Sign in to follow this  
Dante848

What is your Religious Standpoint?

Rate this topic

I am curious to know what the general religious standpoint of this forum is. I personally am an Atheist  This is for many reasons, mostly because of the incredible amount of biblical contradictions in the bible itself as well as contradictions from the two different time periods (Early Biblical writings and today's time).

Admittedly I used to believe in god, but as I got older and began to take an interest in science, it is much harder to believe any religion when facts are right in front of you. 

What is everyone opinion? 

None of the moderation team have any organised religious beliefs.  Which is probably why this subsection has remained empty till you posted.

Personally I see religion as an old fashioned way to control the people, it does astound me that any one in the modern day world still believes.  But Im interested in seeing debate here, hopefully we will get some new members with strong beliefs who can explain why they believe.

I don't have a need to believe. I treat others with respect, at least until I am disrespected at which point I will simply ignore them. When faced with violence however, and terrorism, by people who are saying I should die simply for being "from the west" or an "infidel" or whatever according to THEIR beliefs then I draw a line in the sand at people getting hurt in my country. I will not tolerate such idiotic beliefs as "if it doesn't please our god then you should die" as reason to watch Americans get hurt. Thankfully the fight is not on our soil very often.

Did you read about the Muslim fanatics taking pickaxes to Tibetan Bhudist temples last month while screaming "if praise not be to allah then death is the answer" or something close to that? How's that for intolerance?

I'm somewhere between agnostic and atheist, but with no real desire to figure out exactly where my beliefs are. Religion is not a part of my life, so it's not something I think about too often. I was raised in the Catholic Church, so I know about it, but I am far from following it.

None of the moderation team have any organised religious beliefs.  Which is probably why this subsection has remained empty till you posted.

Personally I see religion as an old fashioned way to control the people, it does astound me that any one in the modern day world still believes.  But Im interested in seeing debate here, hopefully we will get some new members with strong beliefs who can explain why they believe.

I agree hear. I think half of the problem with religion is the definition of it in the first place. I believe in many things that science tell me. I believe in a number of different fictional things as well (not that I know which is which.)

At times in my life, I've succombed to the soothing belief in some higher purpose or something smarter than me making the decisions but eventually I come to my senses. Through all that, the organization still stays locked as a load of bull in my brain.

If I define a religion then I'm bound to end up lying through my teeth at some point.

I believe that there is a God and in God. In my opinion this world is simply to amazing to simply be created on its own without no divine intervention. As to watch religion I adhere to, I'd like to think of myself as open to all faiths. God is God, I am more concerned with values and morals. This bickering and fighting that some individuals do in our society over religion causes more harm than good. No religion is better than the other and in my opinion they are all the same. The teachings are very similar. Its like human beings, we may look different on the outside and have different names, but on the inside were all the same. We all laugh, cry, and have various emotions. We need to see with our minds and not our eyes.

I'm a agnostic. To be honest, there are many arguments say that there is God and many others that say there isn't. But I've been thinking that there must be 'God' because if there was no mastermind creating this universe how on earth did people manage to develop talking? Because even if it was the big bang theory that created the universe, I doubt it helped create life without the work from God. But then again, if God was real, why does he not help people from dying? Or is it because that he wants to see how we humans behave on our own and allow us to develop his creation on our own.

I'm a agnostic. To be honest, there are many arguments say that there is God and many others that say there isn't. But I've been thinking that there must be 'God' because if there was no mastermind creating this universe how on earth did people manage to develop talking? Because even if it was the big bang theory that created the universe, I doubt it helped create life without the work from God. But then again, if God was real, why does he not help people from dying? Or is it because that he wants to see how we humans behave on our own and allow us to develop his creation on our own.

You can research how human speech has developed by searching Google. The thing about god not helping people from dying, I can't explain. If there was a god I would expect him to live up to his wholesome morality he claims to have. Most say he can't help directly or present himself because it would violate our free will. Because apparently  we couldn't reject god if we knew he existed. In the bible, Lucifer knows god exists, and rejects him. So that is a contradiction right there. One of the many reasons I am an Atheist. 

The other thing Google will tell you, Dante, is that religion has been the cause of more deaths, torture and suffering than any other cause on the planet, bar none. Wars have been waged solely based on religion and today many wars are raging where one side is fighting for their religious beliefs while the other wants natural resources and oil. Religion is evil when used to control others.

I don't believe or approve in an organized religion but I do my very best to respect them all, as long as those beliefs are forced upon me. The inconsistencies in the Bible aren't something I give too much thought too, since it is a collection of books, written by man and thus, many voices are encapsulated in the work.

Personally, I do believe in a force of creation that created the cosmos and our world. I'm just undecided whether that force is a big guy with a grey beard, looking down upon us.

Dagscot, how can you respect a religion that would say to your face that you should die for not believing in Alah as the one true god? under Islam it is not ok to be a non-believer or to believe in another god and there is no provision for tolerance of others. When you face such absolute decries and irrational thinking with little regard for life does it REALLY deserve respect?

I guess you could say I am just plain confused! I was brought up in a Methodist church, and then married to a Catholic. I just have to many questions regarding religion. I believe there is something powerful out there, I'm just not sure what. How can so many religions claim to be the "correct" religion? How can many people of "deep faith" be so cruel to others that don't share their beliefs? How do we really know who wrote the Bible and how do we know it is real? I just have to many questions. I proclaim myself religiously confused!

I have a very strong faith in God and I defend the Bible, but I am not a religious person. I don't feel the need to attend church to have a relationship with God. I never grew up in a strict religious family so I was always free to question God and religion. I only seek to understand God and the more questions I ask, the better my understanding becomes. All I can say is ask questions and keep an open mind. Understanding will come to you in surprising ways.

I think your view represent a lot of people Lucy. Just because you have beliefs doesn't mean you need to be in church once a week or to pray every day. Some religions make that mandatory, and even throw people in jails or beat them if they don't comply, but most don't. Unfortunately these tend not to have an open mind either!

I'm an Christian orthodox. I believe in Jesus, God and the Holy Spirit. I couldn't say I'm following it with passion. I'm actually a bit disappointed in how the church is getting into making business nowadays. I thought money are the tool of the Devil, but looks like the priests and other church related persons like them a lot.

If you are a believer I would strongly suggest you watch the film Zeitgeist.  Theres a link to it on the forum, found it:-

http://www.therealconspiracyforum.com/index.php?/topic/31-zeitgeist-the-movie/?hl=movie

Jesus is almost exactly like the Egyptian God Horus. Both were born of a virgin on Dec 25th and visited by 3 Kings. Both were baptized by a "Baptist" who was beheaded. Started to preach at the age of 30 and had 12 diciples. Both were Crucified and buried for 3 days; then resurrected.

Horus was 3000 years before. 

The other big one for me was the 25th of December.  People had been celibraiting the winter solstice at this time for thousands of years,  Jesus's birthday replaced this celibration. 

It all seems made up to me, combining stories that people believed and celebrations from other faiths all into one new faith.

Awesome topic to discuss in the context of conspiracy.

I am not associated with any religion, though I was raised Christian.  I questioned all that very very early and resisted it.  However I do have a profound connection with what might be called Spirit..... refer to David Icke for a relatively aligned viewpoint to how I experience this aspect of our existence.

Sadly, while I do feel religions are full of sincere followers, some of whom are also quite wise, I also have had to conclude that religion in general is one of the oldest conspiracies and has been basically hijacked by controlling forces for those purposes.

So I follow my own lights on this one.

I think of myself as more Pagan, but I don't always let it dictate my choices or life. I'm fond of the way it encourages us to treat others with respect and to be aware of nature and the world around us. However, I am not fond of the coven mentality. I rather learn by myself and follow what I feel is right while facing my own consequences. Covens tend to unnerve me since I've seen some that are all too much dramatics and clicky for my likes. Religion, I believe, is something that should be personal, but never forced on other people. It's not something that needs to be locked away in a closet, but it's certainly not something that needs to be shoved into people's mouths within the first five minutes of meeting you. I rather know the person before I know their religion.

I believe in questioning and following your own path. If you just follow blindly, you are literally heading into a troubled direction. Anything you say will most likely be repeated from another person without any kind of actual original thought. 

I am a Muslim. I believe there is a God and that there is only one God. And he is the God for everyone. He is the Creator of Everyone and Everything. And I believe in the Holy Qur'an. I believe it is a divine book. It is God's own words. One proof is that if it wasn't his book, and if it was written by humans, there would be errors in it. The Holy Qur'an revealed in Arabic has no errors in it.

Will they not ponder the Qur'an? If it had been from other than Allah, they would have found many inconsistencies in it. (Holy Qur'an- Surat an-Nisa': 82)

I have a hard time with religion because I haven't been able to truly come up with a definition of "god" that makes sense to me.

I don't believe there is an all knowing, all good, creator of the world. I don't believe in sinning, good/evil, heaven or hell. I don't think anything significant happens when you die. And I find that much more comforting than the idea of having to be good out of fear of going to hell.

Although, I would consider myself very much an atheist, I can't help but feel as though there is some greater purpose to life and consciousness. 

I was watching that TV show with the idiot teacher, I can't remember the name at the moment, but he was talking about religion. He pointed out that Jesus and his parents were Jewish and that Catholics got confused on that somewhere along the way.

If even the TV shows can poke fun at religion I wish everyone else would lighten up about it too. Where does the need to force others to believe come from anyway?

I'm in a bit of weird situation, I believe in a creator but doubt that God of the christian bible is how God really is. It's just the many contradictions in the bible that fuel my scepticism. That and the fact that I've seen that there is no greater tool for social control around the world than religion.

I have a hard time with religion because I haven't been able to truly come up with a definition of "god" that makes sense to me.

I don't believe there is an all knowing, all good, creator of the world. I don't believe in sinning, good/evil, heaven or hell. I don't think anything significant happens when you die. And I find that much more comforting than the idea of having to be good out of fear of going to hell.

Although, I would consider myself very much an atheist, I can't help but feel as though there is some greater purpose to life and consciousness. 

Hi, you stated that you don't believe in the concept of good and evil. Can you clarify it more? Don't you believe there is good and evil in this world?

Like for e.g. Murder, isn't that evil? Helping someone, isn't that good? 

I believe there is a God and that I am connected to Him through faith. If I did not believe, it would be an empty world, with nothing to give you hope as this is a cruel world.