Rate this topic

If we consider influences on William James or his enduring legacy and impact on others this effort would fast become another Seth Speaks. It could be a triple volume endeavour without going too far into Emerson or the twelve steps program which the founder of that group gave William James credit for having been a founding member - due to his despair or his need to associate with some credentialed sources. The matter of secret societies which Whitehead also researched is one that I think has importance to William James research due to his father's role in Swedenborgian thought or what became Theosophy and even influenced George Washington. The concept of channelling is most relevant in Swedenborgian beliefs - and I humbly suggest the great hallucinations he suffered are shared in the lives of many people who suffer depression during traumatic growth periods of their lives. Hitler and shared hypnosis (Animal magnetism or Mesmerism) or trance channelling is all part of the continuum of dream state and other visionary experiences - reality has become amorphous.

I have not had these kinds of experiences even though I have had things more real happen from the 'great beyond'. I like to think my explorations have yielded more fruit than hallucinations and that I have shown the likes of Blavatsky and Bulwer-Lytton (or others who founded new churches or religions) as frauds even if they did actually believe the angels they spoke with were real. They had a better grasp on history through their understanding of things called occult and which had been forbidden by the Church even though within the Church you had many occultists making new constructs to control people with. The thread on Swedenborg is worth serious study.

I do not accept the propositions forwarded by the next author about religion. I regard spiritual pursuits outside ecclesiasties as more of a real religion and I define religion as what you do, not what you say you believe as you join powerful groups to gain influence. If this person credited James as a founder (along with Emerson who was influential in the philosophy of James) of the New Age; I would agree. These so-called New Age gurus are many and there is really nothing new in any of them.

"William James (= WJ),  who lived from 1847  to 1910,  was considered the father of American Psychology. He also came from a Swedenborgian family.  Approximately a century ago, he combined his interests in theology, philosophy and physiology and started the first college program in Psychology at Harvard University. Probably every academic Psychology Department in this country can trace its roots back to William James and the first Psychology textbook: The Principles of Psychology. In fact, many campuses even name major campus buildings after him, including the Psychology Department’s building on the Harvard University campus (right across the street from Cambridge’s  Swedenborg Chapel, by the way!). There is no doubt about the fact that WJ was a major historical figure in the study of the social sciences in this country.  But did his Swedenborgian perspective travel along with this influence in academia?

“James inherited his lifelong interest in religion from his Swedenborgian father”, Henry James, Sr. (Niebuhr, 1997).  They both felt that religion was the most important aspect of a human being, and that it had the capacity to change lives. One would hope that with all of WJ’s  fame and notoriety among the well educated people at the turn of the century, that the New Church would spread through his influence on academic curricula. This seems like the obvious path of the transmissions of these ideas.

But something happened that filtered out the emphasis WJ placed on religion, even though his focus on the human mind was adopted. Perhaps it was due to the emerging modern age of science. Maybe it was because Darwin wrote a widely read book during that same era, entitled  the Origin of Species, which de-emphasized theology.  For whatever reason, religion went out of vogue on college campuses, around the same time that psychology was established as a new discipline. Even though WJ  was a theist and encouraged people to study the spiritual aspect of human life, this “most important of all human functions” according to WJ,  was not widely studied by most of his students and followers on college campuses (Gorsuch, 2003.  So, the majority of the psychologists of the twentieth century studied people, but ignored religion, as if it was irrelevant."

Darwin was very religious and his book did not negate theology as this person says. It did change the lies in many religions or cause them to adapt to meet a better understanding of the evolving human brain, mind and soul, which James and Bucke certainly are a part of, alongside Transcendentalists and Eastern religions which have many disciplined offshoots like Yoga.

WJ: "Ok, you want to grill me on the nature of Illuminati origins of my Swedenborgian father. I see you have written many volumes on the whole arena and done a yeoman's research for many years if not all of your adult life. I think we agree on the current position you have although you still say things on either side of the issue. Yes, Swedenborg and others have experienced attunements due to depression and despair or trauma due to health issues like Tesla experienced and caused him to think he might actually be an alien. But you are wrong to withhold your commitment to what you are now engaging in with me. It is no illusion or hallucination, it is no different than what Swedenborg experienced or at least not much different; just because you are not dreaming or not experiencing visions. You prattle on about what Jung wrote in his foreword to the Tibetan Book of the Dead but just because a person sees what they BELIEVE as represented in their cultural gods or angels does not mean the representation of the fundamental energy has not one iota of validity. I think my father taught me well, and I have learned more about these matters than you have."

RB: "Good we are stipulating to the groundwork about the cultural nonsense including one specific group of people who are pursuing some mythical New World Order when in fact the same elites have sought both good and bad things for at least five millennia. You agree the occult has been used and abused and people seek visions to validate their BELIEF rather than do the hard work of real research. I do remember at the age of four having adult conversations about the "Is god Dead" Nietzschean debates that were transforming normative religious following. I can see now how my father applied his knowledge and desires to make a real difference through me, vicariously giving me a burden or curse that has made my life what it is. One of the categories of experience my father tried to teach me or encouraged in me was a "Pixie mind". "

WJ: "For you it would be difficult to have visions or do that kind of work; because you have a fear of mental disorders despite understanding how to avoid depression. You are not as much of a researcher in these matters as Jung - and you admit that. So be clear - you cannot fool mother nature.. He -he. But yes, we would not waste this time with you if you had not experienced many attunements or what you like to somewhat foolishly call At - one -ments in your jester role as a Bard like Blake who followed in Swedenborg's radical footsteps just as many other radical Enlightenment or Illuminized people have. In this realm the people you call neo-Druids are still evident but real Druids are just as hard to find. Rome was indeed very effective in their effort to wipe it out. Yes, it would be nice if such a Brotherhood could be real again but as you note it was sell outs to power from these same circles who created the castes and top-down hierarchies."

RB: "I learn more as the Fool than as a wise man. Do you think the over-indulgence in easy-answers from religion has corroded real disciplined wisdom to a dangerous level?"

WJ: "That is a certainty, but remember old scholars are not always happier and just because someone gave up on schooling does not make their soul useless. Your focus on karma and purpose is not good for every person even though it is a good psychological modality."