For Atheists: What Are The Reasons Why You Don't Believe In God?

Evoloution and Science don't leave much room for god and there is no tangible proof that god exists so I choose evoloution!

Religion just never added up to me. My questions were all silenced with some  lecture about faith and I was never fond of people preaching at me and telling me what to believe.

Science loves questions and proof and although we surely don't know everything at least the things we do know are based on facts and evidence!

So that's why I don't believe in god....

I'm also wondering why He lets other people suffer too, but I have come to accept that life is not fair, and others were just born lucky while others were born unlucky. If you believe in reincarnation and karma and learning our Earthly life lessons, then that also plays a huge part in our luck in life aside from personal effort. When I die I will definitely ask God why He allows bad things to happen, if it's possible to ask Him in person.

Interesting, so why do you worship god at all, even if you believe in his existence? Because there is no  conceivable excuse anyone could give for all the suffering in the world. Even reincarnation and karma is horribly unjust, even if we assume it to be true.

I am not an atheist. I underestand why atheists do not believe in God. Religious people are supposed to be the moral and social pillar of society and yet they are some of the worst people one can meet. Some of these figures abuse their power and harm vulnerable people. For example, teachers forcing ideas into little kids' minds are pretty bad. How could one trust and become a believer, if its messangers are evil? If God is all powerful, why do bad things happen to good people?

I have to admit to being a bit of a hypocrite on this one. I was brought up to believe in the existence of God, Jesus Christ, the Holy spirit and All , attended Church Sunday school etc. I drifted away from the ideal of a God during my teens and would have happily proclaimed myself an atheist at that time. However, on reflection, and as the years have rolled by, I have to admit to having prayed quite deeply at particularly traumatic times in my life, such as at the birth of our first child when things on delivery were going badly. I am never sure as to whether this is due to a degree of "brainwashing" in my early years or whether or not there is a profound desire in me to believe that there is something out there, bigger and greater than Mankind. Sometimes I just get this feeling that I nearly grasped or understood something but couldn't quite get my head around it?? If asked now I would have to say I am more of an agnostic, a sort of almost believer.

Hope this post makes some sense to somebody!!

This is a question for atheists. Even if you believe in Science, Science does not explain WHY and HOW things such as nature and biology got to be so inteligents and expert. The body does things and works in ways that suggest that it is very intelligent and has been 'pre programmed' to react in certain ways to certain situation. Things are too well organized and perfect to be just the result of the Big Bang. Things would be a lot more random. But they are not.What is your take on that?

Although science may explain how things work, it only scratches the surface. I believe that Science and God are linked, despite others saying that they are at war with one another. I am able to make the correlations.

I tend to think like you, things that have happened weren't just random.  Science may explain how things work but how did they come to happen.  We are always looking for answers in this universe to explain things, but some stuff can't easily be explained no matter how hard scientist may try to do so.  Yes, there is proof evolution happened, but it was just some random event that happened.  I don't think so, I think just like you that science and God are linked in some way, even if science won't admit to it.

I tend to think like you, things that have happened weren't just random.  Science may explain how things work but how did they come to happen.  We are always looking for answers in this universe to explain things, but some stuff can't easily be explained no matter how hard scientist may try to do so.  Yes, there is proof evolution happened, but it was just some random event that happened.  I don't think so, I think just like you that science and God are linked in some way, even if science won't admit to it.

I think that Science wants to claim that it has all of the control sometimes, and that if you would like an answer you should come to science, and a lot of atheists fall into that trap. It's like certain animals that can only see things in black and white or in 2d. Their physical apparatus does not allow them to interact with the worlsd in the same way that humans and other creatures do. So why would it not be possible that our physical features would be limiting certain perceptions? In short, you may not always be able to prove things the way that you would like them to be proven to you, but that doesn't mean that you should shut your mind off to the possibility that these things may exist. I think that it's a very myopic way to live. The universe is perfection in the way that it works. NONE of that was by accident, and something intelligent must have had a hand in it.

Scientists don't want to accept God at all, but it is so very clear and obvious that the two are married.

This is a question for atheists. Even if you believe in Science, Science does not explain WHY and HOW things such as nature and biology got to be so inteligents and expert. The body does things and works in ways that suggest that it is very intelligent and has been 'pre programmed' to react in certain ways to certain situation. Things are too well organized and perfect to be just the result of the Big Bang. Things would be a lot more random. But they are not.What is your take on that?

Although science may explain how things work, it only scratches the surface. I believe that Science and God are linked, despite others saying that they are at war with one another. I am able to make the correlations.

I don't believe  in science, I accept science as the best method we have to make sense of reality and the natural world. Sometimes why and how questions are meaningless - why has to be there a "why"? That's a loaded question - it assumes there is a purpose. No, the body does have it's share of flaws as well - it's hardly "pre programmed", unless you're keen on cherry picking whatever suits your position, of course,

When you say "organized" define "organized" and at what stage it would become "disorganized"? Most of the observable space is uninhabitable for life, there are debri floating around everywhere, etc. to name a few - would they count as "organized" too?

The universe is complex, there are plenty of things that are not yet conceivable to the human mind - that doesn't mean argument from incredulity is any "proof" for god. 

I don't believe  in science, I accept science as the best method we have to make sense of reality and the natural world. Sometimes why and how questions are meaningless - why has to be there a "why"? That's a loaded question - it assumes there is a purpose. No, the body does have it's share of flaws as well - it's hardly "pre programmed", unless you're keen on cherry picking whatever suits your position, of course,

When you say "organized" define "organized" and at what stage it would become "disorganized"? Most of the observable space is uninhabitable for life, there are debri floating around everywhere, etc. to name a few - would they count as "organized" too?

The universe is complex, there are plenty of things that are not yet conceivable to the human mind - that doesn't mean argument from incredulity is any "proof" for god. 

Yes, the body has its flaws, but why are women able to give birth, and in the amazing and spectacular fashion that it is possible. We disagree, and you are not looking to see where I am coming from, because you don't want to. WHY is very significant. Look at the complexity of how things work. Science shows us the complexity of how things work, but there's never any WHY., What would be the purpose of all of that complexity with no HOW or WHY behind it??? It makes no sense, at least not to me. Things in the world work in too smart a way for it all to have been a random accumulation. If you can't see that, then I guess that we will just have to agree to disagree.

The body IS pre-programmed to do some of the things that it does, and to say that it hardly is serves as nonsense to me. How are you not seeing that the body is pre-programmed????

Yes, the universe is complex. I do not need to have proof of God to the standard that you do, because that wouldn't make sense, when I have had my own validating experiences. God is not what the conventional image of God would have you believe, and I think that that is what most Atheists reject. That's where the miscommunication stems from, I think.

Yes, the body has its flaws, but why are women able to give birth, and in the amazing and spectacular fashion that it is possible. We disagree, and you are not looking to see where I am coming from, because you don't want to. WHY is very significant. Look at the complexity of how things work. Science shows us the complexity of how things work, but there's never any WHY., What would be the purpose of all of that complexity with no HOW or WHY behind it??? It makes no sense, at least not to me. Things in the world work in too smart a way for it all to have been a random accumulation. If you can't see that, then I guess that we will just have to agree to disagree.

The body IS pre-programmed to do some of the things that it does, and to say that it hardly is serves as nonsense to me. How are you not seeing that the body is pre-programmed????

Yes, the universe is complex. I do not need to have proof of God to the standard that you do, because that wouldn't make sense, when I have had my own validating experiences. God is not what the conventional image of God would have you believe, and I think that that is what most Atheists reject. That's where the miscommunication stems from, I think.

Women are able to give birth, but the amazing "design" still makes mortality rate so high than one would expect it to be. And thankfully which is reduced considerably due to advancements in science. If you mean I don't go looking for desperate reasons to believe, you're right, I'm not. I don't make presumptions without any rational reasons to do so. 

Seems like you missed my point regarding the "why" situation. Lets say, I'm asking you "Why do you beat your wife?" - which is a loaded question and presumes that you're married, and you beat your wife. Similarly, the "why" question is loaded. Why do you have to presume there is a purpose? 

Randomness doesn't disprove "creation", and neither is lack of it evidence for it. And I'm not sure what you mean by "random accumulation" - as in reference to evolution, I presume? Re: the pre programming, learning some genetics might help. 

If you don't need the "proof" to believe in a deity, fine by me. But you're arguments are highly flawed to say the least and hardly counts as "evidence" at all - evidence should stand scrutiny. Regardless of whether you believe in a bearded man in the sky or some "power" that governs the universe (and I never made any such presumptions, for the record).

The bible taught me god didn't exist. I expect a great deal from a person who claims to be a diety. I certainly expect more in terms of revelation from this person than a shoddy book full of easilly disporven statements which have no scientific validity and display no signs of obviously superior intellect. I expect a great deal more than a manuscript, easily manipulatable by power hungry zealots in both theology and politics. Any all powerful, all knowing being could have created a device impervious to manipulation and distributed it to all without the restriction of production costs or material aquisition that we simple mortals must contend with.

Furthermore, there is not one single shread of falsifiable evidence offered by anyone in theology that diety exists. I am actually not at all opposed to the notion. In fact, seeing the way we've been handling things, I find myself wishing there was some form of Deus ex machina coming to help us out. Society on the whole is in a heap of trouble these days and some form of collapse seems almost a foregone conclusion within the next half century.

The fact that we're not supposed to question god is the nail in god's coffin for me. Why would an all powerful being create animals that were unique amongst their kind int heir ability to reason and then say "Don't". Did "god" make birds with wings to sit on the ground? Did "god" make fish with gills to lounge on the beach? No. Then why did "god" make man with reason and say "Knock it off. I'll do the thinking aorund here, thank you". It's intellectual fascism and if I'm wrong, and this stuff is real, the god is psychotic.

Like most children in America, I grew up a Christian. When I turned 11, I was "saved" by a non-denominational church. I would go to church fairly often, and I didn't really think anything against the existence of God until I was about 13-14. I was VERY interested in the book of Revelations, in fact I still am. But it soon made me wonder, if God loves all of his children, why send them to Hell? It's one thing for them to be punished, with a set amount of time, but eternity is never ending, there's no chance to learn what you did wrong. When you punish your own children, you put them in time-out; you ground them for a week, it's always a set amount of time so they can think about what they did and not repeat the action. I know though, of course, that most people will say "Well we told you before you died that you should obey God's every will!". However, you tell kids not to do things as well and it's just the same.Around this time I started realizing that most churches, if not a huuuge majority, believe that if you repent you will be forgiven for all of your sins and you'll be allowed into heaven. How can this be possible when it's quite easy for murderers to repent, rapists can repent, and they'll end up in heaven with their victims? A church-goer can rape children and spit on the homeless, but if they repent they're allowed into the kingdom of god? Again, I know people will say "God knows when you truly are asking for forgiveness." This was just how my church was.But, all of those things I believed in God for, most of it was just fear. Even now, when I read Revelations, I get a little nervous thinking about the end times, of burning in Hell for eternity. It's scary, honestly. It makes me want to repent and start going to church. Then I think for a minute, I think about the other religions that have Hell. Well, what do I do about those religions? You're always going to Hell in one religion or another. So, what I want to do with my existence, is help as many people as I can so they can live a good life. I'm far from rich but I have a certain base of knowledge I can give people, and I'll gladly take care of anyone. The God I want to worship will be one that won't send me to Hell just because I forgot to repent that night, one that will see what I've done with this life, and if it's still positive when I die, at least let me avoid Hell.I hate how most people portray God as an evil tyrant, even though they say he's loving and forgiving. Let's be honest now, God has done some bad things according to the Bible. But, we're like Legos in the world he created, if he doesn't want us to inhabit it, he can get rid of us. And he's let the worst people live among the best of people. According to the Bible the future is always pre-determined, so we know that Satan will lose. It's in the fiber of our nature not to want to rape, and hurt people. However some people do it anyways. These people are the ones who should be punished. But not for eternity. I think some Christians should try and be like the all loving, all forgiving God they worship. Me? I'm more of an Agnostic, I'm always up for going to church simply because I enjoy the feeling of it. If God was to give me a sign as he did to those in the Bible, or talk to me like he did to Abraham, I would repent and read the Bible every single day of my life until judgement day. But for now, I'm focusing on helping people as much as I can and getting them out of emotional hells they may be in.The Bible to me is very incomplete, as he is a hypocrite in his own right. The Bible is an excellent story that even I enjoy reading, but I just don't believe that the Bible's God exists. Maybe as I get older I'll understand more, but I doubt it. Maybe there's a greater power, maybe there's not, but you're wasting your life thinking about it, when you should just be living and enjoying the time you have left.

I was raised as Catholic, but not with a strong religious education. I believed in God untill I was 14 years old, and I started to doubt of his existence. By the time I was 16 I was already an Atheist. There wasn't one particular episode in my life that turned me into an Atheist, it's just that, growing older, I started to understand and learn more things about the world like that baby animals were skinned alive for fashion purposes, that little girls were raped by completely civilized men, that sometimes the people who are suppose to take care and look after their citizens, are often the 'villains'... So yeah, the idea of an Oh-so-good-and-perfect-God started not making any sense to me. No almighty God would allow ANY of those things to happen, in any case, the Devil would make more sense to me, but Satanists are part of this world's cancer too.

• 2 weeks later...
Interesting, so why do you worship god at all, even if you believe in his existence? Because there is no  conceivable excuse anyone could give for all the suffering in the world. Even reincarnation and karma is horribly unjust, even if we assume it to be true.
I blame it on how I was raised. If I wasn't raised to be a Roman Catholic I probably wouldn't believe and worship Him as well. A psychic said that it really is unfair how life works because of that whole reincarnation thing, but I guess we just have to accept it, we really don't have a choice anyway.

My mom was Christian, but she did not push it on me. Especially since she and the elders of her church had no answers to the numerous contradictions in the religion that I had noticed by the age of 9 or 10. I never felt any faith, in the least or experienced anything mystical. So, I rejected the notion of God because there was never any proof of the assertions of his existence. 

Guest nikilee

I guess we won't know until we die, I really hope there is something after. I have always believed in God but there are times when I question His existence. It's strange, when I was younger I didn't believe as much then in the middle of my life I believed more and now as I'm older for some reason my beliefs are starting to falter...

• 8 months later...

well im not an atheist but i actually dont know what i believe in.. i use to think i believe in god/ sometimes i think i still do but now ima not so sure ..but what stopped me from taking religion as seriously is astral projection/lucid dreaming you really get a sense of eternity when you practice ap/lding. the experiences alone made me realize how truly finite religion really was. and how silly certain rituals were. but then what really turned me off to christianity was that i actually read the bible for myself and for a while i actually wondered if this was the same book every one else was reading b/c goddam god really was a dick/troll in the old testament.even in the new testament he still is kind of dick at times and this was coming from someone who was suppose to be an all understanding god :rolleyes: . it was almost as he was trolling out of sheer boredom. 

• 6 months later...

I was raised as a Roman Catholic, and I firmly believe in the Lord and in what our religion teaches us in general. Now I have always been curious to know how atheists have come to the conclusion that there is no God? At what point in your life did you realize that God does not exist and what has made you come to that conclusion?