Do you believe hell exists?

Us humans have been given a logical mind. Do you think it right if a person were to torture and kill a little girl? I'm sure you think there should be a negative consequence, if you have a healthy mind. Surely there should be a consequence for the wrongs people have done on this earth. Yea the thought of hell can scare people into doing right, but more important it is a consequence for wrongs done with no sincerity afterwards. So yes i do believe in a hell.

Hell comes from the bible, so does heaven. Asking this is partially asking if you believe in God.
Logically it doesn't make sense. Socially it does, partially, it's a way to prevent kids that grow up from doing harm and evil. Still as they grow up they start to stop believing this idea and end up ignoring these "rules" to avoid hell that come in most religions.

Logically it does make sense. Imagine if there were no religion,or society of people,  If a bee were to come to you now and sting you leaving a terrible pain, would you naturally want to get rid of it or do something negative towards it? For sure you would not wish to embrace it in any way. Logically it does make sense fro there to be a consequence after a wrongdoing.

You mean this isnt it?

Beat me to it. I sort of take the Cathar view on it, that Earth is the lowest form of existence - or hell. We're forced to cycle through the ages on the earth until our souls finally reach that understanding that will let them out

Of course, getting into the whys would be tedious. The shinny would be that the God of Heaven has almost no power on Earth, while the God of Earth (equated with Jehovah, and not in a good way) has no over heaven. So it makes more sense to me that so many screwed up things can happen on this planet, since it's sort of a trial for the soul.

I think it does exist, because how else can you punish someone like Hitler who murdered lots of innocent lives? It would be so unfair if he got away with that heinous crime totally scot-free. Hell is a place where evil people pay for the evil deeds that they have done, because I know the Lord will not tolerate injustice.

It's the ultimate punishment and one that has been used to control people out of fear for hundreds of years now. Why wouldn't it be man made? The idea is ridiculous and I'm not going to let fear govern my life just so I can feel a bit better about what might happen to me after I'm dead.

No. I don't believe in heaven or hell. I think the idea is ridiculous. Honestly don't understand how the vast majority of Americans believe in it. Or Heaven. Or God.

Well said.  What would the average god believing American say if I said I believed in Zeus?  Or the god Thor?  They would think it laughable, but how is it not believable they believe in Jesus and that woman was created from a rib off a man.  Or that the entire world was repopulated from these 2 people, and again from animals from the arc etc.

Modern humans know that this level of inbreeding would cause horrific genetic defects, of course they didnt know that back then, so it seemed possible.  Though watching that program on Afghanistan last night, its quite possible they came from two people.

I personally don't believe Hell or Heaven exist.  We've been as far as one could possibly go in space for this time-period, and yet, no God, no Hell, no Heaven.  You'd think that a place full of fire (light) with billions of non-believers would be quite visible, no?

Didnt you know? Its at the centre of the earth!  Hence all the fire and lava etc.

The concept of hell is actually a cross between two places: Hades/Sheol and the lake of fire. The Bible says that the lake of fire was made to hold Satan and his demons. In the same manner of heaven, it is not visible to us in this life, the same as most angelic and demonic activity is not visible. Currently when they die, people who don't make Jesus their Lord go to Hades/Sheol, sort of a holding pit. Those who confess Jesus as Savior go to be with Him in Paradise/Heaven. Hades is still a place of suffering and torment, but it is not the lake of fire. At the end of this earth, there will be a final judgement when Satan, his demons, and those who chose against accepting the truth of God will be thrown into the lake of fire for eternity. Those who accept the free gift of salvation that God offers through Jesus will be in heaven and on the new completely perfect earth worshipping and praising God for eternity.

Absolutely not. And I find it repulsive that people, in this day and  age, believe in such sick pile of crap. Not to mention how the notion of  hell directly contradicts the concept of an all loving god in Abrahamic religions. 

As for punishing Hitler et. al, what's the point torturing those psychopaths after death anyways? If your god didn't give a rats behind about the victims when they were getting tortured, then why would he bother at all? That's hardly just, that's just vengeance.

No, I don't believe in heaven, hell or even purgatory. I was raised to believe that purgatory was a place you would go if you weren't bad enough for hell or good even for heaven. You did you penance in purgatory. I never really believe that as a child. I do believe that we do create our own heaven or hell in our minds.

I definitely don't think so. I am not religious at all and the concept is just beyond me. 

I don't necessarily mind religion in general because the idea of community can do a lot of good and I understand the need for some people to believe in something....no matter how far fetched it may be. I think it's the extremists who tend to go crazy with things and just because I don't believe, doesn't mean I'm going to judge too harshly the people who do. 

I don't believe that Hell exists whatsoever....  First of all, let's assume or imagine that God really existed... if he was the most powerful being in existence, then how could they're be anything or anyone that could rival that power (like the devil)???  Secondly, where exactly IS Hell???  There is no proof that said place even exists.  There is no archaeological or historical evidence outside of the Bible to support the existence of a place called Hell, Heaven, or of Satan and Jesus.  It's crazy to see how people will believe EVERYTHING that's in a book that was written by people they've never met, a few hundred years ago, but they would never believe you if you told them that you just got abducted by aliens or something.  The Bible has so many ppl fooled :(

• 3 weeks later...

Let's say hell exists and there is an almighty forgiving God. Bad and evil individuals go to hell. Wouldn't hell be a normal/fun (fun for extremists) place for bad people? Evil people meet and become friends with like-minded people in hell. But, most bad/evil people are suspicious of everybody because they know about the evil things people do. Hell would be kind of like living on Earth for evil people. God is forgiving because God accepts people for who they are and let them make their own decisions. I am not a Bible expert. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I wont believe in heaven and hell.
No saints, no sinners,
No devil as well.
No pearly gates, no thorny crown.
You're always letting us humans down.
The wars you bring, the babies you drown.
Those lost at sea and never found,
And its the same the whole world round.
The hurt I see helps to compound,
That the father, son and holy ghost,
Is just somebody's unholy hoax,
And if you're up there you'll perceive,
That my hearts here upon my sleeve.
If there's one thing I don't believe in...

Its you,
Dear god.
Source(s):
XTC- dear god.

if you're a religious person and believe in God, heaven and the biblical stuff,  then you by default believe in hell too. When the catholics started to lose followers for sinning too much, they invented purgatory, a place where people just wait to get accepted into heaven. So it's all relative, depending on your culture. 

The Devil or Satan is a mythical character. The mind is extremely powerful, that's why so many people have been religiously conditioned into believing this evil entity exist. Religious zealots have been conditioned to believe there's an actual guy (like you believe God is a guy), who is the king of damnation and if you don't walk the straight and narrow, and don't call yourself a Christian, you will one day come face to face with Lucifer.

For crying out loud, this is like making up a scary story; make it as horrifying as you can, if it's convincing enough, you can manipulate the frightened individual to do pretty much whatever you want him to do. That is what the church has done to you!

Going back to the Vatican, the Roman Catholic Church, where the "Devil Myth" began, here is a short list of some of the oldest churches in the world:

• Santa Maria in Trastevere in Rome, built in 221 AD, renovated in 340
  • Dura-Europos Church in Syria, built in 235 AD
  • Panagia Ekatontapiliani in Greece, built in 326 AD

These were not little huts or caves, these were humongous cathedrals. When these churches started to run low on Aureus (Gold), Denarius (Silver), Sestertius (Brass), and As (Copper), the story of Satan and Hell was created to scare people into contributing to the church.

God did not create the Devil and Hell, a Loving Presence would never create anything so abhorrent. Hell and Satan were created by MAN and if the majority were not so brainwashed, they could clearly see the "fly in the ointment" regarding Religion, Satan, and Hell.