Gnostic Christian Bishop

Which commandments do you think are superior; Yahweh’s or Gnostic Christianity’s?

Rate this topic

Which commandments do you think are superior; Yahweh’s or Gnostic Christianity’s?

You may use whatever set of commandments you think Yahweh gave. There are a number of renditions.

As for the Gnostic commandments, I offer the following.

1. You shall place no commandments above these unless proven to be morally superior.

2. You shall value all people as equal before the law. The inequality of outcome is punishment enough of itself.

3. You shall live by the golden rule and respond with reciprocity of harm or care to what is done to you.

4. Use Gnosis and put logic and reason and their proofs above faith, which by its nature has no proofs, logic or reason.

5. You shall leave the environment in a better condition than what is given to you as an inheritance to your next generation.

6. You shall not impoverish the next generation and live according to the means you produce as their labor and wealth is theirs and not yours to squander.

Gnostic Christianity and free thinking lost the God wars when the Orthodox Church decimated us and burned most of our scriptures. I think that Gnostic Christians had a superior set of commandments then as well as now. Those commandments were not only meant for seekers after a God but also a guide to secular law. Both secular law and Christianity seemed to ignore the second commandment of equality till our modern era. As a Gnostic Christian, I ask (rhetorically), what took the world so long to catch up to Gnostic Christian thinking and what is Islam and other backwards thinking people waiting for.

Many have a problem with the 10 commandments given by Yahweh so I thought I would see if there is a consensus of thought on the Gnostic Christian ideology as compared to the Christian ideology. The main complaints I see are that Yahweh’s commandments have created a Christian ideology that denies gays and women equality. I think all souls to be created equal and thus deserving of equal human statue and citizenship.

Others as seen in these two link have their own views and I would add that I think Yahweh’s no divorce policy, --- which Jesus confirms. --- and Yahweh’s policy of accepting bribes, ransoms or sacrifices (these are all analogue) to alter his usual and moral policy punishing the guilty and not the innocent, --- to the immoral policy of punishing the innocent instead of the guilty, as exemplified by his accepting Jesus as a sacrifice to save sinners whom God himself created to be sinners.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8u3z69YpLx0#t=100

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUfGRN4HVrQ

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Regards

DL

Religion talks about the Gods interfacing with and helping or hurting humans thousands of years ago when humans had no ability to be much of a problem to themselves or the planet. Today "we have become planet killers" and where are the Gods? Either they don't exist or they don't give a damn. Most likely we and other life forms across the universe are on our own to do as we will, few survive themselves most self destruct and the stars shed no tears. The commandments attributed to the Gods are all fabricated by men who would rule the multitudes with fear and intimidation. The only true commandment is "An ye harm none, Do as ye will".

4 hours ago, Shekinah said:

The only true commandment is "An ye harm none, Do as ye will".

I have heard that from some who profess Wicca, and that is fine: the implied freedom is a necessary part of that law.

The Ten Commandments were written three on one tablet, and seven on the other.

I. Exodus 20:2-6. I am the Lord thy God. Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
II. Exodus 20:7 Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain.
III. Exodus 20:8-11  Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.

IV. Exodus 20:12 Honor thy father and mother.
V. Exodus 20:13 Thou shalt not kill.
VI. Exodus 20:14 Thou shalt not commit adultery.
VII. Exodus 20:15 Thou shalt not steal.
VIII. Exodus 20:16 Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.
IX. Exodus 20:17 (a) Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house.
X. Exodus 20:17 (b) Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife ... servant ... ox ... ass ... nor any thing that is thy neighbour's.

The three on the first tablet pertained to the relationship between man and God, and the seven on the second tablet pertained to the relationship between man and fellow man. The first three of the ten commandments are summarized in Deuteronomy 6:5, and the remaining seven in Leviticus 19:18, which Jesus also mentioned.

There is an old expression in the Swedish language,

<< boskap och betjäntskap >>

meaning "cattle and servants," but that word "betjäntskap" was like "boskap" ("cattle")  a collective noun and mentioned in the same breath in parallel in part to reinforce the notion of "owning" servants as one owned cattle ... that is, slavery, for which the more stark and straightforward Swedish word is "träldom."

"Tjäna" is "to serve" in Swedish, and "tjänare" is "servant," but "en betjänt" is literally "an indentured servant." Thus "betjäntskap" is literally "indentured servitude," although the word was used as a collective noun to refer to one's slaves right alongside cattle, in a rather smooth progression of the degree of grammatical animacy of one's possessions.

Of the Gnostic commandments you mentioned, #2 and #3 are clearly stated in the Bible. As to your #5 and #6, the Baby Boomers in particular wreaked wanton havoc on the environment and greatly impoverished the following generations economically and culturally.

There is just too much sophistry to your #1 and #4: these issues should probably already be figured out before setting forth universal moral laws, none of which require such advanced mathematical proof.

On 9/22/2017 at 6:12 PM, Shekinah said:

The ten commandments were plagiarized from the ancient Egyptian Book of the Dead written before the time of Moses.

"Plagiarized" may rather inflammatory, but the Jews (or Hebrews or Israelites) were slaves in Egypt almost right up to the time the Ten Commandments were issued, so that is not really surprising. The interesting thing about the tenth commandment, is that even if one holds slavery to be out-and-out wrong, it is still wrong to covet one's neighbor's slaves.

>>>Thou shalt not deliver unto his master the servant which is escaped from his master unto thee: He shall dwell with thee, even among you, in that place which he shall choose in one of thy gates, where it liketh him best: thou shalt not oppress him.<<< [Deuteronomy 23:15-16]

On ‎21‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 8:19 PM, Shekinah said:

Religion talks about the Gods interfacing with and helping or hurting humans thousands of years ago when humans had no ability to be much of a problem to themselves or the planet. Today "we have become planet killers" and where are the Gods? Either they don't exist or they don't give a damn. Most likely we and other life forms across the universe are on our own to do as we will, few survive themselves most self destruct and the stars shed no tears. The commandments attributed to the Gods are all fabricated by men who would rule the multitudes with fear and intimidation. The only true commandment is "An ye harm none, Do as ye will".

You did not give me anything to argue against.

Regards

DL

On ‎22‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 1:57 AM, B-52 said:

I have heard that from some who profess Wicca, and that is fine: the implied freedom is a necessary part of that law.

The Ten Commandments were written three on one tablet, and seven on the other.

I. Exodus 20:2-6. I am the Lord thy God. Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
II. Exodus 20:7 Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain.
III. Exodus 20:8-11  Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.

IV. Exodus 20:12 Honor thy father and mother.
V. Exodus 20:13 Thou shalt not kill.
VI. Exodus 20:14 Thou shalt not commit adultery.
VII. Exodus 20:15 Thou shalt not steal.
VIII. Exodus 20:16 Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.
IX. Exodus 20:17 (a) Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house.
X. Exodus 20:17 (b) Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife ... servant ... ox ... ass ... nor any thing that is thy neighbour's.

The three on the first tablet pertained to the relationship between man and God, and the seven on the second tablet pertained to the relationship between man and fellow man. The first three of the ten commandments are summarized in Deuteronomy 6:5, and the remaining seven in Leviticus 19:18, which Jesus also mentioned.

There is an old expression in the Swedish language,

<< boskap och betjäntskap >>

meaning "cattle and servants," but that word "betjäntskap" was like "boskap" ("cattle")  a collective noun and mentioned in the same breath in parallel in part to reinforce the notion of "owning" servants as one owned cattle ... that is, slavery, for which the more stark and straightforward Swedish word is "träldom."

"Tjäna" is "to serve" in Swedish, and "tjänare" is "servant," but "en betjänt" is literally "an indentured servant." Thus "betjäntskap" is literally "indentured servitude," although the word was used as a collective noun to refer to one's slaves right alongside cattle, in a rather smooth progression of the degree of grammatical animacy of one's possessions.

Of the Gnostic commandments you mentioned, #2 and #3 are clearly stated in the Bible. As to your #5 and #6, the Baby Boomers in particular wreaked wanton havoc on the environment and greatly impoverished the following generations economically and culturally.

There is just too much sophistry to your #1 and #4: these issues should probably already be figured out before setting forth universal moral laws, none of which require such advanced mathematical proof.

Thanks for this.

So which set is better to you?

The set that promotes equality of all people of the other that divides us and denies many equality?

Regards

DL

On ‎22‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 10:12 PM, Shekinah said:

The ten commandments were plagiarized from the ancient Egyptian Book of the Dead written before the time of Moses.

I agree.

Which set above is morally better to you?

Regards

DL

2 hours ago, Gnostic Christian Bishop said:

So which set is better to you?

The set that promotes equality of all people of the other that divides us and denies many equality?

None of those ten commandments as stated require circumcision; but inasmuch as they are interpreted to require circumcision, (which they were and apparently still are by the Jews,) they are no good. Paul explained that the law was "weak through the flesh" -- that concept of "weakness" in the original Greek referring to a defective or deficient manhood, i.e., part of it was cut off under that law.

I believe that there is a law that is high and good and perfect, but the problem is how best to express it in human terms. I don't have any problem either with

2 hours ago, Gnostic Christian Bishop said:

"An ye harm none, Do as ye will"

as it is often stated by Wiccans, but there is too much black magic, and in fact very grievous harm to innocent humans hanging onto those coattails and broomsticks. "Do as ye will" may go a bit too far -- perhaps harm is avoided or mitigated under that law but there may be too little concern for the true well-being of the soul.

But no true or perfect or just law states that we must harm the body or commit mayhem in order to save the soul.

So as to #4

On 9/16/2017 at 5:53 AM, Gnostic Christian Bishop said:

Use Gnosis and put logic and reason and their proofs above faith, which by its nature has no proofs, logic or reason.

Yes, certainly, in the context of the law. Proof beyond a reasonable doubt. Not some "faith" or belief or concern that one is "mentally ill" and unfit to possess a firearm. I may have slightly misunderstood the context of #1 and #4 at first. Please do explain or correct me...

"Do as ye will " is only for "Wise Ones" the stupid masses need laws to protect themselves from each other. I have been a Witch since 1951 and this way of life has been the best thing that ever happened to me. It's pretty handy to be able to influence probabilities in life, wander between worlds and enjoy a personal relationship with the "Watchers" (Gods/Goddesses) other world Divinities who occasionally walk with me. I have no need to believe anything I have a Goddess who answers all questions and protects me. This is how it should be we are children of Gods and should make effort to develop a relationship with our progenitors and stay away from the prevailing religions that only plunder our mind, time and wealth. I never would have survived 50 years doing odd jobs in Asia for the "Agency" had I not been a Witch.

15 hours ago, B-52 said:

None of those ten commandments as stated require circumcision; but inasmuch as they are interpreted to require circumcision, (which they were and apparently still are by the Jews,) they are no good. Paul explained that the law was "weak through the flesh" -- that concept of "weakness" in the original Greek referring to a defective or deficient manhood, i.e., part of it was cut off under that law.

I believe that there is a law that is high and good and perfect, but the problem is how best to express it in human terms. I don't have any problem either with

as it is often stated by Wiccans, but there is too much black magic, and in fact very grievous harm to innocent humans hanging onto those coattails and broomsticks. "Do as ye will" may go a bit too far -- perhaps harm is avoided or mitigated under that law but there may be too little concern for the true well-being of the soul.

But no true or perfect or just law states that we must harm the body or commit mayhem in order to save the soul.

So as to #4

Yes, certainly, in the context of the law. Proof beyond a reasonable doubt. Not some "faith" or belief or concern that one is "mentally ill" and unfit to possess a firearm. I may have slightly misunderstood the context of #1 and #4 at first. Please do explain or correct me...

You seem to understand #4 as you put facts before faith.

# 1 shows that you are correct in following your own thinking on this moral and level of intelligent thought on issues.

Your --- "But no true or perfect or just law states that we must harm the body or commit mayhem in order to save the soul." --- seems to go against the adage that for evil to grow, all good people need do is nothing.

If we see evil, I think we have a duty to humanity to fight that evil by whatever means are required.

Turn the other cheek rewards evil, while, do unto others, or reciprocity, reciprocity is fair play. 

Some are now using Harm/Care as a reciprocity rule which says that you return what is given, be it good or evil, and that way we do not reward evil.

Regards

DL 

4 hours ago, Shekinah said:

"Do as ye will " is only for "Wise Ones" the stupid masses need laws to protect themselves from each other. I have been a Witch since 1951 and this way of life has been the best thing that ever happened to me. It's pretty handy to be able to influence probabilities in life, wander between worlds and enjoy a personal relationship with the "Watchers" (Gods/Goddesses) other world Divinities who occasionally walk with me. I have no need to believe anything I have a Goddess who answers all questions and protects me. This is how it should be we are children of Gods and should make effort to develop a relationship with our progenitors and stay away from the prevailing religions that only plunder our mind, time and wealth. I never would have survived 50 years doing odd jobs in Asia for the "Agency" had I not been a Witch.

Sages seem to consider others more than themselves. What has you being a witch given to others?

Regards

DL

Service to my country as a Noetic operative in Vietnam and Laos 67-72, consultant and instructor in our psychic warrior program at Langley and the Pentagon. I am no Sage, simply one who helps the "Agency" realize it's motto "Ye shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free".

9 hours ago, Gnostic Christian Bishop said:

"Do as ye will " is only for "Wise Ones" the stupid masses need laws to protect themselves from each other.

Here we go again. The Protocols of the Meetings of the Learned Elders of Zion and all manner of such literature. The problem I have with this is to prevent those "Wise Ones" from harming the "stupid masses" in their esteemed level of learning. Yes, yes, yes, there are "stupid masses" doing marijuana and other drugs and alcohol, and so on and so forth, but the self-professed "Wise Ones" are not excused from helping them to help themelves.

9 hours ago, Gnostic Christian Bishop said:

Your --- "But no true or perfect or just law states that we must harm the body or commit mayhem in order to save the soul." --- seems to go against the adage that for evil to grow, all good people need do is nothing.

right, i had better qualify that.

no true or perfect or just law states that we must harm the body or commit mayhem a priori in order to save the soul.

we need a definition of mayhem http://law.justia.com/codes/california/2016/code-pen/part-1/title-8/chapter-2/section-203/
and aggravated mayhem http://law.justia.com/codes/california/2016/code-pen/part-1/title-8/chapter-2/section-205/

if we do nothing to prevent that mayhem, they we are guilty of it -- but yes, to prevent or stop it requires committing very great harm to those who continue to maim i överdåd och i onödan. high california, for all its long prison sentences, is not able to stop the crime of mayhem or even slow it down. that requires a much harsher punishment ...

14 hours ago, Shekinah said:

Service to my country as a Noetic operative in Vietnam and Laos 67-72, consultant and instructor in our psychic warrior program at Langley and the Pentagon. I am no Sage, simply one who helps the "Agency" realize it's motto "Ye shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free".

That is a job in an unproven field.

Not something done for love of man.

Regards

DL

10 hours ago, B-52 said:

Here we go again. The Protocols of the Meetings of the Learned Elders of Zion and all manner of such literature. The problem I have with this is to prevent those "Wise Ones" from harming the "stupid masses" in their esteemed level of learning. Yes, yes, yes, there are "stupid masses" doing marijuana and other drugs and alcohol, and so on and so forth, but the self-professed "Wise Ones" are not excused from helping them to help themelves.

right, i had better qualify that.

no true or perfect or just law states that we must harm the body or commit mayhem a priori in order to save the soul.

we need a definition of mayhem http://law.justia.com/codes/california/2016/code-pen/part-1/title-8/chapter-2/section-203/
and aggravated mayhem http://law.justia.com/codes/california/2016/code-pen/part-1/title-8/chapter-2/section-205/

if we do nothing to prevent that mayhem, they we are guilty of it -- but yes, to prevent or stop it requires committing very great harm to those who continue to maim i överdåd och i onödan. high california, for all its long prison sentences, is not able to stop the crime of mayhem or even slow it down. that requires a much harsher punishment ...

That first was not my quote so I will ignore your comment on it and let Shekinah reply.

10 hours ago, B-52 said:

The apostles creed says the opposite. It tells Christians to accept substitutionary atonement, an immoral tenet, or end in hell.

You are correct that it is not perfect or just.

Regards

DL

I never said I have any love for humanity. I walk with an acute level of situational awareness. Been shot at by children and little old ladies.