The super bowl power outtage may have been intentional.

This is taken from a post made by redditor RedWormCharlie.

A few things I noticed as to why I think this. My friend an I have named this conspiracy "Protocol 205 of the NFL rule book."

1 - They say power from outside caused an entire outage to the stadium yet when the power did go, half the stadium went first. If it was an outside power source the whole stadium would have dropped and emergency power would have come one. Power went out, THEN emergency lights came on about 1 minute afterwards. An electrician friend of mine pointed that factor out.

2 - Que the advertisers online having instant Ads ready at 7:45 Pm at night. Who is working at Oreo that late on a Sunday? Fresh unseen Ads played during commercials while playing catch up.

3 - Shannon Sharp's comments had him slipping on his own words when he said "they turned out the power" because he wasn't smart enough to keep his trap shut, he will also be replaced by Hines Ward next year due to this flap. That's a whole other conspiracy theory.

4 - The game was nearly 30 minutes ahead of schedule by third quarter. It was on pace to be one of the fastest NFL super bowls ever played.

5 - It's the Super Bowl, BILLIONS of dollars at stake, and they have a "unknown" power outage in which they still refuse to identify. You would think with so much money on the line, 40+ million people gathered around watching, that the NFL would have triple and quadruple redundant power sources for their venue.

6 - You would also think they would know the EXACT source of the problem, because it's electricity, power outages are not that hard to identify (electrician friend talking there).

Makes sense to me. The Super Bowl has become a spectacle of consumerism rather than a patriotic celebration of american football.

http://www.reddit.com/r/conspiracy/comments/17vx3p/the_nfl_higher_ups_ordered_the_power_to_be_turned/

For one thing, wouldn't they have, in a huge stadium like that, massive generators or backup plans to relight the place? Interesting points. Stirs the imagination..

That is exactly what I was thinking that very time.  A multi billion dollar event that surely covered everything from "terrorist attacks" and other security precautions yet they couldn't secure a power source in case of emergency?

How could a million dollar state of the art stadium cuts its power during a football game? I really want to know why they do that, Uncle Obama might know this would happen. 

Basically the game was going too fast and they wanted to make more money off of ads (which wouldn't have aired if the game ended too quickly) so they did this as an inconspicuous way to extend the game by force and allow more air time.

Their reasoning is also very vague. They reported an "abnormality" in the system triggering an auto shut down, but I highly doubt such a thing is possible as you never really see this happening at normal games.

This was my first Superbowl, I'm originally from the UK. They sure do like to throw a lot of commercials into the game. My football (soccer) will never gain popularity among advertisers with it's single 15 minute break but I find myself agreeing that, with that kind of money at stake, it's seems possible, that this was intentional. What do they do if a game is ending to fast next time, stage a blimp crash?

We were watching the game on line so we already were getting only a fews ads replayed over and over. It's funny you mention the pace of the game, that was my first thought when the lights did not come back on right away. I can see how outside power could be fed from multiple lines so that only half the stadium went out but think about it. If planned as a backup for advertising , you would not want all the lights to go out anyway. That would cause a panic and not enough light to keep things interesting for fans at the stadium and viewing remotely. The half stadium in full light solved this.

I smell coverup. It sounds about right for them to want to brainwash us with more ads. You would figure with something as big as the Super Bowl, where they know it's a spectacle and one of the biggest event of the year; they'd have a backup plan. Then again this country keeps getting weirder and weirder.

I've read that this stadium has a reputation for having power problems, and that this is widely known among local residents, so it wasn't much of a surprise to them. 

Did anyone hear about the Oreo ad spoofing the blackout that went live within minutes of it happening? The agency they were working with were following the ads live and jumped on the opportunity to throw the ad together at a moments notice and run it. It was something real simple, just an image of an Oreo cookie in the darkness with the slogan "you can still dunk in the dark". It got quite a bit of buzz the next day.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's possible that the outage could have been a conspiracy, but I think it's more likely due to the fact that New Orleans is still basically a third world country in many way following hurricane Katrina. Even if it was intentional, I find it hard to see how much anyone could have benefitted from such an event. I suppose they were able to run a few more commercials, but I think most people enjoy the commercials anyway.

That seems like a lot of work to go through just to put a few more advertisements out there. The logistics of putting something that elaborate together as well as making sure everybody keeps it a secret seems a bit far fetched for me. I do understand the significant investment put in to these commercials and the buzz surrounding them, but the power outage seems routine. I mean, it's the Super Bowl, of all events to end up in a power outage this definitely makes the most sense. If I had to look at the position of the opposing opinion though, I could easily see it being premeditated. It's thought provoking, to say the least.

Advertisements really do have a massive driving impact on the sales of goods. It's highly possible a company (who probably paid a lump sum for their spots) would be irked if they got gyp'd on runtime - it may have been a play by the stadium to keep their deals with advertisement companies on the same terms.

These are million dollar deals, so it's no real surprise. A thirty second commercial could bring in millions of dollars of revenue. Does anyone else remember how they were talking about Super Bowl commercials being cheap before this all went down? Conncetion?

Advertisements really do have a massive driving impact on the sales of goods. It's highly possible a company (who probably paid a lump sum for their spots) would be irked if they got gyp'd on runtime - it may have been a play by the stadium to keep their deals with advertisement companies on the same terms.

These are million dollar deals, so it's no real surprise. A thirty second commercial could bring in millions of dollars of revenue. Does anyone else remember how they were talking about Super Bowl commercials being cheap before this all went down? Conncetion?

Do you really think they do?  I never used to buy things because of advertisements when I watched them. I preferred Pepsi Max to Cola so however fab the advert was for Cola I was never going to buy it.  Ive not seen any adverts now since 2009.  

Maybe they work on weaker personalities? 

Do you really think they do?  I never used to buy things because of advertisements when I watched them. I preferred Pepsi Max to Cola so however fab the advert was for Cola I was never going to buy it.  Ive not seen any adverts now since 2009.  

Especially teenagers are very shaped by advertising, I don't know which ad's were show during that time but if it was Oreo, imagine having so many spectators there sitting and waiting, and then the only thing to watch is the ad on the big screen..

Advertising has a lot more impact than you think.

Someday I could make a post here about it, I've seen too many videos about it already..

It's not so much about personalities as it is the power of suggestion. A Red Lobster might not get you to go to Red Lobster, but it might make you raid the fridge. And I don't know about you, but I think it should be criminal to show pictures of food like they do, as I tend not to have the money and they make the ramen in my cupboard look really, really bad.

If you think about it, cigarettes can't be shown in commercials over here (not sure about overseas) so I figure there must be enough suggestive power to warrant having limits as to what they can and can't show.

Especially teenagers are very shaped by advertising, I don't know which ad's were show during that time but if it was Oreo, imagine having so many spectators there sitting and waiting, and then the only thing to watch is the ad on the big screen..

Advertising has a lot more impact than you think.

Someday I could make a post here about it, I've seen too many videos about it already..

It's pretty apparent teens are the ones targeted - even if the product isn't for them. Booze is kind of a sleeper agent in commercials. It tweaks teens back and forth, and even if they don't drink, later down the line they might (actively or subconsciously) recall those commercials when it comes time to make a decision on what they want wasted from. Evan Williams black label tastes almost exactly like Jack Daniels black label, but who do you think of when you think of whiskey? Evan Williams doesn't have the advertising budget to compete on that level.

It's pretty apparent teens are the ones targeted - even if the product isn't for them. Booze is kind of a sleeper agent in commercials. It tweaks teens back and forth, and even if they don't drink, later down the line they might (actively or subconsciously) recall those commercials when it comes time to make a decision on what they want wasted from. Evan Williams black label tastes almost exactly like Jack Daniels black label, but who do you think of when you think of whiskey? Evan Williams doesn't have the advertising budget to compete on that level.

Exactly.

That's the power of advertising..

With this whole economic crisis I learned how to purchase products properly, for instance a pack of cookies where the original advertised brand costs around 2€, tastes almost the same as the same kind of cookies but from a lesser brand that costs 0.50€.. Same goes for chips and other products like oreo too..

The fact that people buy the big brands it's because they think that it is way better and good, since it costs more.. And obviously because they saw the advertising saying how good it was..

It was probably the same people who were sabotaging football stadia lights in England a couple of years ago, step forward the Far-east bookies. They bribe a maintenance guy at the stadium to walk around with a wrench so if it looks like they are going to lose a fortune on the outcome he can smash the elctrics and the game gets abandoned.