https://www.aol.com/article/news/2017/07/27/the-justice-department-appears-to-be-gearing-up-for-a-legal-figh/23050607/

The Justice Department (which includes the FBI probably more than the court system proper) is rolling back civil rights protections for lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender minorities.

The Obama administration interpreted the law broadly and liberally with respect to LGBT rights, but the U.S. court system has left too much leeway between the laws passed by Congress and how those laws are codified and interpreted in USC, CFR, "cases," etc.

What you call protection, a lot of people would call blame culture.

When someone is fired, its usually because they were rubbish at their job.  But of course that does not make a legal case, but "Is it because I'm black?  Gay?  Fat?  Woman?"   etc is.

In the case you have linked to, A sky diver instructor was fired for telling a customer his sexuality (allegedly)   I would argue there was no place in this conversation with a stranger (a new customer) to start talking about this.   Imagine a straight man, telling this same woman how he liked women with big breasts, or a big ass.   Would that have been appropriate?  Would he have been fired?  I think yes.  His sexuality is irrelevant.  His lack of professionalism with customers is though.

Another thought.  Perhaps the women was coming on to him, and to rebuff her advances he revealed that he is gay, hoping that would be the end of the matter.  The scorned woman then decided to complain due to her hurt feelings (this story is as old as time).

I am very much in favour of equal rights, I am not in favour of superior rights.  Which sadly is what a lot of these organisations are now aiming for.