Does gas have to be as expensive as it is right now? Are we being duped into paying more?

Not that the average american citizen can do much about the price of gas, but it seems that just when people are fed up with it, they lower the price and thus get people to shut up for a while. But that price is always still lower than what it used to be and they always start hiking it back up again.

Is this just a result of inflation or is this artificically being heightened because of our dependency on oil?

I say it's time we just develop cars that don't use gas at all and stop letting big oil companies shoot down the efforts of companies that try to harness alternative fuels just because these oil execs want to maintain their fat paychecks.

DKiSTih.png

I'm more likely to agree with you than the "we're running out of oil" excuse. Sure, no one thought this gasoline powered car thing out, but that doesn't mean we're that close to running out right now. If we were, there would be much more effort put into new vehicles that don't run this way. There'd be a push for everyone to get cars like this. I feel like gas prices going like this are just ways to make big business more money, nothing else.

I actually feel that in reality we may not be in the current state of "extremely running out of gas state". I actually feel that we were somehow led to believe this so therefore the prices start sky rocketing. The public of course is very agitated and upset from this but the government has the upper hand so no matter how much we complain about the prices, nothing will stop them from increasing.

I think your thought is more likely than the people who truly believe we're already dangerously close to running out. Going a bit beyond inflation to just plain calming the angry cattle and extending oerall greed isn't farfetched at all, in my opinion.

I'm more likely to agree with you than the "we're running out of oil" excuse. Sure, no one thought this gasoline powered car thing out, but that doesn't mean we're that close to running out right now. If we were, there would be much more effort put into new vehicles that don't run this way. There'd be a push for everyone to get cars like this. I feel like gas prices going like this are just ways to make big business more money, nothing else.

There would be a rush to control population levels.  Its not just personal cars, its the transporting of food from around the world.  No one eats seasonally now, they have strawberries in winter as they ship them across the globe. Is this a good use of a limited energy?  Do we need such a big population?  Why do we give people fertility treatment when we are already over populated?  Or a child is born with a terrible illness that means they will always have the brain capacity of an infant.   Why do we suffer a child to live a life like that?

I also thought things were going up and up.  But really they arent.  They are staying the same or going up a little.  What's really happening is that the money is becoming worth less and less.  Major conspiracy that one, and its definitely being done on purpose by the governments of the world.

It's only a rough rule of thumb, but to me it seems that every 10 years the value of money halves.

There might be some truth to the fact that prices are manipulated up. Its a bit like the new "environmental friendly" agenda that many corporations have. And by that I mean this:
"To be more environment-friendly we give you less, and you have to pay more because it is environment-friendly."

In many countries the gas price is double of what it is in USA, in Sweden 1 liter (around 4 gallons) gas costs a bit over 2$.

Combinations of speculation in the market, difficulty in reaching new sources of gas (frakking). Supposed damage to refineries. Yeah, I'm a little suspicious of some of the reports of refinery damage that have seen inflated prices all year.

I think gas gets hiked up when there is a holiday or people planning on traveling which is totally wrong. The gas around here has gone up 30 cents in a week because some school systems are out next week, so people are planning vacations. Also many President day sales will be this weekend, so of course people will need their car to go to these sales.

Just gives you something to think about.

There might be some truth to the fact that prices are manipulated up. Its a bit like the new "environmental friendly" agenda that many corporations have. And by that I mean this:

"To be more environment-friendly we give you less, and you have to pay more because it is environment-friendly."

In many countries the gas price is double of what it is in USA, in Sweden 1 liter (around 4 gallons) gas costs a bit over 2$.

You have that backwards. A gallon is 3.75 litres. So it'd be more like 6 US dollars a gallon there.

Gas prices are what they are because of the times. Some nut starts screaming "RUNNING OUT OF OIL HERE" and big companies capitalize. Prices hike, and when people complain they drop a wee bit, then the people start hollering about running out of oil again.

The price of gas is not really that expensive if only there is even distribution, and healthy competition among gas traders. The war in the middle east also contributes to the expensive price of gas. When US started to deploy military in the Middle East, its flame the idea that something in the Middle East is valuable that US would like to take a slice.

The main thing contributing to the price of gas going up is that the Greenies have convinced the government to not allow the private companies to drill anymore in the US. There's as much or more oil under the United States than there is under the Middle East. When the companies can't get to it though, the Arab countries have control over the prices. That being said, for all the liberals talk of Bush's friends in the oil companies, there was never 1 word said when the prices came down before the election in November about Obama's friends...

I can remember when we had gas sitting in tanks at the harbors, with people lined up to purchase gas, with a shortage being lied about. I get so tired of the news reporters saying  that gas prices are going up, up, up, without any analysis as to what the reason is. If you can't explain why, don't report on the increase. I can see the price is going up. We are all being manipulated.

There was a article on the front page of the city paper about switching from "winter blend "gas to "summer blend" gas. That's really sounds like a bunch of crap since I live in Southern California. We really don't have true seasons here. Regular unleaded gas is $4.35 at my favorite gas station.

Less than a month ago, gas was 3.18 where I live - small town, sort of large but a lot of the residents are rural folk. It was 3.60 even yesterday when I went into town.

I don't give a crap what our cars run off of, but I do think that whatever it is should be cheaper. I mean, for this price we should be running cars off the tears of dogs.

If you consider that we have wars due to oil, and that so many people are millionaires due to oil, I guess thatit is obvious that the gas price could be way lower.. It's basically monopoly, I am pretty sure that some powerful people control the prices.

• 2 weeks later...

I once read a post where someone said, "Why are we still using combustible engines in the 21st century?" Good question. Here's why: Money. 

Our dependency on vehicles, oil, and gasoline was carefully constructed by Rockefeller and Standard Oil 100 years or so ago. It's no accident that our society was built around cars and mass transit systems failed to really take off in most places. 

With record profits being reported by oil companies, how is it that supply and demand is the cause of increased prices? If we're running out of oil why are combustible engine cars still being produced in such quantity? And why, for Gods' sake, are oil companies exporting oil that they're extracting here and shipping it elsewhere if they are blaming the importing process for high prices? Total scam. 

Over in the Uk, I can see the black market in cars being fixed to run on Food oils becoming a major player. As for energy prices, If they get too high, just start burning woodor digging up your own coal. Theres only so much you can accept from Govt/Big Business before you have to look after yourself.

I once read a post where someone said, "Why are we still using combustible engines in the 21st century?" Good question. Here's why: Money. 

Our dependency on vehicles, oil, and gasoline was carefully constructed by Rockefeller and Standard Oil 100 years or so ago. It's no accident that our society was built around cars and mass transit systems failed to really take off in most places. 

With record profits being reported by oil companies, how is it that supply and demand is the cause of increased prices? If we're running out of oil why are combustible engine cars still being produced in such quantity? And why, for Gods' sake, are oil companies exporting oil that they're extracting here and shipping it elsewhere if they are blaming the importing process for high prices? Total scam. 

Exactly, if we were really short on oil why not stress the importance of making more cars that can run off of non-oil. You mean to tell me the technology is not there to do so? Money,Money,Money the world revolves around it aslong as these kind of people are running the show. "Running out of oil" means business and politics as usual. They set the prices and doesn't set itself up.

I don't believe that we are running out of gas, at least not in the near fututre. It's just that people drive so much and the demand for gas is so high that oil companies can sell their gas for such high prices. People should use their bicycles and the bus more often to decrease the demand for gas.

I don't believe that we are running out of gas, at least not in the near fututre. It's just that people drive so much and the demand for gas is so high that oil companies can sell their gas for such high prices. People should use their bicycles and the bus more often to decrease the demand for gas.

Oil companies just want to profit as much as they can.

Will we stop using our cars? no.

Will they lower the prices? Only when we get seriously mad about the price..