Do You Believe In Doppelgangers?

Basically, doppelgangers are creatures that look just like you. They imitate you for a short while and makes it's presence seen to other people who more often than not know you, and then disappears after he or she made the "appearance" and has confused you and the other people who know you. An example would be people may swear that you went to a certain room, but in reality you didn't budge out of your seat for the past 3 hours. That's a classic example of a doppelganger sighting. Here are some links about doppelgangers:

http://www.gods-and-monsters.com/doppelganger.html

http://paranormal.about.com/od/Doppelgangers/a/doppelgangers.htm

Most doppelganger sightings are harmless,but they may damage your reputation by doing evil things bearing your identity. Some say that they are a harbinger of death although I'm skeptical about this.

So my question would be, do you believe in doppelgangers? If yes, do you happen to have some doppelganger sightings? Feel free to share it here if you have. I haven't had any doppelganger experiences myself, but I think that they may exist. After all, a lot of people claim to have seen one.

I once saw my mom entering her bedroom while I was on the way to the living room. I said hi but she said nothing back. She didn't even acknowledge me. Upon arriving in the living room, I saw her sitting on the sofa. "Hey, how are you?" she said. I went back to the bedroom, but the 'doppelganger' mom wasn't there. 

I also had an app with people's ghost stories -- true stories. There was this kid who said he was in the garage, fixing his bike. The garage door was closed but it had a window in it. He saw his dad approach it and smile. He hand signalled for the kid to open the door. The kid didn't want to; he felt something was wrong. After refusing, the dad outside's fingers turned into claws, his eyes turned black and teeth sharp. He clawed at the window. 

Later on the kid asked his real dad if he was by the garage. His father seemed confused and said no. 

I suppose my post is about to get odd(er than I normally would post.)

It could be that the demons and djinn and all other sorts of trickster entities and malevolent forces on this earth, really are some manifestation of energy, are sentient, and find it amusing to muck with humans. In fact, regular ghosts as we know them could be the same thing - some just have the urge to do less pleasant things. The concept at heart, is that they are some kind of energy with a brain and it's bored.

I've heard of doppelgangers, and it's my opinion that the entity pretending to be you, just found it easy to attach onto your residual energy. Sometimes, it may even be an accident, since they are energy and may have just passed through your 'cloud' (No more Taco Bell, by the way) and caught up some of it.

I've also heard the stories where doppelgangers seem to haunt a particular person, or at the very least cause mischief, like Odili related. Some of them may have found a way/feel the need to do harm to a person. Or at the very least get their jollies scaring the crap out of people (and, by all rights, I feel the same urge sometimes.)

Alternatively, our brain has a tendency to put faces to things that are inanimate. You can see a smiley face as a face because it has the basic requirements to be a face - head, eyes, mouth. Now it's a face. Well, I think the brain can sense the energy of these entities, and if it's strong enough, it might try and associate that energy with a face. It may do such a bang-up job that it gives it a body, face, hands, and oh, they all look like someone they know. Some of these entities may not respond because they are a traditional ghost (non-responsive, possibly emo) that's just minding its own business, while some of these entities try to use it to their advantage.

I had a doppelganger sighting happen to me when I was a kid, where I saw my cousin's face pop up in my window - when he was living in Arkansas (I'm in Mississippi) and had no way to actually be present. Since then, I have a tendency to keep all my windows covered with a blanket, because even if I just put a face to a random energy, I don't like anyone looking in my window at me. xD

I once saw my mom entering her bedroom while I was on the way to the living room. I said hi but she said nothing back. She didn't even acknowledge me. Upon arriving in the living room, I saw her sitting on the sofa. "Hey, how are you?" she said. I went back to the bedroom, but the 'doppelganger' mom wasn't there. 

I also had an app with people's ghost stories -- true stories. There was this kid who said he was in the garage, fixing his bike. The garage door was closed but it had a window in it. He saw his dad approach it and smile. He hand signalled for the kid to open the door. The kid didn't want to; he felt something was wrong. After refusing, the dad outside's fingers turned into claws, his eyes turned black and teeth sharp. He clawed at the window. 

Later on the kid asked his real dad if he was by the garage. His father seemed confused and said no. 

That's creepy! The doppelganger turned into a monster! Most of the stories that I've heard are quite harmless, like the doppelganger just ignored them or ran away from them when they tried to talk to it like the doppelganger of your mom.

By the way, what is that app that you use? I'm fond of ghost stories too, so I'd like to check it out.

I suppose my post is about to get odd(er than I normally would post.)

It could be that the demons and djinn and all other sorts of trickster entities and malevolent forces on this earth, really are some manifestation of energy, are sentient, and find it amusing to muck with humans. In fact, regular ghosts as we know them could be the same thing - some just have the urge to do less pleasant things. The concept at heart, is that they are some kind of energy with a brain and it's bored.

I've heard of doppelgangers, and it's my opinion that the entity pretending to be you, just found it easy to attach onto your residual energy. Sometimes, it may even be an accident, since they are energy and may have just passed through your 'cloud' (No more Taco Bell, by the way) and caught up some of it.

I've also heard the stories where doppelgangers seem to haunt a particular person, or at the very least cause mischief, like Odili related. Some of them may have found a way/feel the need to do harm to a person. Or at the very least get their jollies scaring the crap out of people (and, by all rights, I feel the same urge sometimes.)

Alternatively, our brain has a tendency to put faces to things that are inanimate. You can see a smiley face as a face because it has the basic requirements to be a face - head, eyes, mouth. Now it's a face. Well, I think the brain can sense the energy of these entities, and if it's strong enough, it might try and associate that energy with a face. It may do such a bang-up job that it gives it a body, face, hands, and oh, they all look like someone they know. Some of these entities may not respond because they are a traditional ghost (non-responsive, possibly emo) that's just minding its own business, while some of these entities try to use it to their advantage.

I had a doppelganger sighting happen to me when I was a kid, where I saw my cousin's face pop up in my window - when he was living in Arkansas (I'm in Mississippi) and had no way to actually be present. Since then, I have a tendency to keep all my windows covered with a blanket, because even if I just put a face to a random energy, I don't like anyone looking in my window at me. xD

Nice explanation, luckily I haven't seen any doppelgangers yet, but you seem to think that they're pretty random spirits that just happen to copy your face. Don't you think that it can be a premeditated malevolence by an evil spirit?

Nice explanation, luckily I haven't seen any doppelgangers yet, but you seem to think that they're pretty random spirits that just happen to copy your face. Don't you think that it can be a premeditated malevolence by an evil spirit?

It's possible. I just suggested that the more harmless and normal entities may not even realize they're doing it.

Just like with a Ouiji board or something, an evil entity might feel the urge to seek out these energies and latch on, and use it to their advantage. Or they may come into it accidentally, and then just go ahead and see where it leads them. I suspect that if you're stuck on earth in energy form, you might not have that great of a social life and might just go nuts. You know, like emo kids.

I have heard of them but never experienced sighting one.  I do however believe in spirits or ghosts or whatever a person wants to call them.  

One time when I was home watching my kids I was in the kitchen making some snacks for us and when I finished cooking I brought the food into their playroom.  They were excited and asked me how did I do that.  Naturally I told them with a frying pan and they started to say, No...how did you walk through the wall and see if we were not getting into trouble.  This happened about 25 years ago but to this day they swear it happened!

So was it their imagination, a friendly doppelganger, a spirit...or was it me?

Oh man, I saw a movie about this when I was a kid. It freaked me out for weeks. Basically, the doppelganger was coming along and slowly taking your place, doing your job, meeting your friends. Then, when it was completely integrated into your life, it would get rid of you. I totally had nightmares about being replaced. I think I had a similar reaction to the Body Snatcher movies. lol.

• 2 weeks later...
It's possible. I just suggested that the more harmless and normal entities may not even realize they're doing it.

Just like with a Ouiji board or something, an evil entity might feel the urge to seek out these energies and latch on, and use it to their advantage. Or they may come into it accidentally, and then just go ahead and see where it leads them. I suspect that if you're stuck on earth in energy form, you might not have that great of a social life and might just go nuts. You know, like emo kids.

Yeah I guess so, it's possible that they might imitate someone on the spur of the moment, either because they're bored or they want to cause a commotion, you'll never know, lol.

I have heard of them but never experienced sighting one.  I do however believe in spirits or ghosts or whatever a person wants to call them.  

One time when I was home watching my kids I was in the kitchen making some snacks for us and when I finished cooking I brought the food into their playroom.  They were excited and asked me how did I do that.  Naturally I told them with a frying pan and they started to say, No...how did you walk through the wall and see if we were not getting into trouble.  This happened about 25 years ago but to this day they swear it happened!

So was it their imagination, a friendly doppelganger, a spirit...or was it me?

Well it certainly looked like there were 2 or more people that saw you because you said "kids", so it certainly can't be their imagination if there was more than 1 person that can attest to it. Maybe it was a doppelganger, but it could also be a spirit, but I haven't heard of "angelic doppelgangers" yet.  :lol:

Oh man, I saw a movie about this when I was a kid. It freaked me out for weeks. Basically, the doppelganger was coming along and slowly taking your place, doing your job, meeting your friends. Then, when it was completely integrated into your life, it would get rid of you. I totally had nightmares about being replaced. I think I had a similar reaction to the Body Snatcher movies. lol.

Nice, I'm very fond of horror movies, what is the title of that movie so that I can check it out? 

Doppelgangers are seriously real.

I've saw a lot of people who look like other people i know. It happens a lot, actually, more frequently since i got out of my little town and went to the city to study. You will see a lot more people arround you there, and a lot of them will defenitely look like people you know or have seen before. But the most difficult thing is to encounter your doppelganger, since you will be looking for someone who will definitely look like you.  :lol:

Yes I have heard of these creatures. But I have not personally experienced one. I may be wrong here but the way I understand things is this. Any spirit, demon, ghost, or angel cannot physically or otherwise do harm to anyone in this world. This does include doppelgangers. With that being said, whatever high-jinx these beings want to play it is harmless. And maybe it is for a good reason. Most entities and spirits that appear to us or others are there to protect or forwarn us. 

And I also remember a movie about Doppelgangers from year back. It had Drew Barrymore in it.

It sounds odd. I am open to anything. I have seen several people who look exactly like me. Both of us are humans. Who is the evil one in this scenario? I am kidding. I have never heard of anything like the Doppelganger. I have never seen one. I think some of us will never see a Doppelganger but it does not mean it does not exist.

Doppelgangers are seriously real.

I've saw a lot of people who look like other people i know. It happens a lot, actually, more frequently since i got out of my little town and went to the city to study. You will see a lot more people arround you there, and a lot of them will defenitely look like people you know or have seen before. But the most difficult thing is to encounter your doppelganger, since you will be looking for someone who will definitely look like you.  :lol:

Well good for you that you already have had many doppelganger sightings. I hope none of those people that you saw that were being imitated by doppelgangers experienced anything bad happen to them during that time frame.

Yes I have heard of these creatures. But I have not personally experienced one. I may be wrong here but the way I understand things is this. Any spirit, demon, ghost, or angel cannot physically or otherwise do harm to anyone in this world. This does include doppelgangers. With that being said, whatever high-jinx these beings want to play it is harmless. And maybe it is for a good reason. Most entities and spirits that appear to us or others are there to protect or forwarn us. 

And I also remember a movie about Doppelgangers from year back. It had Drew Barrymore in it.

I sure do hope that they do not have any intention to harm us. Anyway, I will check that film out. I hope that it's a good one.

Holy shoop de whoops, this is freaky.  Reminds me not to open threads that have ghost stories in them.

Anyway, I did have an experience a while back where a friend told me he saw me walking across a street, but he lived in England and I am in the USA.  Of course, this doesn't say much as people can look similar but not the same, but I found it to be interesting nonetheless.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I think that if it was a real person, then if you talk to them then they would respond, while a doppelganger would not respond at all. Based from the stories that I heard, doppelgangers act weird and they even run away from the person that talked to them. Your friend should've said hi to your lookalike and see how he'll respond.

Well, it depends on what you mean by a doppleganger.  If you are referring to someone who is a double of someone else, then yes I do believe there are some in the world.  In fact, I have had members of my family who have told me that they have actually encountered someone who looked exactly like me.  One of them actually thought it was me and engaged in a conversation with them.  Only to discover from me later that I hadn't been at the location on that day.  Now if your talking in some paranormal sense, I really can't answer that I have never actually encountered this kind of doppleganger, but I suppose they can exist as well.

Whilst I was in secondary school, I was asked by  P.E teacher what I had been doing and where I was over the weekend. I had thought that this was a bit of a strange request from a teacher, and it even crossed my mind that she may be asking me out on a date of some sort lol, but when I answered her question, she told me that she could have sworn that she saw me somewhere else, and that if it wasn't me then it was a girl who looked EXACTLY like me. I was a little weirded out by the situation at the time, but thinking back I have discovered that my father has more kids that he lied about not having, and so it is possible that the girl my teacher saw was my half sibling. If not, then she could have been someone who merely looked like me.

There are many stories like this in Southeast Asia where I grew up. I used to work in a factory that was known to be haunted. The local indigenous people who worked as machine operators always told me that the demon or ghost haunting the place had the ability to transform itself to look and sound like other people. 

There was an incident whereby late one evening, a clerk who was going home late suddenly looked up and saw someone sitting at the opposite desk. She was the only one in the building and she knew that the figure couldn't be any one of her colleagues. Being a superstitious person, she quietly walked away while silently saying a prayer. When she reached the main door she took one last look at the mysterious "being" sitting at her colleagues desk. It was dark and shadowy but the face seemed to resemble another colleague's a young woman who worked at the reception desk and who was on sick leave today. The figure seemed to be looking down and did not bother her. She quickly ran out and locked the office door! 

CCTVS in the building apparently catch sight of mysterious man-sized "shadows" that seem to drift around certain areas. The locals say that it is some kind of doppelganger spirit that likes to take the form of other people. Well, my poor ex-colleague must have seen something!

I always thought of the Doppelganger phenomena as a product of chance. Millions of millions of people in the world, with a not-so-random genetic recipe, couldn't thre be a few cases were the genetic result is almost the same? And two complete strangers, probably living in different continents end up looking exactly the same!

I always thought of the Doppelganger phenomena as a product of chance. Millions of millions of people in the world, with a not-so-random genetic recipe, couldn't thre be a few cases were the genetic result is almost the same? And two complete strangers, probably living in different continents end up looking exactly the same!

Hmmm, I had never quite thought about this topic in this way before. Thanks for propelling my thought there lol. I have considered the whole genetic factor in  dopplegangers before because that seems like it would be the most logical place to go to, but since we are all apparently connected and share similar genetics - if not the same - then it would make sense for what you're saying to be the cause of dopplegangers. I have seen dopplegangers for other people. One time I went out to a bar and I saw my friend from school. I scremed hello at her and even got up to give her a hug, all for her to look at me like I was crazy. I finally called her name and she told me that Natalie was not her name. My jaw literally hung ajar. I'm completely serious. The girl was the SPITTING IMAGE of this girl that i went to school with. Her father was known for sleeping around and having a litter of children, so I put it down to the fact that Natalie probably had another half sister that she may or may not know about.

• 2 weeks later...

I can attest that I also have a similar incident like yours where the person is like the exact carbon copy of the other person. Even the demeanor! But when I texted my friend asking if she happens to be in the mall at the province where I "saw" her, she says that it's not her. So the "non-related twin" of a person is quite common. But the creepy doppelgangers will probably not even talk to you when you talk to them, and their actions will be weird.