Sign in to follow this  
Trinity

Amazon: The truth behind the click

I think this is a documentary that everyone who uses Amazon should watch.

Can they justify using a business that treats people like slaves?  That puts viable competition out of business by running at a loss?   That pays no tax?

Ex-Amazon workers talk of 'horrendous' conditions

Some might remember this documentary I posted 2 years ago.  Today the Daily Mail reveals nothing has changed.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5118951/Amazon-staff-complain-conditions-Tilbury.html

• Amazon staff have been pictured sleeping on the job in Tilbury warehouse
  • Staff claim they are shattered from having to meet punishing warehouse targets
  • The revelations come at a time when Amazon has promised to improve the treatment of staff following accusations of poor conditions and low pay 

But one worker in Tilbury reportedly complained: ‘At my induction, someone was asking why the staff turnover was so high. It’s because they’re killing people. All my friends think I’m dead. I’m exhausted.’

Another is said to have written on a whiteboard for staff comments: ‘Why are we not allowed to sit when it is quiet and not busy? We are human beings, not slaves and animals.’  

The problem with this situation, is everyone feels like money is short.  With sky high UK taxes, and then another 20% taken off in VAT people rightly feel they need to get from the cheapest place to make ends meet.

And if you look through the comments there are a lot of people who do not care about their fellow man's conditions.   "Should have worked harder at school",   "I worked longer than that"   "Try being a fisherman / nurse / insert their job"    "millennials need not apply"

This, I'm afraid, is the new business model and many, many companies are adopting it.  The industry I work in is as bad, if not worse, than what was talked about in that vid.  The thing is, by the time a few lawsuits pile up, by the time enough people have contacted and reported them to the Labor Dept, they've already raked in so much profit that their stockholders/cheerleaders are egging them on to find more loopholes to fair labor practices.  It's a losing battle and anyone caught up in it has no choice but to just walk away.