Sign in to follow this  
AnnaU93

Negative people

Rate this topic

Being a Christian in a Muslim country, I often encounter Muslims who are very negative about my beliefs. I'm not saying all Muslims are like this, I'm just saying that I encounter it quite a bit so there must be a quite a few out there who have a bad image of Christianity.

I'm commanded to love them and I try my best to do that.

Three years ago, there was a poster in one social networking site who was asking a lot about Christianity, it's fine because he seems to be interested in it but later on he posted many negative things about Christianity. I wasn't able to control myself then so I sent him a personal message and told him to stop judging my religion. Later on I realized I made the wrong move. We cannot mandate the people to change the way they think by pushing our thoughts to them. Since then, I just ignored the negative comments about my religion. I just answer and explain our practices and conviction when people ask. 

Do you not worry that you are a bit less advanced than the part of humanity that have left religion behind?

I mean do you believe in werewolves, vampires? etc   Im guessing the answer is no.  So why in the 21st century would people still believe in made up stories that were obviously created to control the population, and when you dig a little deeper you can clearly see the made up bits taken from other religions especially the Egyptian gods.

I remember a conversation with one of my backward friends,  if I live a good life in line with the commandments but dont believe in god, would I go to heaven?

The answer was no.

So I said, so what if Im bad, I murder some people, rob, steal , rape, but I believe in god.  And on my death bed I ask for forgiveness.  Would I then go to heaven?

The answer was yes.

To me this summarises the control method.  The people who control, want you to do what they say, because god will punish you otherwise.  This is why believing is so important in the mythology.

If there was a god (there isn't) trust me, he wouldn't give a toss if you believed in him or not.    Why would he?

The other crazy thing is, that when something bad happens, he works in mysterious ways.   A Young child die horribly.  We cant know gods plan.   Another child needs a transplant, and gets one at the last minute.  Praise be to god.  It's pathetic really.

Well this turned into a bit of rant, but seriously.  The number of times I have read a great conspiracy theory, and then at the last sentence they say something like "So pray to god that he saves us from such people" and it really makes me sigh.

Well I don't subscribe to religion so much as spirituality in a sense....but I don't really care what others think of my beliefs. How does that really affect me? People can (and certainly will) think what they want whether you confront them or not. I'm more than happy to share knowledge with people who want it, but if they're intent on being negative or have a fiercely negative view of something, it's unlikely they'll get much from the experience.

I'm not religious. I grew up Catholic, but I left the Church several years ago. It really doesn't bother me when people don't share my same beliefs. To each his or her. If someone is continuously negative, then I just remove them from my life. Life is too short to be stressed out.

Three years ago, there was a poster in one social networking site who was asking a lot about Christianity, it's fine because he seems to be interested in it but later on he posted many negative things about Christianity. I wasn't able to control myself then so I sent him a personal message and told him to stop judging my religion. Later on I realized I made the wrong move. We cannot mandate the people to change the way they think by pushing our thoughts to them. Since then, I just ignored the negative comments about my religion. I just answer and explain our practices and conviction when people ask. 

I am usually like this as well. I have had several encounters like this and at this point I can't make people do whats considered universally right which is being RESPECTFUL. I assume many many people have grown uo in horrible conditions with a cold heart due to some of the responses I have had in the past. I hope one day we can all learn to live in peace although humanity has proven again and again how that is impossible.

Do you not worry that you are a bit less advanced than the part of humanity that have left religion behind?

I mean do you believe in werewolves, vampires? etc   Im guessing the answer is no.  So why in the 21st century would people still believe in made up stories that were obviously created to control the population, and when you dig a little deeper you can clearly see the made up bits taken from other religions especially the Egyptian gods.

I remember a conversation with one of my backward friends,  if I live a good life in line with the commandments but dont believe in god, would I go to heaven?

The answer was no.

So I said, so what if Im bad, I murder some people, rob, steal , rape, but I believe in god.  And on my death bed I ask for forgiveness.  Would I then go to heaven?

The answer was yes.

To me this summarises the control method.  The people who control, want you to do what they say, because god will punish you otherwise.  This is why believing is so important in the mythology.

If there was a god (there isn't) trust me, he wouldn't give a toss if you believed in him or not.    Why would he?

The other crazy thing is, that when something bad happens, he works in mysterious ways.   A Young child die horribly.  We cant know gods plan.   Another child needs a transplant, and gets one at the last minute.  Praise be to god.  It's pathetic really.

Well this turned into a bit of rant, but seriously.  The number of times I have read a great conspiracy theory, and then at the last sentence they say something like "So pray to god that he saves us from such people" and it really makes me sigh.

I agree with everything Neo said.

Really how can you believe in such thing that doesn`t exists really. And its so contradictory that people go to college, study medicine (just example) and still believe in god LOL!!

How can you just pray for your sucess and don`t do anything to be sucessfull really, you are not going to get anywhere. (I didn`t say that you do this but most people do)

There is so much negativity in the world anyway, why would those folks exclude religion? My big issue is that "negative" people are usually not the best thinkers so most of what they talk about is foolishness. Actually, religion is easier to discuss with these type. Try politics, yikes are they just a collection of media BS! 

I "test the waters" in conversations with a general question just to hear where they are coming from. If the answer shows a distinct lack of logical though ability then I just joke around and keep it light. No reason to strain their brain.

Its curious how you use the word negative to really mean realistic or thoughtful.  Other posters think that non believers should RESPECT their beliefs.

Tell me, do you respect the beliefs of Islam that insist that women are uneducated and covered up at all times so they are not raped, and are effectively second class citizens in all ways.

Should you respect someone's beliefs even when they are harmful or backward?

I will just calmly say my point if I'm being challenged to prove them something regarding the veracity of my religion, but I will definitely not let it get to a point where I will get into heated arguments because of it.

I myself am not religious, but I do believe in God and have my own relationship with Him. I hear many people talking negatively about God, but it doesn't upset me. They just don"t know Him like I do.

I believe everyone is entitled to their own opinions and beliefs. If someone chooses not to accept God, it is disheartening, but to each his own.

If they persist in an attempt to begin a heated debate or argument, I smile, shrug and say "whatever".

I think I would confront them. I don't think you can let someone get away with something like that because that is deeply insulting. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying I would do something physical against them, but I would give them a piece of my mind. I am fine if someone doesn't agree with me and my beliefs but their is no need to insult and belittle somones beliefs because you wouldn't like that done to you.

I think I would confront them. I don't think you can let someone get away with something like that because that is deeply insulting. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying I would do something physical against them, but I would give them a piece of my mind. I am fine if someone doesn't agree with me and my beliefs but their is no need to insult and belittle somones beliefs because you wouldn't like that done to you.

But surely you should mock people who believe stories from the time people thought the earth was flat? 

There are lots of articles out there that clearly show how the Christian religion was adapted from the Egyptian gods.  Christmas is the time of the winter solstice, which just happens to have been a major celebration, again stolen to become Christ's birthday.

Why do people no longer believe in Zeus, Thor, or Ra?  Because these are now seen as made up gods by the superstitious people of the times, and yet some people cant make the link to realise that all gods are made up.   If I said I worshipped Ra, would you see that as something to be respected, or something to be mocked?  They are control mechanisms, and comforting,  throw away your blanket, evolve.

Feel free to confront me and prove how your religion isnt made up from previous religions and is based on facts.

Honestly if they are the demeaning type you should ignore them. If you see only hate from their words its no point in talking unless you wish to deal with a pointless conversation. If you see that person is negative but wants to understand, then explain your beliefs and why they stand true to you. As a Muslim in today's society where so much garbage and hate has been thrown at my religion I have become accustomed to the harsh words of others and I find ignoring them the best way.

As an Atheist I get this everyday. If someone has something negative to say about my beliefs I will confront them and stand up for my choice. If they can't refute what I say than I walk away with a huge smile on my face. So, pretty much I make them feel extremely stupid just so maybe they change their minds. 

It works both ways really. I used to ride the train home with 2 fellow classmates. One was a Christian, the other an atheist. They would go on and on about why they believed what they believed, until the point where I had to stop it. Not because I wasn't enjoying the conversation, but because they where starting to raise there voices. Personally I think that's a rude thing to do on a public train. 

Anyway, from them I have learned not to insult people because of what they believe. And if people try to teach me their "truth" and start disrespecting me while doing so, I usually stop taking them seriously.

The one thing I like to remember is, that we can always agree to disagree. One's truth or belief is not necessarily the other's. They in their own right are entitled to what they beiieve.

It's always best to catch flies with HONEY!!!  If you want to push someone away, confront them with hate and negativity.  If you want to win them over, embrace them with open arms.  The best way to get people to accept what you believe in, is to be a good example to them.  If you're a Christian, and you want them to look at Christianity as being a good thing, then you cannot come across as being judgmental, or negative.  Show them that you love them, and accept them for who they are as well as the differences you share.  That's the best way to deal with negative people.

Guest luifranc

I usually just ignore them unless they things personally. I know we are subject to our opinion so I'd give them that. But if they step beyond what I can bare like if they're already insulting my being, then that's a different story. They will really hear from me. But I will try to be rational on my reactions though.

This is a very good point. One of the hardest lessons to learn in life is to pick your battles. Some people simply aren't worth you trying to explain your beliefs to, because there is simply no way to get through, or to get them to even consider the possibility that your views might just have some standing. So I can't say that I have one particular method for dealing with people who react negatively toards my belief. it depends on what kind of energy the person is giving off, as to whether I will attempt to enlighten them to what I believe and why I believe it, or not.

Guest HuggsX3

I am one to speak of religion in a negative light because I dislike abuse, corruption, etc. I don't like the violence, hatred, and contradictions in the bible. I don't make fun of other's regions, but I do not act like I like their religions just because they are preaching it to me. I hate it when people are so close minded that they only believe what their church has told them. I don't like that they judge gay people, assault victims, or anyone else. I am a christian, but I do not like to be preached to by people who claim to be better Christians than me. Their hatred disgusts me, and I will talk about religion negatively because there are so many things wrong with organized religion. Alot of people strongly involved with organized religion are extremely close mined, and they think that just because someone doesn't agree with them they are wrong. 

I totally argument, I am really stuborn so whenever I think I'm right, I keep insisting till the persons quits arguing...

If I get bored talking about religion, which is a very personal and oddly varied subject, I just say: ''Keep your toughts and I will keep mine''.

"So why in the 21st century would people still believe in made up stories that were obviously created to control the population, and when you dig a little deeper you can clearly see the made up bits taken from other religions especially the Egyptian gods."

People still believe in made up stories because they have been thoroughly brainwashed and it started at birth or shortly there after. They refuse to "dig a little deeper,"  they refuse to do research because if they come across something that disagrees with their 2000-year-old holy book, they feel they are "sinning against God," or committing blasphemy, or might be looked at as being a heretic.

I tell my fundamentalist believing family and friends (if they dare to listen) to look up at the stars on a clear night, then set aside some time to study the cosmos. Once you get a slight understanding of the universe you will begin to see how silly and ridiculous these religious stories are. There's absolutely no way the earth and the universe could be less than 10,000 years old. There's absolutely no way that the biblical God could have made the universe in 7 days (actually 6 because he "rested on the 7th day"). There's no way the Red Sea was ever "parted."  There's no way the Sun stood still for 24 hours. There's no way a donkey talked, no way a man walked on water, raised the dead, turned water into wine.

The "Annunciation, Conception, Adoration, and birth of Jesus," is almost an exact replica of the "Annunciation, Conception, Adoration, and birth of Horus," told 3000-5000 years before the Jesus story. Noah's Ark comes from the Epic of Gilgamesh. The Moses, baby in a basket story, comes from Sargon of Akkad, a Semitic Akkadian emperor, famous for his conquest of Sumeria. Akkad reigned between 2334 - 2279 BC. At birth, Sargon of Akkad was placed in a reed basket in order to avoid infanticide, and set adrift in a river. He was in turn rescued and raised by Akki, a royal mid-wife. Sound familiar?

The aforementioned scriptures are just a few of a plethora of plagiarized bible stories.

Those who believe the bible to be the word of God, would believe that elephants could fly, if the story was told to them shortly after birth, and constantly reinforced during the formative years of their lives. Decades later, as adults, they would still believe that elephants could fly. Why? Because most people do not read anything of substance, or significance. If they do read, they read from their respective holy books, or books written by religious authors who believe the exact same garbage they do.

"The trouble with being brainwashed is thinking you haven't been brainwashed."