Sign in to follow this  
Neo

US starts to ban bottled water!

Rate this topic

A law passed by the town of Concord, in the US state of Massachusetts, went into effect with the New Year, making single-serving bottles of water illegal. However, Coke or other soft drinks are exempt, it only applies to non-sparkling, unflavored drinking water. The ban is intended to encourage use of tap water and curb the worldwide problem of plastic pollution. Sanctions for now include first time warning and a second offend will be fined $25, and $50 thereafter.

http://www.blacklistednews.com/US_starts_to_ban_bottled_water/23455/0/38/38/Y/M.html

I only drink bottled water,mostly because tap water tastes so bad.  You have to ask what are they putting in it?  Chlorine to kill all the bugs, as lets not forget tap water is recycled toilet water that has been filtered and chlorinated.  I even tried one of those Brita filters, it still taste the same.

But the bigger question.  Is it upto the law makers to tell me I cant drink the water I want to?  If they are so concerned about this, here's an idea.  Do something about the quality of tap water, stop putting fluoride in it and then maybe people will choose to drink it.

I think this is more to try and prevent the ridiculous amount of single-seving bottles that end up in landfil sites. having said that, I find it amusing they're not putting the same ban on the money-spinning bottled drinks like Coke or Pepsi.

I think it's part of Australia that banned single-serve bottles of water a few years ago - 2007, for the same reason - though I'm sure it applied to all small bottles, not just water.

They should try focusing on the quality of the tap water they are forcing the citizens to drink. It sucks. My tap water tastes god awful, I have to buy jugs of water because all I can taste is sulfur. And if they want to get rid of plastic pollution, encourage recycling more or force companies to use recycled plastic for their water bottles. There is no way I will be drinking anything but water from a bottle. I seriously hope this ban doesn't come over to where I live, although I have this awful feeling it is going to. 

Bottled water is often imported from another state which causes some households to be exposed to polutants not found in your current state. It ALSO means that if local gov put something in the water it may not reach 100% of the local population which they also don't like. In the end it's your body and you are responsible for what you drink or don't drink. Nothing is stopping you from getting water from a cleaner source and storing it however you want, except maybe laziness which they would be counting on.

Don't break laws but don't drink smelly or aweful tasting water either.

This is ridiculous in my opinion. I wonder if there doing this simply to push us to drink their tap water with all the chemicals they put in it. The government is becoming to bossy and controlling. They are telling us how we should live in so many aspects of our lives. We don't need a nanny or babysitter, we can think for ourselves.

I think this is more to try and prevent the ridiculous amount of single-seving bottles that end up in landfil sites. having said that, I find it amusing they're not putting the same ban on the money-spinning bottled drinks like Coke or Pepsi.
I dont think its amusing, I think its utterly corrupt. Obviously Coke must be able to afford a lot of money for bribes.

I don't understand the logic behind Coke/Pepsi not being banned. 

I understand that it's a money thing, of course, but who exactly are they banning then? And if it's single serving things, does that mean you can still buy the large packs of bottled water from the grocery store and whatnot then? Or have they banned that entirely, too? 

No, they only banned single serving bottles, the kind you buy 12 or 24 at a time.

Fact: there is a gyre floating off the Pacific coast north of Hawaii that is composed of nothing but floating plastic and it is over TWICE the size of Texas. It's the result of years of dumping trash in the ocean and it is impacting aquatic life out there a good deal.

Perhaps they just got tired of ignoring what we do to our planet in the name of convenience? I hope that's it.

No, they only banned single serving bottles, the kind you buy 12 or 24 at a time.

I buy a lot of those for the gym.  Its like all the fuss trying to stop people using plastic bags. I never see plastic bag litter, but I see a lot of McDonalds packets,  cigarettes and their packets, sweet wrappers.

So plastic bottles are bad?  So why did we all move from glass which was easily recyclable to plastic?

My family and I only drink bottled water. I buy 3 cases a week. We flavor them with sugar-free kool aid packets. The water in the small town we live in tastes like straight chlorine. Everyone in town says the same thing. We have even had people come in and they are now working on our water tower to try and fix the problem. Also my reasoning for bottled water only is, when my now 16 year old was only months old, we lived in a town in KY and the city had parasites in the water, and we were not able to use the tap water for anything for weeks, then finally we had boil advisories for months. I have not drank tap water since.

Nope. This encourages people to drink more soda instead of water. People like the convenience of being able to just grab a bottle of water at a gas station if they're on the go. Now what? They have soda as an option. This is beyond stupid, I'm not sure how it even passed. 

I only drink bottled water,mostly because tap water tastes so bad.  You have to ask what are they putting in it?  Chlorine to kill all the bugs, as lets not forget tap water is recycled toilet water that has been filtered and chlorinated.  I even tried one of those Brita filters, it still taste the same.

But the bigger question.  Is it upto the law makers to tell me I cant drink the water I want to?  If they are so concerned about this, here's an idea.  Do something about the quality of tap water, stop putting fluoride in it and then maybe people will choose to drink it.

Lol I was just thinking that. They lace our water with flouride and then tell us that we're not allowed to get our water from anywhere else. It makes you wonder how people can be silent throughout all this. Is it not blatantly obvious that we're just pawns to them...

I didn't even think of the soda companies. At first I figured that the soda companies already own the bottled water companies but then I remembered the post in the other board about the effects of soda.

Perhaps they are just trying to get a few more people into a soda addiction. Bottled water is probably not quite as addictive and profitable.

Someone needs to get a few pictures of the guy who thought up this new law while he is holding a water bottle. How many times do you see a politician preaching something but then not following the laws himself? Hand him a bottle at the gym, take a pic, and put it online for the world to see as he takes a drink.

This is ridiculous. Regardless of the intention, since when do American citizens need a nanny state telling us what is and isn't good for us? Obviously there need to be laws in place for a society to thrive, but banning bottled water? 

Now just how will this be enforced? Are they going after the manufacturers or individual buyers? If buyers, what will they do to find those who purchase? Check their grocery bags? This all sounds a bit ridiclous. Large quantities of discarded plastic is a problem, but is this a solution?

It will be manufacturers.  i hope you have read Neo's post about what soda does to your body.  It disgusts me that people sell things like this, just like the cigarettes of my grand parents generation.  THEY knew they gave you cancer and still they sold them,

http://www.therealconspiracyforum.com/index.php?/topic/46-how-soft-drinks-impact-your-health/?hl=soda

I bet there will be big law cases against drink companies in the future, just like there were against the cigarette companies.

coke-drinker2_MEN__1412214a.jpg

Thanks. I saw his post. I stopped with the soda sometime ago, it's really just liquid sugar, making your bones thin.. The thing with bottled water, it could  be tap water, how do you know unless you are at the source. It's all crazy anyway. Cheers.

I only drink bottled water which has also been filtered, there is poison in the tap water, Sodium Flouride, Barium, Cyanide, Mercury, they say the flouride is good for our teeth but this is just a lie, they let us drink the toxic waste from alluminium companies, and the human kidney is used as a filter for them,

Thats all we are when it comes to the water companies, just walking talking chemical filters, so they do not have to pay for toxic waste,

If they care so much about our teeth, why not put essential minerals and vitamins into the water, Also Flouride is the main ingredient in prozac, cuz it makes us dosile.

Check out this article on the Danger of Flouride

http://www.newworldnewage.com/2013/01/dangers-of-flouride.html

I highly recommend a good water filter system, once you stop drinking tap water and only drink filtered, when you taste tap water again it tastes like a chemical potion, which it is.

great posts people, we all have to work harder than ever exposing the truth.

This is utterly ridiculous. Why ban just bottled water when you can also ban soda and other unhealthy drinks that also come in plastic bottles? It seems utterly outrageous to be banning only water. Especially if you're like me and you live in an area where the water randomly goes from drinkable to bubbly horrible tasting to brown. It's been a frustrating time since that's been going on here and since then, all I drink is bottled water. I'll fill my bottles at fountains at school or work, but I don't like to drink the tap water from where I live. Despite complaints to the local government and to our landlord, not much as been done about it. 

I'm more concerned with the issue with the soda being excluded. If the purpose of the ban was to reduce the amount of recycle in dumpsters and such, why wouldn't they also ban soda? Soda incredibly harmful over a long period of time. I've had to dump it out of my diet when I started having heath problems and suddenly I noticed a change in my energy, the way I sleep and even the way I smell after sweating. 

@Trinity, thanks for sharing that. I might have to go dig into that some more. I know for my nieces their dentist gave them fluoride tablets to use because he believed they weren't getting enough. However, my sister stopped using it when they were having issues sleeping. I think this warrants more research on my part.

I'm more concerned with the issue with the soda being excluded. If the purpose of the ban was to reduce the amount of recycle in dumpsters and such, why wouldn't they also ban soda? Soda incredibly harmful over a long period of time. I've had to dump it out of my diet when I started having heath problems and suddenly I noticed a change in my energy, the way I sleep and even the way I smell after sweating. 

This concerns me, too. Sodas are soooo much worse for people than water is, too, so I just don't understand why they would exempt those. If anything, they should ban soda being sold in individual bottles and leave the water alone. Geesh. 

The companies who make soda make massive profits and have a lot of money to lobby governments.  That's the only reason.  They might even be behind this, as someone else said if water isnt available people are more like to buy soda.  Maybe water sales were cutting into their profits and they didnt like it.

I didn't think of that, it might very well be the soda industry that has paid for campaigns or is pressuring government to act. The green thumb, pro earth, movements have been trying to pressure government but what tends to work better is cold hard cash and so I wouldn't be surprised if this is a test of some sort to see if soda sales increase as a result.

If they do you might expect this law to pass to other areas. It does sound silly though, NO WATER IN THAT SINGLE SERVING CONTAINER!  oi, but I refill it officer :)

Has the water bottle based companies started fighting this yet? I mean, that's also cutting into their profit. I'm surprised I haven't heard much on them starting a slander campaign against the soda companies. My local big city passed a law banning the use of plastic bags and even added an additional nickel fee to anyone that requires the use of one. Personally, I liked the law because plastic bags were getting ridiculous in my area. However, this water based law is completely ridiculous. What about people that live in areas where the piping isn't good? If you've lived in a building with rusty pipes, the water can taste horrible and cause many illnesses.