bluemachine

Is man a blight on the earth?

Rate this topic

I've heard people say that man is a blight on the planet a lot over the years. I don't think so, personally but I wonder if this idea is still wide spread. David Attenborough apparently thinks so, according to this article, which also gives some hard data on actual demographics and population projections:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2013/03/05/humanity-is-not-a-plague-on-earth-column/1965485/

So, is mankind a blight or cancer on the planet?

What's your opinion?

Joe Rogan, the man who commentates for the UFC (Ultimate Fighting Championships) is also very opinionated on this matter. I am with him up until the point that the Earth itself is also a living being, like each and every one of us is. But I don't think that Mankind is a disease upon the Earth. I think that the Earth knows what she/he got her/himself was getting into before human life began to populate the land, and I think that she/he is more than prepared to cater for human life.

If you believe in the law of attraction, then you might think differently - that life is a blight on Planet Earth. There are so many bad things happening every day here, and one could say that Earth attracted these events because it was already in a slow vibrating state. But people forget about the good things that happen every day. Good and bad are a matter of perception. Some think that death is bad, whereas I don't. So, it depends, but that is my two cents. :D .

We let's ask the question, was the Earth in better shape before so many people inhabited the Earth or not? I say the Earth is dirtier, the water is less pure, the air is certainly more polluted, and on and on. So in answer, I would say, yes mankind has been a blight on the Earth. 

We let's ask the question, was the Earth in better shape before so many people inhabited the Earth or not? I say the Earth is dirtier, the water is less pure, the air is certainly more polluted, and on and on. So in answer, I would say, yes mankind has been a blight on the Earth. 

Well when you put it like that then yes, it would seem so lol. But even when Mankind initially came to Earth, we don't know whether the Earth suffered for it like it is suffering for Mankind's habbits and greed nowadays. I don't believe that Mankind are inherently a disease that blemishes the Earth. I think that there were once times when things were not so. So, I can't say that I agree with the idea that Man is a blight. I think that anything has the potential to be  blight, but some things aren't if that makes any sense.

Man can be the plight of the earth or be the savior of it. I don't think we should generalize humans when it comes to things such as this. I simply say what will be WILL BE. And it's really no other way around that.

The problem on the earth is not man, per se, but the sins of man. Man was put on the earth as a caretaker, but, like many other things, man has generally abused that responsibility. That being said, we have done a lot in the last 30+ years to clean up the messes we've been making. In the 70s, it hurt to breathe in LA on a hot day, but the air is pretty clean there now. Most environmental issues are blown out of proportion for 2 reasons.

1) Sensational news, especially bad new, is what sells.

2) More government control of everyday issues in the lives of private citizens.

#2 is even moreso than #1.

My question to those who view mankind as a plague is, "Then why are you still breathing?" Not meant in a disrepectful way, but as a legitimate question. If they feel that strongly about it, they've had plenty of time to voice their opinion, so shouldn't they lead by example and take the first step?

No, Earth was not in better shape before people inhabited it. The Earth is cleaner now, than it was before we were able to record events, improve our environment (make it more habitable for humans) and measure things using science. 

I reject outright the notion that the Earth is any kind of sentient being. Show me the proof of this claim, Dreek.

Earth is alive? Well, some things on and in the planet are alive but humans are the only ones who clean up after themselves and improve conditions generally. 

Um, depends. You could say that man is a blight on earth, maybe. Although I do agree it's in worse state - as in say, environmental polution, global warming, deforestation etc. are caused by us. That said, earth is hardly a sentient being, so not sure what we'd base this on exactly to call humanity a blight.

No, Earth was not in better shape before people inhabited it. The Earth is cleaner now, than it was before we were able to record events, improve our environment (make it more habitable for humans) and measure things using science. 

I reject outright the notion that the Earth is any kind of sentient being. Show me the proof of this claim, Dreek.

Earth is alive? Well, some things on and in the planet are alive but humans are the only ones who clean up after themselves and improve conditions generally. 

I don't have to show you proof of everything. But I will explain why I stated so previously. In my opinion, everything is energy. Energy is comprised of consciousness, however, not every conscious being is self-aware. Humans are self-aware, whereas a table may not be. So, it is in this way that I deem the Earth to be a living sentient being, just as you are to the cells of your body, who are also self-aware.

The Earth rights it's inbalances and performs other arduous tasks too well not to be aware of itself, in my opinion.

I sometimes wonder if it's intelligence that's the blight or curse on this world. Before we gained intelligence we were probably very happy swinging from trees. Now, we're unhappy because we don't have the latest gadget and our worls is suffering under our population explosion.

It's amazing, humans are the only species that have to PAY to live on this planet.  All other species live in harmony with nature.  Nature provides every other species with enough food and energy to sustain itself.  As "advanced" as we humans THINK we are, it's interesting to see how barbaric and ignorant we seem to be at times.  Maybe we're the dumbest species on the planet.  Who knows?

Guest dogbert784

Why is it fashionable now to call human beings a blight on this beloved planet? If you stick people into condensed cities of course that environment is going to be more polluted! The elite have no problem limiting birthrate because "we're harming the planet. There's too many of you!" How many people in this forum have built and continue to maintain a power plant? Do you pollute the rivers of third world countries? Do you ignore child labor laws in your local town? And yet we're willing to dismiss the ENTIRE race, most of which we'll never meet, because someone said there's too many of us. 

We're not dumb. We're deceived. The truth is we can undo the damage we've caused. The people, I mean. It'll cost the corporate criminals though - and we all know that's unacceptable  So they're solution: You pay for it. You stop having babies. You die. You are the reason why the planet is dying. 

At the moment probably yes. But I think the fault lies with technology and advancement. If we still lived in caves, hunted with spears and such, and basically lived like the rest of the animal kingdom, the earth would have been in a lot better shape.

It's amazing, humans are the only species that have to PAY to live on this planet.  All other species live in harmony with nature.  Nature provides every other species with enough food and energy to sustain itself.  As "advanced" as we humans THINK we are, it's interesting to see how barbaric and ignorant we seem to be at times.  Maybe we're the dumbest species on the planet.  Who knows?

This is an awesome point. I have often thought this, but never quite phrased it so well, as I was always thinking it with anger clouding my mind lol. It is so true. Everything else just allows the natural flow of life and energy to support it's existence, yet we are the only ones struggling to survive and kicking one another out of houses because one doesn't have enough money to pay the bills. I bet the animals out in the wild don't have to stress themselves out with going to work and paying bills. Fair enough, they have to worry about getting eaten, and what they are going to eat next, but sometimes I think I would prefer that. At least then you would have the option to opt out if life was becoming too much for you.

I have always said that animals are far more advanced than humans are. Animals are all around, and sort of a reminder of how far behind we actually are as humans, but I also think that they act as a motivator for us to get back to the natural way of life that was intended for us. The Chinese aren't stupid; they do not study and mimic the movements of animals in order to cure illnesses and diseases for nothing. They know.

I don't have to show you proof of everything. But I will explain why I stated so previously. In my opinion, everything is energy. Energy is comprised of consciousness, however, not every conscious being is self-aware. Humans are self-aware, whereas a table may not be. So, it is in this way that I deem the Earth to be a living sentient being, just as you are to the cells of your body, who are also self-aware.

The Earth rights it's inbalances and performs other arduous tasks too well not to be aware of itself, in my opinion.

To say something is everything is to say it is nothing. So, your claim that everything is energy does not hold water, in my opinion.

Energy is not comprised of consciousness as far as I can see. Energy, as I know of it, is what we extract from fuel sources or it's the capacity to physically move and exert oneself.  Your point makes no sense to me. If you can clarify further, that would be great.

This is incorrect. All animals, including humans have to exert energy in order to get the things they need out of their environment and survive. Dumb animals, fight and eat each other and all the resources they can find in order to live and none of it is easy for them. They PAY. With their sweat and blood and their lives, when a stronger animal targets them for it's survival.

Humans, having the capacity to reason, have taken the harsh environment and made a paradise. No longer do we die at 30 of old age from all the exertion. Now, we utilize our environment and IMPROVE and maintain it for our survival. Nature is a killer. Human reason has allowed us to expand our life-spans, beautify the world around us by cleaning the water and making it fit to drink. We have put thousands of years into finding ways to grow better foods so that people don't starve. The quality of human life on the planet is better across the board. Yes, there are still cruel leaders and despots in some places but the civilized world should be celebrated. 

Do you people have any idea what it was like to live in a pre-industrial world? It was hell on earth. What is wrong with you people?

The author of the article states, "the notion that humanity is a blight upon the planet is a long discredited idea, long nurtured by a vocal cadre of fearful prophets." Planet Earth has enough resources to sustain human life, we just need to find ways to rid ourselves of those manipulative few that allow their greed and lust for financial power to keep the world imbalanced and headed toward annihilation.

The Earth has the resources, the issue is just using them efficiently. In the end, any non-plant resource will be exhausted at some point, it's only a matter of when. We can slow our decay, but everything has a cost, and eventually, we'll hit the limit.

Humans are not a blight on the earth, but our society has become very sick. But the earth has ways of fixing problems like this. Has anyone ever read or listened to Terrence McKenna's idea of the achaic revival? I think he raises several very good points. The idea of a mass concoiusness has a lot of evidence behind it now. The fact that a lot of people are looking towards archaic ideas about living in tune with nature seems to make a lot of sense. When you make a mistake you need to go back to the last point when you knew you were on the right track and try to work it out from there. Our society is so wrong headed so out of step with nature, that we will have to go back quite a long ways to rethink where we should be. If we can't fix ourselves Mother nature has a way of dealing with out of control species. Extinction. That's the real danger. we're not going to destroy all life on the planet, life is very powerful and will continue. The question is will we get to enjoy it as well?

I think a lot of the people that believe mankind is destroying the Earth haven't taken the time to really look at data that's out there (Farmer's Almanac, etc.). It's easy to listen to the rhetoric but there isn't a whole lot of follow-up to confirm things and dig deeper.

Take Man-made Global Warming, for example. You can look at simplistic proofs that generate all kinds of emotions, fueled by emotionally charged rhetoric, and end up getting caught up in the idea. But, where's the follow-up? What does the data show over the years concerning this issue? And, the data should not come from the same sources that started claims because you already know what they're going to say. How do you explain similar climate changes across several planets? The notion gets sillier, the deeper you actually look into it.

The claim that mankind is destroying the Earth is usually accompanied by a book someone wrote, a movie you should see, or some other offer that involves you parting with some amount of your money. Carbon credits, dvds, seminars, buy these products instead of those products, etc.

Following the money (and the lust for power and control) works every time.

No, man is not a blight on the earth. I am not saying that man has not done harm to nature but my point is that man does not necessarily have to do harm to nature. Man can live in harmony with nature.

In Thailand, there is an ongoing campaign to create self-sufficient economic models. Before, the main emphasis was to make profit, the more the merrier. However, ever since the economic upheaval of what's called the IMF era, the King of Thailand has been encouraging his subjects to work on being self-sufficient. So now farms are being planned to provide sustenance for the farmers instead of profit for the exporters. This has led to a more balanced use of natural resources.

I think so, and if you take a look around it's hard to continue denying it. Not everything we do is toxic, but plenty of it is.