Amazon sells mobile phones with their serial number registered with the police

Just browsing Amazon, thinking of a new mobile. And I see this note at the bottom of an item

"Please note that devices dispatched from and sold by Amazon are automatically registered on CheckMend and the National Mobile Property Register (NMPR), this information is shared in accordance with the Amazon.co.uk Privacy Notice"

https://thenmpr.com/

• The NMPR (National Mobile Property Register) is the national police database of registered property ownership and stolen property records.
  • It allows officers to search for property by serial numbers to identify the registered owners and whether an item is stolen. They can then contact the owner to return stolen goods and investigate any criminal activity relating to the property.
  • The NMPR is searched thousands of times a day by forces all over the UK including Scotland and Northern Ireland.

So although this sounds on the face of it a good idea from having your phone stolen.  (Although this has never happened to me.)   Is this also stealing any privacy that might have been possible?

It is still possible to get an anonymous sim, PAYG, top up with cash. But if you put it into a mobile that is already owner registered to the police?  I'm just wondering if it possible to link all this together?

All phones have a number called the IMEI which is the  International Mobile Equipment Identity (IMEI), which is a number that's unique to every GSM handset.   Is this the number Amazon are registering?   If so then it is a huge privacy violation.

Another search found this article, about a data breech from a few years ago.

https://www.techworm.net/2015/01/28-million-records-immobilise-uks-national-property-register-site-exposed.html

The bug exposed names, addresses, phone numbers, email addresses and details on registered items (serial numbers, IMEIs in case of smartphones, unique marks, value) to cyber criminals.

2 hours ago, Neo said:

Just browsing Amazon, thinking of a new mobile. And I see this note at the bottom of an item

"Please note that devices dispatched from and sold by Amazon are automatically registered on CheckMend and the National Mobile Property Register (NMPR), this information is shared in accordance with the Amazon.co.uk Privacy Notice"

• The NMPR (National Mobile Property Register) is the national police database of registered property ownership and stolen property records.
  • It allows officers to search for property by serial numbers to identify the registered owners and whether an item is stolen. They can then contact the owner to return stolen goods and investigate any criminal activity relating to the property.
  • The NMPR is searched thousands of times a day by forces all over the UK including Scotland and Northern Ireland.

So although this sounds on the face of it a good idea from having your phone stolen.  (Although this has never happened to me.)   Is this also stealing any privacy that might have been possible?

It is still possible to get an anonymous sim, PAYG, top up with cash. But if you put it into a mobile that is already owner registered to the police?  I'm just wondering if it possible to link all this together?

All phones have a number called the IMEI which is the  International Mobile Equipment Identity (IMEI), which is a number that's unique to every GSM handset.   Is this the number Amazon are registering?   If so then it is a huge privacy violation.

https://www.techworm.net/2015/01/28-million-records-immobilise-uks-national-property-register-site-exposed.html

The bug exposed names, addresses, phone numbers, email addresses and details on registered items (serial numbers, IMEIs in case of smartphones, unique marks, value) to cyber criminals.

"a huge privacy violation"

There is no constitutional right to privacy from government agencies, either in the UK or USA.

Why do you think George Orwell wrote the book?

He saw it coming.

https://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/o/orwell/george/o79n/contents.html

https://archive.org/details/NINETEENEIGHTY-FOUR1984ByGeorgeOrwellPDFAudioBook

http://www.telelib.com/authors/O/OrwellGeorge/prose/NineteenEightyFour/

http://uberpdf.net/nineteen-eighty-four-by-george-orwell/

http://ikindlebooks.com/literature/1984-nineteen-eighty-four

\\\\\\\\\

5 hours ago, inca said:

"a huge privacy violation"

There is no constitutional right to privacy from government agencies, either in the UK or USA.

There is no written constitution in the UK.  

We are not living in 1984.  In 1984 just writing an opinion like you or I just did would cause us to be arrested and disappear.   

Also, most of the spying that happens to us, is corporations trying to be greedy and make lots of money.  That never factored into the plot of 1984 at all.  I think the reason for that is government is incredibly incompetent and wasteful, and although they would love to spy on and control the population they cannot afford it, nor even if they could would they get the result they wanted.

Just this week the UK home secretary Amber Rudd Says It's "Completely Unacceptable" Khalid Masood's WhatsApp Messages Are Encrypted
The home secretary also said the answer to taking extremist content offline was not legislation, but a case of getting people from tech companies "who understand the necessary hashtags" in the same room.

This is the level of competence and understanding that government has.  The Home Secretary!  She doesnt even know what a hashtag is, but is the top government person responsible for security in the whole UK.

Police have access to all cell phone data.

Sadly, so do gangs of stalkers, rapists, and sex offenders, working in cahoots with the police.

I never carry a cell phone with me.

This is what happens when local city cops are given TOP SECRET clearance along with every town and city hall in the United States.

2 hours ago, Stinger XX said:

I never carry a cell phone with me.

But sometimes a phone can be very useful (indispensable) to call for help.  Whether that be from police, ambulance or simply a taxi, or break down service.

Have you considered getting a burner phone just for your own safety?   An old Nokia would be ideal as there is no gps, the battery lasts for ages, and when turned off it really is off and if not sure about that their batteries can be easily removed.

5 minutes ago, Neo said:

Have you considered getting a burner phone just for your own safety?

if you have two feet, and/or preferably access to a vehicle, beat feet and GET AWAY before you even think about wasting time on the phone.

I am transgender.  For me, a 911 call is a one-way trip to the psych ward of the local hospital.  There is no way out, and therefore no possible benefit to my carrying a phone.

10 hours ago, Stinger XX said:

if you have two feet, and/or preferably access to a vehicle, beat feet and GET AWAY before you even think about wasting time on the phone.

I am transgender.  For me, a 911 call is a one-way trip to the psych ward of the local hospital.  There is no way out, and therefore no possible benefit to my carrying a phone.

"if you have two feet, and/or preferably access to a vehicle, beat feet and GET AWAY "

You may be laying on the ground with a broken leg.

Nobody should get the idea it can't happen to them.

20 hours ago, Neo said:

We are not living in 1984.  In 1984 just writing an opinion like you or I just did would cause us to be arrested and disappear.   

Also, most of the spying that happens to us, is corporations trying to be greedy and make lots of money.  That never factored into the plot of 1984 at all.  I think the reason for that is government is incredibly incompetent and wasteful, and although they would love to spy on and control the population they cannot afford it, nor even if they could would they get the result they wanted.

Just this week the UK home secretary Amber Rudd Says It's "Completely Unacceptable" Khalid Masood's WhatsApp Messages Are Encrypted
The home secretary also said the answer to taking extremist content offline was not legislation, but a case of getting people from tech companies "who understand the necessary hashtags" in the same room.

This is the level of competence and understanding that government has.  The Home Secretary!  She doesnt even know what a hashtag is, but is the top government person responsible for security in the whole UK.

If 9/11 can happen, then 1984 can happen.

There is a remarkable absence of enthusiasm in exposing the truth of 9/11.

This shows how corrupt the political system is, and why 1984 is possible.

On 31/03/2017 at 9:10 AM, inca said:

If 9/11 can happen, then 1984 can happen.

There is a remarkable absence of enthusiasm in exposing the truth of 9/11.

This shows how corrupt the political system is, and why 1984 is possible.

That's because people are bored of it.  It was 15 years ago. 16 this year.  After a while you have to move on, and look at today's issues and conspiracies.   All that needs to be said is government will sacrifice its own people to get the result they want.  Is that a surprise to anyone now?

On 3/30/2017 at 5:12 PM, Neo said:

"There is no written constitution in the UK"

If a 9/11 cover-up is the result of a written constitution, it's something the UK should avoid.

2 hours ago, Neo said:

That's because people are bored of it.  It was 15 years ago. 16 this year.  After a while you have to move on, and look at today's issues and conspiracies.   All that needs to be said is government will sacrifice its own people to get the result they want.  Is that a surprise to anyone now?

We are talking about the cover-up of the mass-murder of 3000 people.

There is no time-limit on hunting murderers.

The way to prevent another 9/11 is to expose the truth of 9/11.

Because of the victims, numerous nations have a stake in this.

On 3/30/2017 at 9:07 AM, Neo said:

Just a heads up to your original question.  It's not just the IMEI number that will be registered on this database.  They will also register the MAC address and the android specific name, such as "android-2120ee3b45*****". Each android smartphone device has this individual number assigned to it. This cannot be changed (after kit-kat 4.4) without first rooting the device. Its interesting to note on the NMPR site it states one of the benefits of devices being registered is 'Connect property to places and people.'  I would say its a dead cert any interested party with those 3 pieces of information will be able to trace it back to you. An anonymous sim on PAYG will offer little to no privacy.  Certainly buying a phone on Amazon would also allow 'them' to access the delivery address and credit card details.  Look up 'cellsite' to see how the police trace GSM users to local cell towers allowing 'them' to locate you at worst to within a few hundred meters and at best to with in a few meters. 

I wonder how effective this NMPR is at actually finding stolen mobile phones verse all the information it provides the authorities. Its not just amazon who register details. Take a look at the attachment for all the other members of this scheme.  On a final note do I need to remind anyone about Angela Merkel's phone being tapped by the Americans? If it can happen to a leader of the free world there is little hope that it couldn't happen to you.

NMPR.JPG

1 hour ago, Sagan said:

Just a heads up to your original question.  It's not just the IMEI number that will be registered on this database.  They will also register the MAC address and the android specific name, such as "android-2120ee3b45*****". Each android smartphone device has this individual number assigned to it. This cannot be changed (after kit-kat 4.4) without first rooting the device. Its interesting to note on the NMPR site it states one of the benefits of devices being registered is 'Connect property to places and people.'  

But the sad thing is, i can no longer buy this phone.   So Amazon lost a sale due to being in bed with the authorities.  Shame they are not so passionate about paying their taxes, isnt it??

And no, its not that I would be doing anything wrong with it.  I simply do not want everything linked up.  Anymore than I would want the authorities to have my finger prints on record or my DNA - "just in case".

@SaganWelcome to the forum, great first post! :)

Edit:   This reminds me of that conspiracy about certain printers printing their serial number hidden in every print, "just in case" the printer was ever used to print something illegal like a ransom note or something.

7 hours ago, Neo said:

"look at today's issues and conspiracies"

A conspiracy big enough to involve USA NATO Russia Iran Syria Israel.

http://www.therealconspiracyforum.com/index.php?/topic/2011-the-qatar-pipeline-conspiracy/#comment-13143

http://www.therealconspiracyforum.com/index.php?/topic/2037-the-qatar-pipeline-conspiracy-part-2/#comment-13205

7 hours ago, Neo said:

A conspiracy big enough to involve USA NATO Russia Afghanistan Syria.

http://www.therealconspiracyforum.com/index.php?/topic/2048-syria-and-afghanistan/#comment-13240

8 hours ago, Neo said:

A conspiracy big enough to involve USA NATO Russia China Syria.

http://www.therealconspiracyforum.com/index.php?/topic/2047-syria-and-south-china-sea/#comment-13239