Facebook bans Britain First and its leaders

Most people know there was never any free-speech on Facebook - a commercial entity - but if there was any doubt this can now be removed.

They have also removed recently convicted leader Paul Golding and deputy leader Jayda Fransen.   They were convicted for religious harassment.

More on this story can be read here

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2018/03/14/facebook-bans-pages-britain-first-leaders-paul-golding-jayda/#comments

Where the comments appear to be overwhelmingly against the action taken by Facebook.

While I don't know what the content was, Facebook gave plenty of warning but Britain First ignored it.  Considering that what Donald Trump retweeted was a complete fabrication it suggests that there were probably a lot of inaccuracies, lies and falsehoods designed to incite hatred.

Paul Golding and Jayda Fransen were convicted of religiously aggravated harassment. No mention of race or racism.

On 16/03/2018 at 1:57 PM, Jambobskiwobski said:

Paul Golding and Jayda Fransen were convicted of religiously aggravated harassment. No mention of race or racism.

You are correct. I have altered my post accordingly.   Though as to "giving plenty of warning",  the pair were convicted on the 7th of March and Facebook removed them on the 14th.  I suspect it might be difficult to logon to Facebook while in prison!   That is the thing about free speech, if you let people say what they want to say, then often they expose themselves as fools.  If you censor them and strip them of that right, then it just looks as if they are correct and you are trying to hide the truth.  A famous example of this was the BNP leader from some years ago, people were horrified that he was invited on to Question Time and this was giving his ideas much need publicity.  But sadly he came over as the biggest buffoon possible, so rather than giving him credence it destroyed any he had.   This is a big part of why I believe in free speech and am strongly against censorship, and I would much rather their website and pages were left live for everyone to see what the fuss was about.

On 16/03/2018 at 1:57 PM, Jambobskiwobski said:

it suggests that there were probably a lot of inaccuracies, lies and falsehoods designed to incite hatred.

Unfortunately we live in a time where telling inconvenient truth is tarred as inciting hatred.   I would like to be able to see what they posted and see if it was indeed hateful or just an inconvenient truth that the government wished to silence.

But one thing is a fact.  Arresting them, trying them, convicting them, and banning them on Facebook has definitely given them a lot of attention!

There is no doubt in anyone's mind there is a huge problem with grooming of young girls, that has been ignored by the state for decades.   No one needs Paul or Jayda to run around shouting "paedophile"  at people who they mistakenly thought were guilty.  What we desperately need is support for the young victims, them to be listened to and helped.  Has convicting them helped with that?  Or does it make people less likely to stand up and say this is wrong?  I think the latter for everyday people.

What the authorities don't seem to realise is that speech is a pressure valve (or perhaps they do and they want an explosion)

Going back to the BNP leader.  He was arrested too for inciting racial hatred.  And had to face two trials, but was cleared of all charges, because a jury will not convict someone for telling the truth!  Two things I remember him saying were that home grown terrorists (Muslims born here) would strike on UK soil, and that there was a huge problem with grooming in Muslim communities.  At the time he was vilified for both of these, but both of those subsequently were proved true.

On 3/16/2018 at 5:57 AM, Jambobskiwobski said:

convicted of religiously aggravated harassment.

"Harassment" -- like some girl's bratty little brother is annoying her, and she wants to press charges -- and get this -- religion is an aggravating factor to the crime.

(That's what Facebook is all about. Would you like to press charges? Can you pick him out of a line-up? Off the subject //)

Back on topic: Britain First. https://www.britainfirst.org/ "Taking our country back!" Far-right! Racist! Fascist!

(Never mind the Muslim extremist terrorism is not to be considered "religiously aggravated" in any case, because the Muslims are a protected minority in the extreme political correctness that has taken over not only Britain but continental Europe as well.)

That cross-burning Mark Zuckerberg with his white hoodie is more of a racist as any of them and he bans them for racism!

That looks bad. FB stock isn't doing that well lately.

On 20/03/2018 at 10:36 PM, F-16 said:

That looks bad. FB stock isn't doing that well lately.

The world would be a better place if FB were to die.  I hear on the grapevine that its seen as very uncool by youngsters,and for "old people",  That in itself will probably kill it.  I don't think these kids will grow older and then wish to use FB.

On 3/21/2018 at 3:13 PM, Trinity said:

The world would be a better place if FB were to die.  I hear on the grapevine that its seen as very uncool by youngsters,and for "old people",  That in itself will probably kill it.  I don't think these kids will grow older and then wish to use FB.

Interesting. I am old enough to have aged out of the young, tech-illiterate demographic FB wishes to attract. I refuse to play that game of chasing the young and "cool," the latest song and band, the new movie that just came out, and blah blah blah. I don't like their "real name" or "real face" policies, either, or the data-mining and wholesale identity theft they engage in. Zuck may have changed his hoodie for a starched white collar and a black tie, but that only makes him a white-collar criminal rather than a street thug hood rat.

An interesting thing to do if you use FB.   Visit https://www.facebook.com/settings  and then click on "Download a copy of your Facebook data"  

Look through the data, everything you said, everything you posted,  every private message between you and your contact, every IP address you logged in from.   I am also reading some people are seeing all the phone numbers of their contacts.  I did not have that as I have never used FB on a mobile.

It does not make for comfortable reading!  #Deletefacebook