Sign in to follow this  
Neo

'I feel like a stranger where I live’

Rate this topic

Today's Telegraph Article allows no comments.  (As per usual on any subject people feel passionately about)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/immigration/9831912/I-feel-like-a-stranger-where-I-live.html

As new figures show 'white flight' from cities is rising, one Londoner writes a provocative personal piece about how immigration has drastically changed the borough where she has lived for 17 years

Please feel free to discuss this important topic here.

This reminds me of a video I saw a couple of years ago that called London: Londonistan, lol. It is courageous for the author to speak out on such issues. I think the popular phenomenon of multiculturalism has led to the acceptance of behavior that would not have been tolerated in the past, in London and elsewhere. Also, the embrace of the nanny state in England has, predictably led to a poor economy, squeezing out the middle class and leaving only the poor and the rich, as the author describes. So, a variety of issues have led to the destruction of the middle class in London and I don't see it changing anytime soon. 

Unfortunately the people of this country have been brainwashed to think that asking questions about immigration is racist.

Hence the above article not allowing comments on the Telegraph website.

The article is very interesting to read, and you can feel a bit of sympthy for the writer. But I want to look at the bigger picture. The world is changing, some places more than others. People of all faces and colors are moving to different places. Multi-cultures are growing. People want to move, if they can afford it,  to  get better amenities. In the US by 2036 or so, neighborhoods will be rainbows of color including white, but not dominated by it. The change will be tough, for those who take change hard, who cannot or will not adjust. The world is getting smaller. Running from it will have you at the ends of the earth and still running.

I don't know any history about England, like how or when it was colonized, who the founders of the country were, or whether there were any wars fought over its territory. I was born, raised and live in Canada. Before the British set foot on the shores of this territory, it was peacefully colonized by the First Nations indigenous tribes. When the British (a mainly white, Caucasian race), arrived on the Continent, they stole the land from the indigenous tribes and set them up on reservations that to this day do not fully serve them well. These tribes are still treated like less than human. Over the past 50 years or more, immigrants from other countries began coming in droves. Chinese, Japanese, East Indians, mostly East Asian and Indian cultures. Canadians did not take very kindly to having their provinces and territories "invaded" by these foreign immigrants. Today, there doesn't seem to be any restrictions in place to control immigration in Canada. The neighborhood I live in is mainly Punjabi or those of the Sikh religion. I get on well with my neighbors, but there are many Canadians who don't have such tolerance. I call it Karma. Our ancestors invaded the peaceful communities of the indigenous tribes and almost destroyed their culture to establish and promote their own culture as the main culture. Now we are seeing history repeat itself, only it is our culture that is suffering.

I am not trying to advocate violence saying this.  But clearly the moral of the story is fight to the death invaders.  Which tbh is what I thought the native tribes actually did and the ones in the reservation are the very small % of survivors who were not killed.

But lets face it, it is evolution for strong races to take over the land of weak ones.  But what we have in the west is weak ones being allowed in for sympathy and then being allowed to outbreed us and they bring with them medieval thinking and treatment of women.

I do not think it will end well somehow.  Either the west will say no more and vote in strong right wing governments, or your grand daughters will be wearing the hijab.

In America, the Ameican indians were living here first, everyone else were invaders. The land was in better shape, the grass was greener, and the pollution was more than likely nil, without the great automobile. Progress can be great but it can also be annilating to all races. Let the future roll in.

The land was in better shape, the grass was greener, and the polluioin was more than likely nil, without the great automobile. Ptogress can be great but it can also be annilating to all races. Let the future roll in.

Actually, untended land in nature is a stinking death trap. Man cleans it up and makes it habitable, clears out vermin, cleans the water and uses the resources so that he and his children can live well and leave added value for all those humans who come later. We need MORE people,  and more productive activity, not less. And, I would welcome them all, if they want to work, to come to America and help us remember the American Spirit, where anyone can be what ever they choose no matter where they start out. Yes, there were mistakes made in our past but that should not discourage us from fighting to continue this system that was founded on the values of the Enlightenment: individual freedom,  the use of rationality and reason and even holding the pursuit of happiness in high regard. 

That can happen anywhere and has over the course of history. You can even feel out of place from economic differences. Say if many of your neighbors loose their jobs but you do not. After a year or so you are not in the majority and could feel uncomfortable around them.

Around where I live the billboards have gone Spanish a few years ago even though there are still many anglos and blacks. What amazes me is the overall attitude of capitulation over language. If our leaders had spines they would enforce English as the only language of state and stop wasting our tax money translating and printing every form in 16 languages!

I see it an an embarrassment to Americans that most of us can only speak English, where in many other countries throughout the world it is common for people to speak multiple languages. I don't necessarily have any real problem with Spanish billboards, if anything, I hope over time I become more fluent in it and other languages. I used to know Italiand and Latin from school, but seldom used them and have forgotten most of it.

I'm surprised there is still "white flght" occurring these days, I thought that was more prevalent from the 60's-90's, at least in the US it seemed to be. I live near downtown Cleveland and if anything, there are more and more people flocking back into the downtown area to live. Not surprisingly, the costs of apartments and condos has skyrocketed as a result. A two bedroom apartment downtown in a decent building can easily run you $1500-$1700 per month. Furnished, you're looking at $2,500 per month.

Personally, I prefer living closer to multicultural areas. I grew up in an all white neighborhood and attended all white schools, and I couldn't wait to get out of there when I went off to college and finally moved out.

I see it an an embarrassment to Americans that most of us can only speak English, where in many other countries throughout the world it is common for people to speak multiple languages. 

Personally, I prefer living closer to multicultural areas. I grew up in an all white neighborhood and attended all white schools, and I couldn't wait to get out of there when I went off to college and finally moved out.

That most Americans speak English is a great advantage in communication and assimilation. Immigrants who come to the USA are less likely to cling to their old culture and adapt to ours and this is a good thing. My immigrant friends only speak their native languages when conversing with their friends and family from their old countries. Their children and grand-children speak English almost exclusively.

I have never seen an all white neighborhood or school in the USA. You must be older than I am to have experienced that type of segregation. I started school in the late1960's  and all my schools were integrated and my neighborhoods were mixed. Everyone spoke English in public as a matter of manners. Having a dominant language simplifies communication within a country and helps people to feel like they are part of the society they have chosen to live within.

In short, it is one way to avoid the uncomfortable and dangerous situations that are illustrated in the OP's article.

Americans are generally ultra introvert people, who live inside their own shell, they get out once in a while to get groceries and shut themselves away from the rest of the world. Do not expect Americans to think outside the box. I met one of my neighbours 17 years ago, and the second time today when they moved away to Atlanta. That is life  in USA.

That can happen anywhere and has over the course of history. You can even feel out of place from economic differences. Say if many of your neighbors loose their jobs but you do not. After a year or so you are not in the majority and could feel uncomfortable around them.

Around where I live the billboards have gone Spanish a few years ago even though there are still many anglos and blacks. What amazes me is the overall attitude of capitulation over language. If our leaders had spines they would enforce English as the only language of state and stop wasting our tax money translating and printing every form in 16 languages!

Mr. Zimm, if you live in a place like that you should take it to your advantage and learn Castellan. I live where Creole is dominant, and that is what i work on.

Xenophobia is like the first stage of grief. If you want to keep your neighborhood sanctified, then take it back! Boston hasnt been overtaken by minorities because they fought back and pushed them out

Let me add some pics that really shocked me.

image_update_448301b13d5bc90a_1348242840_9j-4aaqsk.jpeg

apple_store_queue_iphone5-610.jpg

You may ask, where are these?  Pakistan?  India?   No its the streets of London, during the iPhone 5 release.   What % of native white Brits can you spot?   5%? 10%?

Couple of points about those pics:-

1. Agreed, the ethnic make up is a shock. I didn't think London was that multicultural.

2. How come in time of austerity, all these people can afford a new iphone?? I assume not all of them have a boss that let them have the day off to queue?

Couple of points about those pics:-

1. Agreed, the ethnic make up is a shock. I didn't think London was that multicultural.

2. How come in time of austerity, all these people can afford a new iphone?? I assume not all of them have a boss that let them have the day off to queue?

I think of it more as genocide.  And because they are spending their benefits, free money, why not spend it on an iphone?

Unfortunetly, some people are incredibly small-minded. They live in their own little internalized world. Alot of these people have never known real poverty or oppresion. They have been safe and secure in their own little cacoons. Then one day their cacoon gets ripped open and they see alot of things that may scare them or disturb them. Or things that they just don't understand. So instead of having compassion, or showing any kind of self-sacrifice they become defensive. They try to rebuild their little cacoon. To hide from anything that is marred or ugly or wrong in this society. It is much easier to pretend then to face reality for some people. Untill the reality shows up in their own backyard, and they are forced to see outside of the box.

I dont want to live in a place overrun by the marred or ugly aspects of society.  In my experience its usually the women who are more understanding and liberal, but then these are the ones who usually will end up treated as second class citizens forced to wear a Hijab or ganged raped.  That's the point they start to see outside of their box.

I got back from Rome Italy where I spent 8 days going through tourist sites. They tell me that pickpockets are mostly Romanian, they tell me that bus drivers are mostly Italians from Sicily. They tell me that paper and umbrella sellers come from Nigeria. Waitresses are generally either Romanian or Croat. Train conductors speak good Italian  but they call them derogatory name because they say they are from the South. Funny thing is that in Vatican, along the marvellous display of stolen Egyptian artefacts  the sellers of the souvenirs are Jews, Talk about mixture of everything!

I dont want to live in a place overrun by the marred or ugly aspects of society.  In my experience its usually the women who are more understanding and liberal, but then these are the ones who usually will end up treated as second class citizens forced to wear a Hijab or ganged raped.  That's the point they start to see outside of their box.

There is place for Neo. Go to Oz. Take "Ghan" train to Darwin, rent 4 wheeler and follow the river into swamps. The only people you will ever meet there are natives on their annual walkabout

Nobody "forces" a Muslim woman to wear anything. You are a liar if you knew of a sinlge Muslim woman being treated as a second class citizen.

Nobody "forces" a Muslim woman to wear anything. You are a liar if you knew of a sinlge Muslim woman being treated as a second class citizen.

So Muslim women have as much right to do what they want as Muslim men?  And yet there are many stories of such women prevented from getting an education, threatened with stoning for not covering up.  Can women drive in Saudi now?

Maybe you just meant it was more like third class?