There's this theory, which I believe in. It says that all the religions are fake, made up to cover up the real one. The fake religions limit us (sins, etc.). But basically, this means Jesus, all the other icons different religions worship are made up. 

What do you think of this? It's kind of disturbing -- everything I've believed in and prayed to is fake. 

So now I only believe that there is a God, but not necessarily the Christian (or any religion's) God. 

The Cathars believe in two Gods - the God of Earth, and the God of Heaven. They are separate entities entirely. The God of Heaven has no control over the Earth, and vice versa.

The God of the Earth made the Earth, and then tried to make man but couldn't. Somehow, through trickery, convinced souls from heaven to come down to Earth and the trapped the souls in the human body. Now, our souls can't escape the earthly bounds.

The Cathars equated Jehovah as the God the of Earth, e.g., the BAD god. GOE (acronyms are nice) created man to worship him and do his bidding, purely to stroke his own ego. Earth is therefore supposed to be the lowest form of existence, or Hell in modern christian terms.

They also belived that through religious purification that the soul could be helped to find a way back to heaven. If it failed, it was reborn again upon the earth, and not even sometimes as man. I could be a dog in my next life for all I know. The form you come back in was supposed to represent the knowledge your soul has already accumulated though.

The Perfecti (initiated into the rights of purification) wouldn't eat meat (you are what you eat, literally, in this religion) and wouldn't own property. Instead, they travelled constantly, ate only through charity, and tried to spread the word of the religion to the common man. It wasn't expected that the common man become a Perfecti, only that he understood the word. It was even okay to not accept it - they were the most tolerant of religions, and even found many things in common with Far Eastern religions like Buddhism.

The basic goal, wasn't even a religious doctrine - as long as you found your way to heaven, you were good. A Cathar could be best friends with a Buddhist and both could have reasonably thought they'd meet each other in heaven one day.

Of course, the Catholic-power-hungry-Jehovah/Devil-worshippig religion came along and use the Cathars, Paulicans, Gnostics, and any similar religion as fire wood. Can't have tolerant, loving religion that focuses more on personal enlightenment and knowledge and charity and love running about unchecked.

That's interesting what you say because I feel the same way.

There's too many contradictions in the bible for the christian God to be real.

However the universe/world has blatantly been designed, there's too many laws(laws of physics, laws of nature, law of gravity, laws of motion etc), someone must have set all these laws because laws don't set themselves, as common sense will tell you.

• 4 weeks later...
For me, simple, if the Earth is round as they say, with Austraila down under as they say, how  do people not fall off, if there is no  God, existing and real?

I think that phenomenom has been attributed to the gravitational pull of the earth. God is not keeping people from falling off.

One day when we understand the universe better I'm sure all the current religions will sound riddiculous! Just like we laugh about people believing the world was flat. When you know more some of the old theories don't make sense anymore. For me religion is outdated and discriminatory so i don't follow it.

It's been theorized that all religion leads back to sun/moon worship (Isis and Osiris), and I've seen some pretty convincing material about that, including geometric design being representative of such things.  I'd say do a little bit of digging and start to draw conclusions.

It is scary to think such a thought because to me, the statement means we are alone on planet Earth and there is no one to save us from evil. I think there is a divine entity somewhere up there. If there is no God, how would you explain life, earth, water, and people? Perhaps, we will never know all the answers about life because we are not meant to find out.

"that all the religions are fake, made up to cover up the real one"

So, this begs the question - What is the real religion and why does it need to be covered up? (ok, that's two questions, sorry)

I am learning much about the pre-Biblical myths that have much the same themes as the Judeo-Christian Bible but a lot of the sources are not as reliable as I like.

Well, for me this is just another way of thinking and even believing.  It doesn't reflect on my own individual beliefs.  I believe there is one God, who created the universe and the heavens.  Knowing that there are those out there who believe this is fake doesn't phase me in the least.  As I said it comes down to once again a certain way of thinking.  In this world there are many different ways of viewing faith and viewing God or not viewing God as the choice maybe.  Do I think there is some truth to this theory that all religions are a cover up? No, but then this is just my own view on the subject.  I'm sure that others have a good argument to the contrary, but for me I won't let that shake my beliefs.  

It's not whether Jesus was real or not that disturbs or concerns me. It's the message of love and unconditional love and acceptance that I think is the important thing to take from religions - if you are religious - over having a physical man to worship and pray to. It's the intention and the energy behind everyting that you must pay attention to, for that defines how things are to be taken.

I think that too many people want to follow something or someone, and want to be told how they should live their lives. It's almost like people do not want their own power, which the 'elite' have fully capitalized on at this point.

It is scary to think such a thought because to me, the statement means we are alone on planet Earth and there is no one to save us from evil. I think there is a divine entity somewhere up there. If there is no God, how would you explain life, earth, water, and people? Perhaps, we will never know all the answers about life because we are not meant to find out.

It might be alarming, but nothing has really changed, for you, other than you have listened to, and are considering, a different point of view.

All religions are man made. They were made to provide comfort by providing humans with a mistaken sense of control, "IF we all behave properly, the crops will grow", reasons for aspects of nature humans had yet to understand, like Thor's hammer, and to create social strata, ie, women being subservient to men.

We can live without understanding how humans came to exist, but most people have difficulty accepting "no one knows" as an answer. Ancient man felt that, since his actions had an affect. There must be someone causing the weather, diseases, childbirth, and the sunrise. Humands made the gods, and later..just "God" to fill that position.Scienc

Science is slowly unlocking the mysteries surrounding us, and there will always be questions resulting in the "we do not know" answer that people will fill with godly actions.

So, again I ask. What is the "Real Religion" that is being covered up? Sorry, but that's the part I just do not grasp.

I am not going to say what the real religion is because it would just be my opinion, although I feel like what I think the real religion is, IS the real religion, but I have too much respect for the principles and teachings in order to label them all together under the label of 'religion.' Wow, that was confusing, but as it pertains to your second question, the reason why they would want to hide the true religion and the truth, is because they want full control, and they don't want us to know the extreme power that we have within ourselves. If we remain ignorant to the truth of the universe and who we really are, whilst they know us better than we know ourselves, then we are much more likely to slave away for them and do as we are told, as opposed to living the lives that we were supposed to.

As an atheist, I would agree that the divinity of all gods and mystical figures is made up. Occasionally, as is likely the case with Gautama Buddha or even Jesus Christ, a guy who is likely an amalgam of many different figures, from the town of Nazareth, which probably wasn't a place at the time, they are made up. People in positions of power are quick to pounce upon any system that gives them leverage over the behaviors and thoughts of others, especially when those thoughts are fearful. A person who fears hell, or terrorist attacks, or invaders, etc will be quick to relinquish any control you want if you give them the promise of safety.

I don't see most religions as an outright fabrication so much as events exagerated to the point of mythology by predatory individuals who know how to capitalize on the human psyche.

I am open to reconsideration though, should someone provide genuine proof otherwise. 

Given the proper ingredients, such as carbon, helium, oxygen, nitrogen, and hydrogen, abundant life throughout the universe becomes an inevitable consequence of complex chemistry. All living things on this planet, share a common ancestor and are descendants of a single organism. Scientist estimate that this common ancestor lived some 3.5 to 3.8 billion years ago. This common ancestor gave rise to all living things that have inhabited our planet - including YOU.

The study of energy is called thermodynamics. The first law of thermodynamics states, "Energy can be changed from one form to another, but it cannot be created or destroyed." The human body is an energy transforming machine. An energetic mechanism that moves into form (birth), through form (life), and out of form (death), and the cycle is repeated; very similar to the cycles of carbon and the cycles of water.

Biological evolution refers to the changes over time in living organisms, or as Darwin called it, "Natural Selection." Natural Selection is also referred to as "descent with modification" (the passing on of traits from parent organisms to their offspring). Descent with modification relies on the fact that beneficial variations (biologically stronger version) in a population tend to be preserved, while unfavorable variations (biologically weaker version) tend to be lost.

There are five basic assumptions to Natural Selection: (1) Struggle for existence, (2) Variation, (3) Differential survival and reproduction, (4) Inheritance, (5) Time.

The perfection we see in the universe has to do with Natural Selection. The myriad changes made over the course of time work in conjunction with one another because it's all included in the cosmic ecosystem. An ecosystem is a biological community of interacting organisms and their physical environment.

If you have a planetarium or aquarium at home, that is a miniscule version of an ecosystem. Everything works in conjunction with all other elements. If there is an imbalance in your planetarium or aquarium, the problem will show up almost immediately.

I am baffled by the depth to which a person can be certain of something that is objectively false, such as the Bible, Religion, and Christianity. I'm stunned by the collective lack of common sense, coupled with warped, illogical judgment, that stems from years of religious conditioning, and little to no independent study. When you place all your intellectual eggs in one archaic, medieval, barbaric, religious basket, the end result is a deeply engrained, learned ignorance, and its accomplice is systematic, hereditary brainwashing.

It wouldn't be a cover up Odili, if we simply took the time to READ.

ignorant.jpg

Cover up? Cover up what? Cover up the truth that God is actually the Devil and the Devil is actually God? Cover up the truth the God and the Devil are actually brothers working together according to their own agenda?I can follow that there are many things not quite right in many religions. However I believe this is due to human weaknesses and not due to any cover-up.

There is an argument to be made that monotheism is, in it very nature, a rebellion against natural law. I have seen many real world examples of Chrsitians, Jews and Muslims using Abrahamic theology as the basis to deny natural phenomenon. Ecology can be likened to an engine, it's parts perform tasks that contribute to a given state of being in the same way a combustion engine's parts all contribute to the state being capable of transporting whatever it loaded on the chasis. I have seen large populations from the Abrahamic theologies demonise people who wish to protect this state, referring to them as pagans though their position is clearly scientifically valid.

To be clear, I do not worship nature, though I paraphrase Einstein by saying I have a fondness for nature that borders on spirituality. But one could say there is a cover up occuring by monotheists, an attempt to subvert people's understanding of how nature functions to suit the ends of their own religious biases.

• 2 weeks later...
For me, simple, if the Earth is round as they say, with Australia down under as they say, how  do people not fall off, if there is no  God, existing and real?

It's called GRAVITY. Gravity is constantly pulling you and everything around you towards the center of the Earth. You can't feel yourself being pulled, but gravity is always happening. You would quickly know if gravity were not in play because you would find yourself floating in the air. You would not be the only one floating because gravity doesn't just keep you tied to the Earth, but everything around you.

The God depicted in all the holy books, especially the Bible, is a made-up deity. There are explanations for the universe and for the laws of nature, and as any good astrophysicist, astronomer, cosmologist, and scientist would tell you, understanding the laws that govern our universe, starts with having an understanding of mathematics.

An article written in Discover Magazine, Cosmologist Max Tegmark says "mathematical formulas create reality." According to Tegmark, “there is only mathematics; that is all that exists.” In his theory, the mathematical universe hypothesis, he updates quantum physics and cosmology with the concept of many parallel universes inhabiting multiple levels of space and time." Einstein's "Theory of Relativity" consist of complex mathematical equations that rely on several hypotheses.

Newton's Laws of Motion, the first law states, "inertial frames are far easier to understand conceptually and deal with mathematically, than accelerated frames," and the second law is based on "mass times acceleration."

Anytime one tried to evoke the biblical God in the equation, you're resorting to a "God of the Gaps" argument which is a theological perspective in which gaps in scientific knowledge are taken to be evidence or proof of God's existence. If you can't explain it scientifically, then God is behind it, so the Christian story must be real. This argument uses religion, or the Christian God, to fill in any and all gaps without providing any proof whatsoever.

I implore you good Christian folk to PLEASE PICK UP A BOOK every now and then, and stop reading from a 2600-year-old book. I'm not saying don't read the Bible (if most people read the Bible like they say they do, they would have read it so many times, by now they would know, or should know, the book verbatim), but read other books as well. Expand your mind, broaden your intellectual horizons. I can guarantee, anyone who does begin to read and study the universe, it will blow humongous holes in ALL religious folklore.

As a Buddhist living in France, I was amazed regarding the parallels between Buddhism and Catharism, I have been to old fortress town of Carcassonne which was one of the centers of Catharism in Southern France before they were wiped out by mainstream Catholicism. Apparently the religion came about during the Byzantine empire and was thought to originate in Bulgaria. 

Actually I do think that there is a cover up of some kind going on but not the kind of cover up the OP is thinking about. What I think actually happened is that some people just would not admit that they don't know everything, so they started making up stories.

That's the cover up, to cover up their lack of knowledge. Like when someone asks them where is heaven, and they really don't know because they haven't been there before, but they want to cover up their ignorance, so they start creating stories about where heaven is, confident that nobody can catch them out because nobody else has been to heaven either.

For me, as long as you believe that there is one powerful creator that is responsible for the GOOD that is happening, then you are on the right track.  As long as you are a believe that there is someone who hears your prayers and desires, or someone who rewards you from all the good deeds that you are doing, then you are doing fine.  Be bothered if you do not believe in the Superior anymore.  Be bothered when you believe that every success and great things that happen to you is due to your OWN perseverance.  Be bothered when you feel that you are the ONLY superior in your life.

The "Cover Up" lies in the fact that most people do not read. They only go by what they've heard since birth; what their church leaders tell them, and what little they understand about the bible. Rarely do people, who do nothing but quote outdated scriptures, study global finance, astronomy, geology, cosmology, geography, philosophy, or any science. They simply repeat what they've heard, maybe add a new, unproven twist every now and then, but that's pretty much the extent of their knowledge, or, lack of knowledge. This is why our society is referred to as a dumb-downed-society because most people, after high school, never pick up another book again. Except maybe the bible, and the majority only pick that up as they are on their way out the door, headed to Sunday morning service.

The majority can't tell you one thing about Epicurus, Plato, Aristotle, Emanuel Kant, Socrates, Thomas Aquinas, Galileo Galilei, Johannes Kepler, Nicholas Copernicus, Edwin Hubble, Rene Descartes, and don't have a clue what Einstein's Theory of Relativity is about, nor do most people care.

A couple of quotes from Johannes Kepler: 

• I much prefer the sharpest criticism of a single intelligent man to the thoughtless approval of the masses.

• The diversity of the phenomena of nature is so great, and the treasures hidden in the heavens so rich, precisely in order that the human mind shall never be lacking in fresh nourishment.

The "Cover Up" surrounds the "thoughtless approval of the masses." The "Cover Up" lies in the fact that the human mind is "lacking in fresh nourishment" because the majority base darn near every major principle of life and thought, on a 2600-year-old book!