Sign in to follow this  
F-16

Seventh Day Adventist hypocrisy

Rate this topic

I was reading a book, a piece of religious literature which they had distributed. There is a certain subtle and roundabout way they talk about the Sabbath day and the exact hours of its observance.

The Jews' Sabbath in ancient Rome coincided with Saturday on the Roman calendar. Emperor Constantine was not a fool when he decreed that Christians should celebrate the Sabbath on the "venerable day of the sun."

That is, Sunday. Obviously Constantine did not think that Saturday, the day of Saturn, the Roman god of wine, was so venerable. In any case, it was the weekend, and people of the bread-and-circuses sort partied and drank a lot of alcohol in those days.

"Let us who are of the day be sober ..."

Jesus rose from the grave early on Sunday morning, after all. Even Constantine the Great thought the Roman day of the Sun to represent sobriety was more venerable for worship than Saturn's day of wine and drunkenness.

So back to the Seventh-Day Adventists, possibly Jehovah's Witnesses and others as well. I live near the international date line, so theoretically if I were to observe the Sabbath on Saturday, it would already be Sunday in the easternmost parts of Russia, but the Russian Orthodox Christians have church on Sunday when it is already Monday in Russia.

The letter of the law of Moses is more of taking a required rest after six days of work, not which particular day of the week in the Roman calendar on which it should fall.

But their rigid insistence on a Saturday observance and "separating themselves" from the ungodly, heathens, and pagans leads me to believe that Adventists are sneaking that knife of genital mutilation and circumcision into their religion under color of law, along with an avoidance of pork and shellfish, or prohibitions on meat and milk in the same meal, or other Biblical ordinances that were in effect and enforced at one time or another.

I don't trust their Saturday teetotaling sermons when the Adventists open the liquor store on Sunday. People are full of shit and they are subtly avoiding the real issues.