Sign in to follow this  
F-16

The Anchorage earthquake 11/30/2018

Rate this topic

It happened just before dawn under a crescent moon. The sun rises late and sets early this time of year.

Aftershocks continued all morning. 

Mountain View area. Strong shaking, very close to epicenter, but little damage, because the area is poor, the buildings are mostly wood framed, not as tall as the midtown Anchorage skyscraper office buildings, and there's a little more elevation above sea level here, so the soil is less soggy and more solid, not as prone to amplify the shaking.

Natural earthquake?

Or secret underground nuclear "test" by a hostile nation-state?

We have to ask. Russia? Probably "NIMBY" for the Russians. So. Iran? Israel? Saudi Arabia? 

Where are the detailed seismographic data?

Someone needs bring out a Geiger counter anywhere fissures opened up in the earth to test escaping gasses for ionizing radiation.

6For thus saith the LORD of hosts; Yet once, it is a little while, and I will shake the heavens, and the earth, and the sea, and the dry land; 7And I will shake all nations, and the desire of all nations shall come: and I will fill this house with glory, saith the LORD of hosts. 8The silver is mine, and the gold is mine, saith the LORD of hosts.

26Whose voice then shook the earth: but now he hath promised, saying, Yet once more I shake not the earth only, but also heaven. 27And this word, Yet once more, signifieth the removing of those things that are shaken, as of things that are made, that those things which cannot be shaken may remain.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/earthquake-seismic-waves-mayotte-madagascar-volcanic-activity-science-a8659236.html?amp

Undoubtedly a significant contributing factor to triggering this morning's earthquake in Anchorage, Alaska.

This earthquake was not the "Big One."

I could feel the ground traveling violently about two feet back and forth, and at a certain point,  it felt that all hell was about to break loose, and the shaking was just on the point of becoming so violent as to reduce every standing structure of human habitation to rubble, but at that point the shaking gradually eased, but the ground is still shifting and settling with continual aftershocks into -- hopefully for the time being -- a temporary "metastable" position.

The great seismic stress was not released by this morning's earthquake, but it does feel that the tectonic plates have been brought even closer to a "precipice" or "hair-trigger" of release of extreme stress in a future earthquake which will be much, much more powerful even than the one of 1964, let alone the one of this morning.

Claimed no lives, say officials. I cannot believe that. In a city of 300,000, there is a considerable natural death rate, which is no doubt elevated at the time of an earthquake like this, even if the additional deaths cannot be specifically or individually attributed to the earthquake.

And what about George H.W. Bush, who died today at 94? Probably older than most people make it, but how was he doing before the federal disaster declaration?

A very strange coincidence.

The scientists say that the source of the earth's heat is the radioactive decay of uranium, but that is inconsequential to the great heat of the earth's core and mantle. There is too little uranium, and its half-life is too long, despite the long decay chains, to account for that heat.

The true source of the earth's heat and the movement of its tectonic plates is electromagnetic induction from the solar wind. Electrically charged particles streaming from the sun magnetically induce powerful electric currents in the core of the earth as well as in the Van Allen belts around the earth. The electric currents, circulating through the molten iron in the core of the earth, not only create heat by electrical resistance, but cause the iron to move, flow, and circulate in the presence of a magnetic field, as if the earth were an enormous electric motor.

These effects also, of course, serve to maintain the daily rotation of the earth against the tidal drag of the moon, which is another significant source of heat.

Edited by F-16
Attribution of death

The aftershocks are continuing, and like the original earthquake, are worse at low tide.

Low tide in Anchorage occurs somewhat paradoxically when the moon is overhead or underfoot, and high tide occurs around moonrise and moonset, when the gravitational field on the surface of the Earth is strongest.

Anchorage tides usually run about 30 feet on average. The weight of that vast quantity of water in the Cook Inlet, in synchrony with the tidal variation of strength of the earth's gravitational field, massages the tectonic plate under the seabed, and the water itself lubricates the subduction zone, especially when it seeps in toward the magma, and steams and softens the soil. Great forces from the entire seabed of the Pacific Ocean and the whole continents of North America and Asia converge in the area to cause the earthquakes here in a zone of relatively easy slippage.

There is a continuing vibration on a cycle of about 1/2 or 3/4 second, and sometimes a swaying on a period of 2-3 seconds like sea swells. Cupboards and doors rattle constantly, and another quake with its own aftershocks hits every day at noon or in the middle of the night or in the morning.