Organ transplants for the rich

It's true that the one thing we can't buy is health isn't it? I used to hear stories about organizations letting certain people die in hospitals in order for the ultra rich to get their compatible organs. I know it may seem a bit much but there's even a fictional movie on the subject, called Coma. So do the rich extend their lives with our "parts"?

Well, I don't know that this actually happens, but if it did and the rich were buying these organs from volunteer donors, then I don't see that there is much of a moral problem with it. Individuals own their bodies, in my way of looking at things, and so they have every right  to sell any parts they would like to sell. I did not see the movie Coma so I don't know that reference. But, in theory, I am for people being able to sell a kidney or something they could live without, if they choose to do so. And, if they did sell something, then it would then be the property of the buyer. There is a bit of class warfare in the way you put it - "do the rich extend their lives with OUR parts" that strikes me as class-ist, which I find offensive because the scenario you set up is a free market exchange. That's a win-win situation to me.

That's an interesting theory, but I would believe so.
I'd say that rich powerful people would easily get what they want, with the power of money..
So it wouldn't be hard for them to find some doctor to bribe, so he would get the organ as fast as possible and straight to the rich guy.

I doubt that's the case about organ transplantation (though honestly, I think it's a bit ridiculous that you COULDN'T sell your own organs if you wanted to). I do think some things may be more accessible to the rich in terms of healthcare, though. It wouldn't surprise anyone.

I'm on board with most other people in this thread. Although organ transplantation isn't the most refined of sciences, I can guarantee you there's some rich billionaire out there funneling lots of money into alternative research for anything that ails him, as well as long term solutions like how to counteract aging and cell death. They've got more disposable income than most of us will ever see in our lifetime as well connections with some of the greatest scientific minds. What's to stop them from starting a few science projects? 

I do not know if it's true or not, but it does not seem improbable to me. Many persons including the rich need organs to survive, and persons have been known to go to the extremes in order to survive. As far as I have heard, there are times when persons may harvest organs illegally in order to make money, or to use these organs in research after a person dies. When someone dies, we can only hope that they were not killed so that their organs could be harvested, the thing about is this, after someone dies there is no guarantee that one or two organs will not be harvested.

Is it necessarily a bad thing? Necessity mothers invention, and the rich have far more needs these days than you or I do. It makes sense they'd use their income to fix their health, and sometimes it ends up starting whole new things rolling. Imagine, if a failing heart patient ends up being the one that funds the team that discovers how to make a pig heart human compatible?

I don't like the idea of money making skipping over waiting lists though. All the money in the world doesn't make you more valuable than anyone else.

In a true free market, I can sell my organs to the highest bidder. :D I find nothing immoral with a consentual transaction. However, if the healthcare system is pushing the rich to the front of the line for donated organs, then there would be a problem.

I think the legalization of voluntary organ sales wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, especially for non-vital organs/tissues such as kidneys or blood. I think there are probably a lot of people in the world that would certainly be willing to sell a non-vital organ in order to help pay for other things. In addition, the number of people on the waiting list for these organs would be more likely to live if potential donors had an incentive to donate. Of course, such a market would need to be regulated heavily by the government to prevent people from being coerced into dangerous surgeries. In addition, creating a 'market' for organs may make it more difficult for poor people to obtain much needed organs (even on the wait list).