Sign in to follow this  
B-52

Do Mexican drug cartels rule southwestern USA?

Rate this topic

This past summer I spent some time in El Paso, Texas, sleeping in a back alley wherever I could. One afternoon, I almost stumbled over a dead body in the sidewalk: a good-looking middle-aged man, dressed in style and artfully laid there on his back, expensive sunglasses right beside his head. That night, I decided to sleep somewhere different, and found a hiding place in a back alley near where the railroad tracks crossed the border from Ciudad Juárez in the Mexican state of Chihuahua.

(I had also noticed signs on the freeway exits for "Juárez, Mexico," which I thought rather insulting and illiterate, almost as if someone would refer to Kansas City, Missouri as "Kansas, America." The word ciudad, of course, means "city," but it is actually part of the name of the city, just as for example "Kansas City, Missouri" or "Rapid City, South Dakota.")

Anyways, that night after I lay down in my hiding place, at about 10:00 or 10:30 pm, I heard a lot of shooting. The shooting came closer and closer to me, and then it stopped.  Evidently the shooters did not see me.  I do not believe they were targeting me specifically, but I do not believe either that they would have hesitated to kill me as well.  shortly afterwards, I fell asleep, and I was awakened at about 2:00 or 2:30 am by the sound of ambulance sirens.  I immediately assumed that this was the time the dead bodies were officially discovered by the authorities, and the ambulances were called to pick them up.  I still did not emerge from my hiding place, and I got to thinking, that now was about the time the graveyard shift of the city police would be out on patrol after taking over from the swing shift, who must have been completely deaf not to know that so much shooting had taken place on their shift.

A few days later the police made some kind of motion to cite me on a trumped-up loitering/jaywalking charge, but I skipped out on it and walked after I judged that their paperwork was not sufficiently in order either to obtain a warrant for my arrest or to extradite me from another state.  Not being a "local," there was simply no way I could have remained in town and stayed alive for a supposed court appearance whose time and date were not properly fixed and whose circumstances were rather vague and suspiciously related to a Chihuahuas' baseball game against some team from Washington State where I am from.

I'm thinking a lot of "fans" were coming over the border for the game and this was the reason the cops were looking the other way, and this is what angered the drug cartels who monopolize human traffic across the border.