Sign in to follow this  
2401 SQUARE

Is Finnish an Indo-European language?

Linguists do not think so. They place it in a different family altogether. But I recognize many native Finnish words in English and French, which are Indo-European.

huone, huono = home, homely

kuka, -kö, -ko = who, what, which; Fr. qui, que, quoi

tuoli, istua = stool, sit

luulla = to be deluded

leipä = loaf

minun = me, my, mine

he, heidän = they, them, their, theirs

hän = he, she

seitsemän = seven

vaimo = wife, woman

meri = maritime, marine

There are many more, but I fear to include words that are either not native Finnish or not true cognates.

There are other strange allegories in Finnish, not altogether translatable.

ajatella = to think leading thoughts (to think about something, I wonder, is it possible....)

luulla = to think following thoughts (to think that some proposition is true, to have a firm belief or conclusion)

eduskunta = leading congregation (a lawmaking body)

seurakunta = following congregation (a religious worship)

The root kunta seems related to koko, "the whole" or else a pile, heap, stack or collection of something, koota, to gather, collect or assemble things, and kokoontua, to come together, said of those who gather of themselves.

The Swedish verb kunna, to know how, be able, or have knowledge of something, is eerily reminiscent of the same root:

kunskap = science;

kunskapens träd på gott och ont = the tree of knowledge of good and evil;

förkunna = to declare, publish, or make known

känna = to know; conocer in Spanish, rather than saber.

erkänna = to acknowledge.

If one says "In Congress ..." in English as the Founding Fathers did in many documents, then in Swedish, this would be "I Samlag ..." that is, in the very act or deed, or in its laying down as the law.

In Finnish it is slightly different: "Eduskunnassa ..." that is, in the acknowledgment of the act or deed, or in its bringing forth or realization at the table of discussion (junta in Spanish).

It is odd I should think "science" for Swedish kunskap, because science is more properly vetenskap, from veta, "to know," the other kind of "knowing", saber in Spanish rather than conocer.

In Swedish, tänka is the leading thought, and tycka is the following or concluding thought.

And there are strange idioms in Swedish and Finnish for "liking" someone or something.

In Swedish, tycka om, is "to like" something, literally to maintain or hold fast to a "fondness" or memory of it.

In Finnish, pitää jostakin [tai jostakusta], also, literally to "hold fast" or keep to a "fondness" of or about something or someone.

The word or expression for the "fondness" or "liking" is missing in both languages, but it is in the holding fast or thinking "of" or "about" something or someone. If the Swedes and the Finns do not "like" something or someone, then they do not obsess or hold on to that thing or person or idea. In that sense, "liking" is difficult or confusing to negate or deny in those languages. What is not liked is simply ignored or not spoken of in those cultures. People are expected to think and speak of what they do like, rather than making themselves miserable with negativity. It's the same philosophy as "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all."

The "like" is a little bit gay in that respect in those languages. It's an expression of fashion or fair-weather friendship. Too positive and fleeting for reality.