Sign in to follow this  
Dante848

Humans and Existance

Rate this topic

I put this in religion, because I know a lot of people look to faith to explain existence.

But for those of you that don't, do you think we will ever really understand existence itself? Know where we came from or what our purpose, if any, is?

It is something that really rattles your brain, just thinking about existence itself, and trying to understand it. 

I believe on the Bible, regardless of what other people think or say. There is a passage somewhere in there, that alludes to the fact that we are here for God's glory, to honor him, and try to do His will. I think of life as an experiment, often wondering what will happen next, especially after death. Cheers.

I have always wondered what is the purpose of our existence too, and I read that we are here on Earth to learn lessons, and when we die, the 2 questions that will be asked of use is whom have we helped and what lessons did we learn, so now I'm not surprised anymore that each person on Earth has problems, because those are the ways that God uses to make us learn life lessons while we are living here on this Earth.

We understand plenty about existence without religion, as far as I can see. Through scientific study, we examine and identify the things within existence. 

Personally, I know that I exist from direct experience. And, I can look out and see that other people and things exist. (To anyone who says we can't know anything because we can't trust our senses, I say: are you sure about that? and if so, how do you know that if you can't trust your senses?)

The primary question is: how, then shall I live? The answer is different for every person as far as purpose goes. As humans we know we must act in order to live. Human life takes effort to sustain. So, I don't look to religion to answer the question of how I should live. I look to my own needs and desires, which include interacting civilly with those around me. From that foundation, I proceed to live.

The only sure thing is that existence is infinitely stranger than we can imagine. On a quantum level it is determined that an observer of particles actually effects the outcome of an experiment. I gave that some thought and it seems to indicate that we can change reality just by observing, even if it is on the smallest scale. I believe there is design in creation and that God is behind the marvel that is life.

Yeh that's an interesting question. I think we will probably find everything out, when we die. As for humans having a purpose I would say our only purpose on this planet is to live, some people chose to live religiously, and some don't. If we had a purpose I feel it would be ingrained in our DNA, in a way it is, survive and reproduce.

In my opinion, thought experiments are just that: thoughts and they do not "determine" or prove anything. In general, I think it is best to rely on one's own observations when dealing with reality in one's life. This eliminates a lot of confusion and ensures that one's behavior is grounded in reality instead of muddied by the thought experiments and mathematical theories of academics creating the narrative they wish the populous to believe. 

It is my opinion, that this scene was the 'meaning' scene of the whole movie, snuck in the early parts so people wouldn't notice. It's odd, it sort of fleshes with the Cathar/Buddhist outlook of nurturing the soul to deserve to go to heaven.

You have to find your own meaning of life and existence. I think Earth is the lowest form of hell - we are put here to suffer a bit and learn from it, so that we better ourselves in the process. If we achieve that right balance, we can slip past this barrier back to wherever it is a soul comes from. If we fail, well, some religions say you keep coming back (not necessarily as a human, either) until your soul gets it. That's why the devout Cathars and similar religions didn't eat meat. And I think that's where the root of the phrase, "You are what you eat" comes from.

I'm not really religious so much as spiritual, but I doubt we'll ever know the exact 'whys' of existence...if there even are any for us to discover. Would it really change so much? Is it really such a hindernce to our path not knowing? I'm pretty content with more intriguing questions, personally.

I have always contemplated the "whys" of us being here and where we all came from. It is a very big subject to analyze. Especially with all that goes on in the world today. For example we have wars, violence, rape, theivery, and the list goes on. To me thats just results of peoples past and future choices. I am a more go with the flow type individual. For me religion is all about the individuals opinion on the subject. The reason I consider myself to be agnostic though, is take the word religion for instance. What does that one word mean to you? What is the purpose of that word? Is that word a foreground for what religion truly is? These are all individual multi-answer questions with multiple responses. What I'm basically getting at is there are tons of religions out there with factions in between. There is as many religions as there are choices of clothing to wear in a 7 day week. Nowadays everyone puts other religions down and calls theirs false belief when in reality, who know which is true and which isn't. Take the quaran and some of the other dominant religions. They tend to start the same way as the bible has with a virgin birth and the Holy One. The difference however is the names and the language. Theres still seperate guidelines of how you are supposed to live life. Here's my opinion on religion after all of my blabbing that made no sense to many. I feel if there truly was a perfect God, he would want us as humans to be happy, be successful, do right by others, and be good people. If thats a sentence to Hell i shall gladly take a one way ticket. LOL

I think before we discuss "purpose," we need to first define what purpose is. In my mind, purpose is our biological reason to continue living. Modern day intricacies aside, the purpose of any organism is to further the survival of it's species, whether it be by mitosis in simple organisms or meiosis to help breed more complex organisms like humans. In my humble opinion, religion was constructed by humanity to unite independent tribes in the days of antiquity as well as instill a moral code. Simple rules like don't steal things that aren't yours and don't hurt people or else God, who is all seeing (eliminates chance of getting away with it), will punish you in the afterlife. I do understand the arrogance of acting like I know the purpose of life itself, but that's my in-depth interpretation. 

I think before we discuss "purpose," we need to first define what purpose is. In my mind, purpose is our biological reason to continue living. Modern day intricacies aside, the purpose of any organism is to further the survival of it's species, whether it be by mitosis in simple organisms or meiosis to help breed more complex organisms like humans. In my humble opinion, religion was constructed by humanity to unite independent tribes in the days of antiquity as well as instill a moral code. Simple rules like don't steal things that aren't yours and don't hurt people or else God, who is all seeing (eliminates chance of getting away with it), will punish you in the afterlife. I do understand the arrogance of acting like I know the purpose of life itself, but that's my in-depth interpretation. 

I agree with you, for the most part. But religion (until very, very recent times) became a means of staying in power. If the Church had always acted with men and their souls in mind, there wouldn't have been Crusades, witch burnings, the destruction of competing (but Christian) religions, and most of the horror that became associated with it. The Inquisition itself is all I need to bring up when condemning it.

But religion started out with benevolence in mind, I agree. The human spirit has a need to feel fulfilled, and to try to do something with itself, and religion can be a great outlet for this energy. But I still think humanity doesn't need a book and a white cap to reach that fulfilment, it takes realization on the person's part of their place in the scheme of things and how they impact the world.

I guess that most people are focused with their little petty lives at this moment.
If there is truly something that we were created for, that we exist for, I believe that we will find it out sooner or later.
If not, we are just surviving, and will keep surviving.

I guess that most people are focused with their little petty lives at this moment.

If there is truly something that we were created for, that we exist for, I believe that we will find it out sooner or later.

If not, we are just surviving, and will keep surviving.

I think the vast majority of people have lived and died never having found out what they existed for.  Personally I think that people just exist, there is no reason, it just is.

It is comforting to think that there is some big plan, and that things happen for a reason.  But if they do, what about death and disease, does that happen for a reason too?

I think the vast majority of people have lived and died never having found out what they existed for.  Personally I think that people just exist, there is no reason, it just is.

It is comforting to think that there is some big plan, and that things happen for a reason.  But if they do, what about death and disease, does that happen for a reason too?

Well we could go into a hot topic regarding religion and god about that.

Anyway you said it all, for some people it's comforting to think that there is a big plan, many people don't follow this tought anymore because basically, hundreds of years ago life was way harder, and especially humans couldn't understand a lot of things that used to happen.

Regarding death, it happens to everyone, it's one of the certain things in life. Diseases can be considered just as a plague like humans can be considered a plague to the planet.

I believe we can only have a better understanding of this existence, between lives. That's what I've gathered from what I've read, coupled with certain life experiences. I read a few years ago, about "Amnesiac Blocks." A situation that occurs when we incarnate on this particular planet (supposedly because we come here to learn, to grow, and to release bad karma) and why we don't recall previous lives. I recently read that some planets, some dimensions that we may experience somewhere along our evolutionary journey, the Amnesiac Block does not occur, which means that, in that particular environment, we do remember past lives.

If there is any truth to this (I believe it was in the book, Destiny of Souls), it would mean that those beings that incarnate on planets where its inhabitants can collectively store information about a past life, are probably much more advanced than we are.

Before anyone tries to criticize or ridicule my statements, this is MY OPINION, and you certainly don't have to agree.

Bill Hicks has already answered this.

"Today, a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration – that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There's no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather.”

It's funny because even though he was a comedian (one of the best in a long time). He pretty much hit the nail right on the head here. What you see with your eyes is not what is there, but the light reflection off of particles. Matter is almost completly empty space. Energy condensed to a slow vibration. This is varifiable scientific truth. Interestingly enough it's also what the Vedas have been trying to tell us all alone. Which is where a lot of thhese kinds of ideas come from. They tell us that the everything that exist IS god. Not that it was created by god, but that it is part of the universe, and that the universe in it's entirety is god. Nothing in our universe exist outside of our universe. There are other universes and they have thier own things going on there.

The fundamental factor of existence is conciousness, modern science has some things to say on this as well. Going so far as to point out that the universe seems to work in a similar fashon as the brain. But this is all very therorettical. But it also fits in with with my own personal expierience, but that's probably a story for another time. 

It is interesting though when you consider how prevalent mind altering drugs are in these very old religions, and then compare them with the things that people come up with now while on heavy doses of psychedelics. The shamans of South America say the plants themselves are teachers, and it seems that rather you're a hippy hanging out at Burning Man, a Greek philosopher high on Ergot (contains LSA the precurser to LSD), or a Shaman of anytime drinking Ayahuasca the ideas all sound remarkably similar. Life has A LOT to do with conciousness. In fact it may be one of the central keys to understanding the whole thing.

It is interesting though when you consider how prevalent mind altering drugs are in these very old religions, and then compare them with the things that people come up with now while on heavy doses of psychedelics. The shamans of South America say the plants themselves are teachers, and it seems that rather you're a hippy hanging out at Burning Man, a Greek philosopher high on Ergot (contains LSA the precurser to LSD), or a Shaman of anytime drinking Ayahuasca the ideas all sound remarkably similar. Life has A LOT to do with consciousness. In fact it may be one of the central keys to understanding the whole thing.

To piggyback on what "TwistedReality" stated...

Shamanism dates back to 1250 BC, and is one of the oldest spiritual systems, and healing arts known to mankind. Shamans used psychoactive plants, such as the Peyote Cactus, and related substances, to not only heal, but they provided a gateway into the spiritual world. The primary ingredient in these psychoactive plants is a substance called dimethyltrptamine (DMT).

Humankind loss the ability to connect to the spirit world, to literally speak and engage with Divine Intelligence when conquering Spaniards replaced Shamanistic rituals and practices with Christianity.

DMT is not a drug, it exist in all living entities, including plants, animals, and humans. Considered the messenger molecules, or the language of plants, DMT is used to mediate their relationships with other organisms in the environment. It is also what humans have used and can use to mediate our relationship with the cosmos and our universal environment.

Dreams are triggered by DMT. The near death experience is caused by a massive dose of biologically inflicted DMT, which is what creates the experience with "Light Beings" or a "Being of Light," that many believe to be God or Divine Intelligence. It's as if Divine Intelligence placed this substance in every living entity for the purpose of communication between all species.