sidney

For Atheists: What Are The Reasons Why You Don't Believe In God?

Rate this topic

I was raised as a Roman Catholic, and I firmly believe in the Lord and in what our religion teaches us in general. Now I have always been curious to know how atheists have come to the conclusion that there is no God? At what point in your life did you realize that God does not exist and what has made you come to that conclusion?

I think it was when I was about 7 or 8, sat in some church forced to do some religious mumbo jumbo by the teachers at school.  It was obvious even at that tender age it was all made up.  i guess I've always been quite an evolved intelligent person.

Raised as a catholic too, but when I was around 12/13 I realized that there was no point in worshipping something that has never given me any proof of existance, neither helped me in any ocassion I needed.

Plus a lot of things are wrong in the Vatican, and why would I praise a religion that used to burn scientists and scholars for being right?

I think a lot of the people have a problem with the catholic church. That's why the protestants branched off.

What a lot of people don't realize about Christianity is that the new testament basically overrides the old testament. The old testament is only there to serve as a historical guide and introduction to better understand the new testament. A lot of the laws in leviticus became null and void with the death of Christ. That's why circumcision is replaced with baptism, for example.

But the catholic church had a few years where they abused their power, and I think that's when things started to go awry. And that's why different churches branched off, because they knew the catholics weren't on the right track anymore.

And then a lot of people ask for things, and when they don't get it they get upset. They ask things like "why didn't he save my family member when I prayed". But the whole "everything happens for a reason" thing doesn't make sense to them, because they want to know the reason. And whatever reason you will give them won't be good enough.

Just some of my thoughts on the matter. I may be right or I may be wrong.

People generally need to see something to believe it. There's also much tragedy going on in the world that people question why a loving God would allow these things to happen. When you look at it logically, there's more evidence to disprove the existence of God rather than support it and confirm it.

Every minute a person breathes, is a moment that should give them proof that God exists. When they come close to losing their life force, maybe their perspective will change, but a bit late. We as humans cannot alone, put breath into our bodies, if it leaves us.

I came to the conclusion no God existed when I found out Santa didn't exist. I looked at Santa and I said, "wow how did I believe this haha" then I looked at religion and said "wow how did I believe this haha." It's just ridiculous to me, too many contradictions and idiotic claims.

Guest Casey

I was raised as a christian. My family made me attend church every sunday until I was about 9. I still kept going until I talked to a few christians and go the overall idea. You must believe that God sent his only so Jesus to get crucified and then you can be saved and live forever in heaven. We are all sinners and have sinned so it doesn't matter how good or bad you have been, if you believe and repent you will be forgiven. To me this idea seems illogical.

Raised as a catholic too, but when I was around 12/13 I realized that there was no point in worshipping something that has never given me any proof of existance, neither helped me in any ocassion I needed.

Plus a lot of things are wrong in the Vatican, and why would I praise a religion that used to burn scientists and scholars for being right?

Yes I know that there area lot of anomalies in the Vatican, like our previous Popes are even freemasons, which I'm not surprised to know because Satan will try to infiltrate the Catholic Church by deception, just like what he did in the Garden Of Eden. The bible said that in the end times there will be a lot of misleading teachings in the Catholic Church and lots of cults and "religions" will sprout like mushrooms.

I actually have thought of that too, but sometimes even if it's an awful tragedy that has befallen upon man, maybe God is just testing the faith of His people, if they will still believe in Him or do the opposite and despise and blame him. After all, the purpose of our existence here on Earth is to learn life lessons.

I actually think of the same thing too, like when I look up in the sky I wonder what lies beneath it, and when I look around, I say to myself that someone very powerful must have created all of the things that I'm seeing.

Well maybe God just wants a little acknowledgement, because He knows that more people are inclined to not believe Him, so if you believe in Him and have faith in Him, and if you repent for your sins, then you will be forgiven.

I don't believe in a god because there is no good reason or evidence. Just think about it, you most certainly believe in god because that's the way you've been raised. You pray to god, but he never responded to you, don't tell me you prayed for something and it actually happened because there were enough occasions when something you prayed for didn't happen. There's also no way you could be sure that the god you believe in is the real one since there are so much more religions.

There is no rational reason to believe in any entity without evidence- be it God, FSM, IPU etc. Took a few years to come out of the indoctrination and brainwashing. And they're damn right when they say Internet is where religions come to die - it did help me a lot to think critically and lose my faith. Not just in religion, but in a lot of supernatural nonsense. 

Well maybe God just wants a little acknowledgement, because He knows that more people are inclined to not believe Him, so if you believe in Him and have faith in Him, and if you repent for your sins, then you will be forgiven.

Why? That sounds such an incredibly cheap thing to do. What kind of narcissistic guy is he then?  

I would also think that it all comes down to faith, if you do not believe, it will never seem logical, reasonable or sound. Perhaps God chooses to not reveal the mystery that He is, to you. He is after all, a mystery. Some will never know.

Some people are atheists because they just like to be against something and being against the believe in God is pretty much the biggest thing you can be against. Others are atheists because the think everything can be explained without having to introduce the idea of a supernatural being that controls everything around you. At the end, it all comes down to faith and what religion does for a community or culture.

I take your point, that would be an explanation. It can also be based on what you say, that they may be afraid to acknowledge a belief in something they can't see or touch, so it does come down to faith again.

Nah, I do actually believe in God, or some omnipotent being around us. I'm just no longer convinced that he loves us. Seriously. And I don't like churches, they just seem like some kind of extremely elegant propaganda machine. Religion is the reason I've never really met my father's side of the family. 

Nah, I do actually believe in God, or some omnipotent being around us. I'm just no longer convinced that he loves us. Seriously. And I don't like churches, they just seem like some kind of extremely elegant propaganda machine. Religion is the reason I've never really met my father's side of the family. 

Why do you believe that? Any reasons?

I guess it's hard to contest the fact that religious dogma stinks and has done enough damage to humanity as a whole. And damn right about Churches you are, propaganda machines which breeds misogyny, homophobia, and bigotry. Add the whole child abuse aspect and it's arguably worse than any Mafia chains.

There is no rational reason to believe in any entity without evidence- be it God, FSM, IPU etc. Took a few years to come out of the indoctrination and brainwashing. And they're damn right when they say Internet is where religions come to die - it did help me a lot to think critically and lose my faith. Not just in religion, but in a lot of supernatural nonsense. 

Why? That sounds such an incredibly cheap thing to do. What kind of narcissistic guy is he then?  

What is FSM and IPU? Anyway I agree with the other member that I think that it all boils down to your faith, because even if you were presented with a logical explanation, it will sound absurd to you because you think that we are worshipping something that  does not exist.

Those that believe in God need to believe that there is something better after this life; that all this effort they are putting forth is not for naught. The fear that this is all there is is too great for them to handle, and so cling to this notion that there's some guy who's ready to welcome them in to some 'heaven'. All logic used against this notion will be poo-poo'd away... 

Those of us who don't believe recognize that life and death are natural, we don't know what happens when we die (but we're pretty sure that we just die, and that's it) and while we know it kind of sucks that this is the extent of our lives--we try to enjoy life now instead being superstitious angry churchers. 

I stopped believing in God when I was 13. It just occurred to me, in the midst of several life changing events, that if there WAS a God, this stuff wouldn't have happened. 17 years later I realize what a simple thought that was, but somehow it stuck. Sometimes I'm a little sad that I don't believe because I look at those who do and see the simple-minded smiles on their faces, and realize they're happy thinking about the amusement park in the sky. "Ignorance is bliss", as they say. 

What is FSM and IPU? Anyway I agree with the other member that I think that it all boils down to your faith, because even if you were presented with a logical explanation, it will sound absurd to you because you think that we are worshipping something that  does not exist.

Flying Spaghetti Monster and Invisible Pink Unicorn. No, logic isn't subjective, let alone arbitrary. If you're talking of reasoning, yes faulty reasoning can be easily spotted, so it's hardly a matter of preference. And you're the one making a positive claim, so needless to  say the burden of proof is on you.

I believe in a greater power or energy that exists in this universe, but I don't believe in the "God" of the Bible.  The god of the bible is very confused.  He's a god of peace and a god of war.  Jealousy is a sin, but he's a jealous god.  He holds long grudges, and he likes to scare and torture his own children if they don't obey him and boost his ego.  He lets innocent children in Africa starve to death everyday.  I don't know how anybody could follow the god of the bible.

Just as there is good, I believe therefore there is God and since there is also bad, I believe there is Satan. Deuteronomy 29:29 "The secret things belong to the LORD our God, but the things revealed belong to us and to our children forever, that we may follow all the words of this law". The things that our human minds cannot comprehend belong to God and what we understand He has revealed to us. 

I think that a lot of atheists reject other people's notion of what God is, but the universe and life and the way that things are make too much sense for there not to be some type of inteligent life force out there. Even if you don't think that there is some man who lives in the sky - I don't believe in that image either - I think that you can still believe in God because the world and how everything is arranged, just calls for there to be a higher power that must exist.

Universe and life are in a way that somehow implies the existence of an intelligent creator? That's classic argument from incredulity. Either way, universe is hardly in perfect order, neither is our earth. And we have plenty of evidence regarding how life  came about and evolves. It doesn't make a deity necessary at all, whether it's a man who lives in the sky or higher power.

What a lot of people don't realize about Christianity is that the new testament basically overrides the old testament. The old testament is only there to serve as a historical guide and introduction to better understand the new testament. A lot of the laws in leviticus became null and void with the death of Christ. That's why circumcision is replaced with baptism, for example.

I concur.  I think many people are put off by Christianity because of the way so many christian preachers/teachers misinterperate the scriptures and the teachings of Christ.  Christianity is far from the only religion in which people cling to traditions and laws and even ask for more, but in the case of Christianity it seems that many believers completely misunderstand what Jesus taught and end up living their lives in complete contradiction to how he lived his. 

In the first place, the old testament laws (Torah) were brought about by requests of God's people and reflected God's anger with them for asking for documentation of rules in lieu of his presence.  When God told his people he was going to come down and meet with them, they begged him not to, expressing their fear of being in his presence.  They asked for something in writing and God gave them the 10 commandments.  When they questioned the commandments and wanted further clarification, he gave them the Torah.  The progression here was from harsh to harsher.

When Jesus came, he spoke about the pharisees putting a hedge about the law, i.e. making further laws to make extra sure no one broke any of the Mosaic laws.  This was an even harsher law enforcement.  Jesus responded by saying that he was not come to destroy the law, but to fulfill it and described how it is not possible for anyone to live by the law - "if you look at a woman to lust after her you have committed adultery" and therefore, "let he who is without sin cast the first stone".  He presented the harshest judgment of all - you are not capable of keeping the law and are thus condemned to death.  In so doing, he presented an alternative and an absolute freedom from even the lightest of penalties - just don't worry about the laws and accept God's gracious pardon by way of an intercessary who will accept the payment for your infractions on your behalf. 

Because of this, Christians should be the least judgemental and most forgiving and loving people in the world.  The fact that most people who profess to be Christians are extremely judgemental and critical of others shows that they don't really understand anything that Jesus was trying to teach them.

I believe in a greater power or energy that exists in this universe, but I don't believe in the "God" of the Bible.  The god of the bible is very confused.  He's a god of peace and a god of war.  Jealousy is a sin, but he's a jealous god.  He holds long grudges, and he likes to scare and torture his own children if they don't obey him and boost his ego.  He lets innocent children in Africa starve to death everyday.  I don't know how anybody could follow the god of the bible.

I'm also wondering why He lets other people suffer too, but I have come to accept that life is not fair, and others were just born lucky while others were born unlucky. If you believe in reincarnation and karma and learning our Earthly life lessons, then that also plays a huge part in our luck in life aside from personal effort. When I die I will definitely ask God why He allows bad things to happen, if it's possible to ask Him in person.