Sign in to follow this  
iliketoread

Bible and Prophet

Rate this topic

People claims the Bible foretell the future. Prophets claim to be God's messanger. Do you believe people can fortell the future? Is there any truth to the Bible or is it all fiction? Is there some kind of conspiracy around the Bible? Do people do things to make it look like the future is written in the Bible to gain more followers/believers?

The article is about a much of predictions that came true and it was written in the Bible.
Source: http://sunandshield.wordpress.com/2007/04/04/10-prophecies-predicted-in-the-bible-fulfilled-in-history/

I think the bible is a bit of both.  There is some truth to it, but some of the stories are fabricated.  When you think about it this is a book that tells of events that happened thousands of years ago.  Over time these sort of events can get distorted as they are passed down.  Yes, some of this was written down and discovered, but other stuff mentioned in the bible may not have been written down at all.  For example the story of Adam and Eve, who wrote this one down.  Did God tell it to one of his prophets that came along later? So, I tend to see the bible as some truth and some fabrication.  I could be wrong, but this is just my view on the book itself.

As for the future being written in it.  Once again who is being told this.  I don't know if anyone can really foresee the future to the extent that is being claimed here.  Once again maybe I'm wrong, but I just can't see it happening.  

Well I was raised as a Roman Catholic, and everyone in our clan are Catholics or Christians, so I am one of those people that don't doubt the accuracy of the bible. The present events and future of the world and mankind is also written in the bible, and since some of them are clearly happening right now, and if you also include past events that have transpired that is also included in the bible, then you can say that the bible is indeed the genuine Word Of God.

When a large group of people devoutly believe something it has a greater chance of coming true. I don't think any of these things are real predictions. I believe the bible is a work of ficticious stories based on true events.

People are always picking and choosing parts of the bible that help support whatever cause they are promoting. The words get twisted and the real meaning is lost. Perhaps there are some coincidences  but I don't think you should look to the bible to fortell the future.

When a large group of people devoutly believe something it has a greater chance of coming true.

I like this, and agree 100%.  We as human beings have greater power than what we are made aware of.

I don't think the Bible tells the future. The only thing it tells us is what will happen when the world ends. But it doesn't say when that will be. The only notable prophecy in the Bible is that of Christ being born. And that already happened 2000 years ago.

The bible is more a collection of guidelines as to how to live your life according to God, and why you should be thankful to him. It isn't a crystal ball. 

Well I was raised as a Roman Catholic, and everyone in our clan are Catholics or Christians, so I am one of those people that don't doubt the accuracy of the bible. The present events and future of the world and mankind is also written in the bible, and since some of them are clearly happening right now, and if you also include past events that have transpired that is also included in the bible, then you can say that the bible is indeed the genuine Word Of God.

Sidney,

Are you from the US? Did you attend Catholic school? I was raised Roman Catholic and attended Catholic school. I was taught that The Bible wasn't to be taken literally except for the gospels. The rest were parables, stories and laws of the Jews people passed down orally until written down.

I am always surprised when Roman Catholic in the US taken The Bible literally because it was contrary to what I was taught my priests and nuns.

People claims the Bible foretell the future. Prophets claim to be God's messanger. Do you believe people can fortell the future? Is there any truth to the Bible or is it all fiction? Is there some kind of conspiracy around the Bible? Do people do things to make it look like the future is written in the Bible to gain more followers/believers?

The article is about a much of predictions that came true and it was written in the Bible.

Source: http://sunandshield.wordpress.com/2007/04/04/10-prophecies-predicted-in-the-bible-fulfilled-in-history/

With regards to your question about whether or not people can tell the future, YES! People can. I know this because of my grandmother, who has foretold too many an event and they have come to fruition, which was creepy when I was growing up, but it is now easy for me to grasp and cool even. One time my sister went to a night club with her friends, and my mother and I stayed home. We got a phone call from my grandmother around 10.15 at night, and she said not to panic, but something bad was about to happen.

I KID YOU NOT, fifteen minutes later, there was a phone call from one of my sister's friends saying that my sister had collapsed in the night clubs bathroom stall, due to alcohol poisoning.

Off of that, I do think that people can tell the future. I have lived proof of that and more than once, thanks to my grandmother.

There are parts of the bible that ring true for me, but the majority of it is nonsense in my opinion. They have made certain to brainwash so may with it that the 'last days' prophecy will appear to be coming true in their eyes.

I am on the fence on this one. I have to many questions about things that are in the bible. I think some things that are in the bible may be true and possible, but then again, I think some of it is way off. 

Do people do things to make it look like the future is written in the Bible to gain more followers/believers?

I'm going to paste a few of those predictions from the link posted above...

• Predicted ca. 855 BC: The prophet Elijah predicts Jezebel would be eaten by dogs upon her death in Jezreel. (1 Kings 21:23)– Fulfilled ca. 841 BC: Jezebel is killed in Jezreel and dogs eat her body (2 Kings 9:36).
  • Predicted ca 732 BC: Isaiah predicts the Medo-Persian empire will conquer Babylon [isaiah 13:17-18] and Babylon would become a wasteland.–Fulfilled in 538 BC when the Medes took over Babylon  and 275 BC when the Seleucids forced all of the inhabitants to leave.
  • Predicted ca. 732 BC: Isaiah says Egypt and Ethiopia would be conquered by Assyria (Isaiah 20:3-5).–Fulfilled ca. 673-670 BC when Assyria conquers the northeast African nations.

Here are a few more dates:

• 1,400 BC: The first written Word of God: The Ten Commandments delivered to Moses.
  • 500 BC: Completion of All Original Hebrew Manuscripts which make up The 39 Books of the Old Testament.
  • 500 AD: Scriptures have been Translated into Over 500 Languages.
  • 1611 AD: The King James Bible Printed; Originally with All 80 Books. The Apocrypha was Officially Removed in 1885 Leaving Only 66 Books.

Back to the predictions:

• Predicted in 855 BC, fulfilled in 841 BC, printed in the Bible, 2,452 years later.
  • Predicted in 732 BC, fulfilled in 538 BC, printed in the Bible, 2,149 years later.
  • Predicted in 732 BC, fulfilled in 673-670 BC, printed in the Bible, 2284-2281 years later.

There were a couple of predictions listed, such as, (Amos 9:15), in 760 BC Amos predicts Israel would be restored as a nation and would never be uprooted again, fulfilled in 1948 when Israel became the official State of Israel.

However, this was bound to happen at some point and is not an indication of a chosen land, chosen people, or a prophecy fulfilled. If thousands of comments were made, centuries ago, about what may or may not happen in the future, and the comments are written esoterically, it's like throwing darts at a dart board, if you throw several at one time, one or two are bound to hit the bulls-eye.

If I made a prediction, 30 years ago, and told you in writing that my prognostication came true 20 years ago, and the only proof I offered was what I wrote (and God inspired me to write it, by the way), would you believe me?

What I find to be absolutely HILARIOUS are the many predictions in the Old Testament that miraculously came to "pass" in the New Testament. Are you kidding me?

This is the precise reason why they call our generation, a "dumbed-down" society, because the majority does not READ/STUDY, except from ancient text that are about as real as the story of Peter Cottontail.

Ya'll remember the song ....

Here comes Peter Cottontail .. Hopping down the bunny trail .. Hippity hoppin', Easter's on its way!  ... Je-sus CHRIST, how can we be so gullible? Whoops, sorry, wrong choice of words. Holy Mithras, how can we be so STUPID?

I don't believe in biblical prophesy.  I think that impressionable people read about an apocolypse and because they believe in the 'end times' actually make it happen themselves.  Just take a look at how Goebbels manipulated the german people.  We could see, in just one generation, during a few decades what a good mind f*ck can accomplish much.  Much hatred, lies, malcontent, death.

No, I believe biblical prophesy is full of Sh*t. However, if you have enough people that believe in it, they will achieve it.

Sad to say, but true.

Rocky, on 22 Mar 2013 - 16:14, said:snapback.png

------

I like this, and agree 100%.  We as human beings have greater power than what we are made aware of.

With regards to your question about whether or not people can tell the future, YES! People can. I know this because of my grandmother, who has foretold too many an event and they have come to fruition, which was creepy when I was growing up, but it is now easy for me to grasp and cool even. One time my sister went to a night club with her friends, and my mother and I stayed home. We got a phone call from my grandmother around 10.15 at night, and she said not to panic, but something bad was about to happen.

I KID YOU NOT, fifteen minutes later, there was a phone call from one of my sister's friends saying that my sister had collapsed in the night clubs bathroom stall, due to alcohol poisoning.

Off of that, I do think that people can tell the future. I have lived proof of that and more than once, thanks to my grandmother.

There are parts of the bible that ring true for me, but the majority of it is nonsense in my opinion. They have made certain to brainwash so may with it that the 'last days' prophecy will appear to be coming true in their eyes.

I totally agree, there are people all over the world who are gifted with the power of premonition in one form or another. I am not surprised that your grandmother was able to foretell the future.

The Bible may describe the end of days but I am sure the stories are parables not meant to be taken literally, word for word but rather as a guide for our daily existence.

The bible in itself is up for interpretation. Different religions and priests have their own way of twisting it around to serve their purposes. People who claim to live their lives by the bible will pick and choose what they want to believe or see in the bible. Is the bible some great foretelling book of all our futures. Of that I do not know, and neither does anyone else. Nobody knows for sure if there is heaven or hell. Or how we all actually came to be. There is a ton of speculation and theroies. Anything if it is believed enough can become true. A human beings mind is an awesome instrument. It can actually start to believe in things if it is programmed and embedded enough. If you were raised to believe that the bible is the past present and future then you will naturally believe this. Because that is all you were taught. But not one human being on this planet knows the real truth.