OhioTom76

My Computer Started Talking To Me Last Night

I was getting ready to hit the sack last night and locked my desktop computer into sleep mode. Shortly after I laid down, I hear this robotic voice coming from my computer address me by name saying "Hey Tom, sorry to bother you...". Needless to say this freaked me the hell out so I got up right away and ran over to my computer to see what was going on. Initially I thought I had gotten hacked or something.

The culprit? Turns out it was an extension I had just installed in Chrome to check my Gmail. There is a feature baked into it where it will do a text to speech preview of your incoming emails if it detects you are away from your computer for a given amount of time. Turns out a friend of mine had sent me an email just before I laid down, lol. I have to admit though, it got me pretty good for a moment there. :D

Holy crap I would have pissed myself! Especially since I'm kinda scared at the rate technology is developing these days! 

Haha that sounds pretty funny, but I to be honest it would freak me out too. Good to hear you didn't die of a heart attack after such an experience though, lovely to have you with us still :)

At least it did not say "Tom, why are you ignoring me? Tom, what are we doing for Valentine's day? Tom, I'm hot, did you get me the new cooling stand we talked about?

Oh wow, I would be so frightened had I that voice heard that creepy voice right before I laid down. I don't think I would be able to go to sleep after that one. Especially, if I am sleeping alone. I definitely wouldn't want to install that on my computer. I have never heard of this program, I may check it out for a few seconds because my boyfriend would love that. He has a small business and he is always away from his computer and he would definitely need something like this to let him know that he has new mail. It will allow him to respond to his emails promptly. Nice story by the way!  :lol:

What an amusing story.  :D I don't use Gmail that often, but I don't think I would install that extension in Chrome. I might get surprised as well when a random voice starts talking to me!  :lol:

Haha. I like it. I'd of been totally freaked out by that and maybe started talking back before I realized how stupid I was being. It does get me thinking though, if there's backdoors installed in software or hardware by government agencies. For instance, could your webcam be remotely turned on? Or, despite your phone being turned off, could the GPS still be actively tracking your location? Just thoughts.

It's a good thing you figured out what is was, because going to bed knowing your computer just talked to you, it would be hard to get to sleep after that, and lets just say your dreams wouldn't be so sweet. That is pretty funny. 

Guest Guest

Well, that's a little different...at least the email story checks out ;).

At least it did not say "Tom, why are you ignoring me? Tom, what are we doing for Valentine's day? Tom, I'm hot, did you get me the new cooling stand we talked about?

:D :D :D This is one of the funniest things I've read online in quite awhile.

I don't use Chrome that often, but I won't be installing that extension. I'm not ready for talking computer despite my love of Star Trek.

:D :D :D This is one of the funniest things I've read online in quite awhile.

I don't use Chrome that often, but I won't be installing that extension. I'm not ready for talking computer despite my love of Star Trek.

I'm a Star Wars fan much more than a Star Trek fan, but I'll have to agree with you on that. I prefer Firefox, but I don't want an extension to talk to me randomly.

I was getting ready to hit the sack last night and locked my desktop computer into sleep mode. Shortly after I laid down, I hear this robotic voice coming from my computer address me by name saying "Hey Tom, sorry to bother you...". Needless to say this freaked me the hell out so I got up right away and ran over to my computer to see what was going on. Initially I thought I had gotten hacked or something.

The culprit? Turns out it was an extension I had just installed in Chrome to check my Gmail. There is a feature baked into it where it will do a text to speech preview of your incoming emails if it detects you are away from your computer for a given amount of time. Turns out a friend of mine had sent me an email just before I laid down, lol. I have to admit though, it got me pretty good for a moment there. :D

That would have freaked the hell out of me lool

Guess I will install that on some friends pc's and have some fun with them :D

Guest Guest

Thankfully you can turn this feature off, because the extension itself is rather useful. I just wish they would have been a little more up front about this feature in advance. I can't imagine it being terribly practical in an office or if you are around a lot of other people, since it's essentially making your private emails public (at least partially).

Thankfully you can turn this feature off, because the extension itself is rather useful. I just wish they would have been a little more up front about this feature in advance. I can't imagine it being terribly practical in an office or if you are around a lot of other people, since it's essentially making your private emails public (at least partially).

Imagine receiving a mail from your wife, "Hey honey you know what you'll get tonight?"

That would be really akward :D

That's funny. For a while i thought you were completely telling rubbish until you told us the culprit. Maybe you could put your computer on mute whenever you want quiet time.

Glad I could be of service Tara. Laughter is the best medicine and I dispense it whenever I can. My boss actually said to me a week ago "Does the sarcasm ever stop?"

"Nope!"

As soon as a read the title to this thread, I was like, "No way did this person's computer talk to him for real.' LOL

But then I read the thread and got a better grasp on what happened, and then that resulted in my bursting in in laughter. I do, however, wouldn't be surprised if there were devices in computers or laptops that were monitoring people in some way. Apparently, household appliances such as fridges and kettles have been said to house such devices.

Could just be schizophrenia if objects in your home and office begin talking to you. Now, it's different for me, I can fix things and one way I fix things is that they "talk" to me and tell me what's wrong with them and how they would like to be working.

Luckily that's not schizophrenia.

You should've been happy. It could be skynet's awakening. By the tone of your computer I'd say it was trying not to scare you and maybe even interested in having you as an ally. Which would be a better future than most humans after judgment day wouldn't you say?

In all seriousness though, I think I'd be pretty scared too. I'll stick with reading my own e-mails,