Sign in to follow this  
Trinity

VW Emissions Scandal

Lets start this new section thinking about the VW story.

Let me first off, start with a few predictions.  This scandal will not be limited to VW.  There are a lot of car manufactures out there, which will have been playing the same game.   In 6 months time, this will be seen as the tip of the iceberg.

Another few facts.

Volkswagen was warned in 2007 that software used to rig emissions tests was illegal to use on the road

Some 11 million VW diesel cars built since 2008 are affected by the scandal, including up to 1.5million Volkswagen cars in Britain. 

Volkswagen wasn't the only company rigging emission levels, says expert

The person best placed to know runs a company that has tested 90 per cent of the UK’s new cars - VW wasn’t alone, he believes!

‘We’ve been banging on about this for years,” says Nick Molden, a British expert who knows more about the scandal now engulfing the motor industry than almost anyone in the world. 

Last year I bought a used car with cash from some guy downtown Portland who'd had his license suspended and I took it through emissions and it passed.  I don't even want to know the details, because it's all a scam anyways, since it's cash only and they won't even take a $50 or $100 bill even though the last six people in line just paid $15 cash each.

It's no great prediction that others have scammed in the same way . 

It is obvious and always stems from almost any  crime start point ---- Follow the money .

What intrigues me is the process that allows a gigantic corporation to put itself on the line after spending generations building one of the strongest brand names ever .

What processes  and then fantasies did key personnel go through that told them such a move would never be found out ?

These are incredibly sophisticate , professional people who ended up playing like kids . Of course it is greed at the literal level .

But the full deal is so much more than that -- how brains move from top management success to idiot mode .

Think about the other great scam that everyone knows about and everyone seems to ignore.  MPG.

The car manufactures actually strip excess weight from their cars, over inflate their tyres and then drive in perfect conditions.

If you look on the Honest John website, you will see on average cars achieve only 86% of their official MPG figure.

A friend in Germany has told me that BMW are now under investigation for their headlights that are connected through the computer system on board. They have failed on numerous occasions.

Now that time has passed and the hype is worn out, the emissions were not that bad, not bad enough to run them all off the road. Addition of a better catalytic converter probably would have cured the problem. I had a GM gas that did not pass until a California approved cat was installed. Diesel is not even tested in my area and they were all pushed to the curb here. Of course VW does not want to sell these cars now because they want customers to purchase new ones at that higher price. Knew they where straight into the boneyard the day it happened.