is #WannaCry a happy coincidence for Microsoft?

4 posts in this topic

Those of us who have researched Windows 10 find it a spyware filled OS, with absolutely no features that makes you want to upgrade (downgrade) to it.    Microsoft have tried every dirty trick in the book to get people to move to W10, some people have even woke up to find their computer has upgraded overnight without their permission!

Even those who have foolishly decided to use it, find that the "privacy" settings they turn on are turned off the next time they check!!    Those that decided to stick on Windows 7 to avoid this, found to their dismay that Microsoft sent out the spying updates to that OS too.

Some decided to selectively remove specific Windows updates that are linked to telemetry and spying.    So they were up to date with security patches, but no spying patches thanks.    Microsoft then decided they were going to bundle all patches into one cumulative file to stop people doing this!   The timing is too coincidental for any other explanation.

Lets also remember, Microsoft gave Windows 10 away for free!   Clearly, because the users are the product.   Either they want our data to compete with Google, or they plan to move to software as a service.  In other words, people forced to pay a subscription to use their own computer.  From a business point of view this would make a lot of sense for them, why have a battle every few years to get people to pay for your next OS, or Office - mostly when they are quite happy with how it works and see no need for an upgrade.   Instead make them pay a small fee every month, and then force upgrade them whenever you want.  What happens to the computers of people who stop paying I wonder?  Although we do not know yet, for this cunning plan to work I would imagine it would disable key parts of the OS that make it virtually unusable.  Perhaps it wont connect to the internet, to keep the internet "safe" from computers that are not patched up to date.  You can imagine them selling this idea to governments!  Remember when they removed the start button?  Remember when they moved to the stupid ribbon in office?   Everyone hated it those choices, no one wanted them, yet Microsoft would not back down.  So people didnt upgrade and did everything they could not to.   That problem disappears when you can force your updates on your customers!

We then learn that some big organisations have paid Microsoft to continue supporting XP, and releasing security updates for them.   That's right.  They are still writing updates for XP, they keep the updates just for these clients, while everyone else who doesn't pay gets nothing.  As they say its "unsupported" and "you should upgrade".  

So in a best case scenario, Microsoft are guilty of putting people at risk because of their greed.   I suspect to hear this week that people have died, who had surgery lined up or found their local A&E closed or maybe a doctor couldnt access important patient records at a critical time?

In a worse case scenario, this event is oh so happy for Microsoft.  Did they cause it?  I do not know.  But think how happy they will be that organisations around the world will now make the decision to move to W10.  Think how many £ / $ / € that is, and then remember once they have people on W10 all the extra profit that will generate for them!

On a side note, this has also exposed that some governments (UK for example) have the money for extensive spy programs to record all their citizens internet usage, texts, e-mail etc.  But they do not have the money to pay for healthcare and other gov bodies to keep their XP systems updated!  That in itself is a shocking admission, and shows how our tax money is spent against our best interests.

I'm just going with what works. Sell MSFT. Buy RHT.

redhat.pnghttps://getfedora.org/

>>> Fedora is sponsored by Red Hat.
>>> Learn more about the relationship between Red Hat and Fedora »
>>> © 2017 Red Hat, Inc. and others. Please send any comments or corrections to the websites team.

It is stable, commercially supported, incorporates SELinux, and actually enables the security enhancements in enforcing mode by default.

gettyimages-682557416_wide-bcaeefca02059

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/05/15/528439968/wannacry-ransomware-microsoft-calls-out-nsa-for-stockpiling-vulnerabilities

But, it just doesnt work.  At least not now.  Linux is very time intensive.  I actually run it on my laptop, which is used solely to remote desktop to my main PC.

A very trivial example, when I close the laptop lid it suspends.  I want it to shutdown.  There is no shutdown in the options.

I google, and find an answer.  Which apparently worked for 14.04, but now does not work for 16.04.    I have to install a configuration editor, then manually edit a config file, then restart the laptop or restart a particular service.

All this for something that in every new version, still doesnt enable me to set shutdown from the gui and needs a different work around.

Also SELinux, is just like the windows mode that asks for a password all the time - so annoying and the cause for so many things not working, its much easier just to turn it off.

[b99@localhost ~]$ getenforce
Enforcing
[b99@localhost ~]$ setenforce Permissive
setenforce:  setenforce() failed
[b99@localhost ~]$ getenforce
Enforcing
[b99@localhost ~]$

No trouble with SELinux.  Mostly just vanilla install and use the applications.  I don't fart around "under the hood" because for the most part it is totally unnecessary.  Laptop suspend and hibernate tend to be shitty, because they are implemented as cheap kludges by the laptop manufacturers.  Suspend works on my Asus X540S: a small hitch is if I choose to power off the laptop, and shut the lid before the laptop fully shuts down, then when I open the lid some time later, the laptop wakes up and then resumes the shutdown process, which is annoying because I usually want to use my laptop when I open the lid, and I didn't really want to the battery to be draining at all when I chose a full shutdown.

Selfie camera is lousy but it works.  Touchpad works.  WiFi works.