What is your Religious Standpoint?

I was watching that TV show with the idiot teacher, I can't remember the name at the moment, but he was talking about religion. He pointed out that Jesus and his parents were Jewish and that Catholics got confused on that somewhere along the way.

If even the TV shows can poke fun at religion I wish everyone else would lighten up about it too. Where does the need to force others to believe come from anyway?

I don't get the idea of forcing others to believe. I was always taught to at least respect, but forcing someone to believe just seems so oppressive. My family is a mixture of religions but it doesn't dominate who we are.  You do make a good point about Jesus and his parents being Jewish. It's very sad when that sort of thing comes out and people are just floored by it all. Even thought it honestly should have been right in their faces. It's also why I shake my head when I hear people using that "Doves should be with doves" nonsense when trying to shame interracial marriage.  I have yet to find that part in the Bible as many of them try to claim. Especially since the Bible was written in a time and area where there was a diverse group of people. Mixed marriages happened often.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am curious to know what the general religious standpoint of this forum is. I personally am an Atheist  This is for many reasons, mostly because of the incredible amount of biblical contradictions in

The other thing Google will tell you, Dante, is that religion has been the cause of more deaths, torture and suffering than any other cause on the planet, bar none. Wars have been waged solely based o

I am a Muslim. I believe there is a God and that there is only one God. And he is the God for everyone. He is the Creator of Everyone and Everything. And I believe in the Holy Qur'an. I believe it is

I believe there is a God and that I am connected to Him through faith. If I did not believe, it would be an empty world, with nothing to give you hope as this is a cruel world.

I don't find it empty at all, but it does mean that I am ultimately and solely responsible for what happens to me.  There is no higher power who I can blame or beg, I imagine its quite liberating.

I wouldn't categoraize myself as anything and this has been a struggle for me for many years. My family is a mixure of Christians and Baptist; they have always wanted me to have a denomination and I personally don't feel the need to be labeled or attend church religiously on the sabbath. I know that I believe in God and I have a personal relationship with him. I believe in Heaven and that's all I need to believe it.

The one thing I love about my neighborhood is that it is quite a diversity in religious beliefs. Although I don't belong to any religious organization, I find I can still live peacefully and respectfully among those of various religions. My neighborhood is mainly Sikh, but on the main intersection there are four houses of worship. A Sikh Temple and a non denominational Christian church on one side, and a Muslim Mosque and another non denominational church on the other side. These four houses of worship do not conflict with each other and living here among my Sikh neighbors is peaceful. I eat at least one meal a day at the Sikh Temple and their culture is beautiful. It is only a choice few that give each religion a bad rap.

I was raised a Roman Catholic by my parents, and my mom was very religious and made us aware of what people call "the end times", and I never once doubted what she believes in and what our religion teaches, except for one thing. The Catholic Church does not teach us reincarnation, wherein based from my research it really does happen. Anyway, to sum it all up, I do believe that there is a God, because whenever I take a look around my environment and all the living things that are in it, I can't help but wonder where they came from and who made them, and I would just say that there is a Higher Power who has made all of these and He also made us too.

• 3 weeks later...

A lot of people become Atheists for their own various reasons, and that is completely okay. I truly believe that if their is a God, he would understand ones' decision or choice to not believe in Him. I am a biology major, and I agree it is difficult to believe in something when you are knowledgeable on science. So, I don't think He would hold our choices against His children if we haven't committed any sin that is far reconcilable. I may know a little bit about science but I believe in God. I don't know why, and it can't be explained. I surmise my parents had a little to do with it considering the fact that they raised my brothers and I to be Christians. I know that one has the right to change their minds once they get older but I wasn't one of those people. I kind of stuck with what I grew up with. 

I am an atheist. I think religion is bad for humans because it advances faith over reason and I think our ability to reason is man's primary mode of existence. I was raised around Christianity but was not forced to believe in it. I found many contradictions in the bible at an early age and never could understand the appeal of a deity or church, anyway, so I just didn't get it from the start, I suppose.

Every persons religion is theirs and theirs alone. If you believe theres a god then you are free to interpret your life by him/her as long as it doesn't impinge on mine. If somebodt tries to tell me how to live my life according to their religious belifes then my personal beliefs or my inner god will be what guides me in my response. If a god chooses to speak to me and finally enlighten me as to the good of religion then I shall let everybody know what they said. As of now, no god - as defined in world religions exisitng now - has done this.

I honestly do not bother with such things, I let people believe, I won't argue about it.
Every theory has it's flaw, there is no perfect religion that can make sense to everyone in the world, that would be extremely difficult.
I could say that I am an agnostic, if there is a god, alright then. If there is no god, alright then..
It's better just to live life respecting everyone around you so there is no weight on your conscience at the end of your life.

I am an Agnostic, which means that I believe that there is not enough evidence to support of deny the entity of any kind of a God. I, like the original poster, used to believe in God. I lost faith in a God for many of the same reasons that the original poster did as well. However, I'm not an Atheist because there are still too many things in this world that science has failed to explain (Supernatural phenomena). While these event may not be the work of a God, they do prove that there is an entity out there that is more powerful than us, which keeps me an Agnostic versus being an Atheist.

I'm an agnostic atheist. A lot of people are inclined to say that you can't be both, but that's wrong. Being an agnostic atheist means that I don't believe in one or many gods but I also think that it's not possible to know whether there is one, severel or no gods. In my opinion this is the most logical religious standpoint. There is no religion I know about that offers convincing evidence for a celestial being, but if someone would show me convincing evidence - and I don't mean a toast with a silhouette of Jesus - I would become a believer. But I actually don't think there's a way to prove or disprove the existence of god.

I consider myself an atheist as well, but I'm certainly open to new ideas and information. As to the question of God and Existence, personally I'm much more awestruck by the notion that beings of such incredible complexity can arise from the process of evolution throughout billions of years.The fact that all life is the product of a series of tiny chemical reactions that just happened to occur in the right order at the right time leading to self-reproducing life forms is way more impressive to me than a magic being that simply wills things into existence.

I don't personally believe in god or have a religion, when I was a child I was taken to church but was never baptized, my husband was christian while he was growing up but these days isn't an "active" member of his church

We have Two kids neither are baptized as I don't believe in it and I wont force anything on them, if they grow up and decide that they do believe in god I will respect their beliefs just as do for anyone else that believes there is a god, I just don't think religion should be forced upon us or used as a tool for violence  

I am a Muslim and my religion is Islam. I believe in the creator of the creations who doesn't resemble the creation in any way whatsoever. It took me until i was 17 to get to this conclusion as i was not born Muslim. I went through a really confusing time until i was 17 because I had family members of different branches of Christianity from Baptist to Jehovah witnesses and all deemed it right but i was always left confused. I went on a small journey of reading upon all religions and standpoints. When i found Islam i had no doubts. or hesitations, but was very pleased with the truth. ;)

• 3 weeks later...
I am a Muslim. I believe there is a God and that there is only one God. And he is the God for everyone. He is the Creator of Everyone and Everything. And I believe in the Holy Qur'an. I believe it is a divine book. It is God's own words. One proof is that if it wasn't his book, and if it was written by humans, there would be errors in it. The Holy Qur'an revealed in Arabic has no errors in it.

Will they not ponder the Qur'an? If it had been from other than Allah, they would have found many inconsistencies in it. (Holy Qur'an- Surat an-Nisa': 82)

There is a Quranic saying about religion "El din a Muamela" (Religion is how you treat others) I live by this, and I also am a muslim

So here's my two cents on this.

I'll begin by saying that I'm agnostic, I don't claim to know anything about anything concerning a higher power or lack thereof.  However, I do believe that the organized religions we have today (which are all pretty much related in some way or another, as Trinity pointed out briefly in an earlier post), are part of a watered-down half-truth that only the elites know in full and/or harness.  I don't necessarily think that science and religion are exclusive to one-another, it seems more likely to me that they are parts of the same whole which is purposely being diluted in order to create confusion, suppression, bigotry, etc.

That said, I think any way you choose to live is the way you should live, but all actions have a consequence, be it favorable or not.

That said, I think any way you choose to live is the way you should live, but all actions have a consequence, be it favorable or not.

Indeed. Just wanted to give a decisive nod to that statement before I add my own.

I believe in God, as well as Jesus, though I will say I struggle with a lot of things regarding this and my head swims with various doubts. I'd say I lean towards a Christian belief, however I must point out that I see a big difference between God and religion. They're far from the same thing in my view, which is that religion and certain ideas of 'god' are certainly man-made. I think there's definite truth to the matter of religion as a tool of control, what was it Karl Marx said? 'Religion is the opium of the people.' On the other hand, there's something to be said of 'control' in regards to regimes that have adopted the Marxist ideal, too.

Guest luifranc

I would say that I don't have a specific religion but I do believe in God. I operate more on love than in fear of the supreme being that's gonna smite me anytime I do something normal as a human being. I realized these things that it's better off without religion but still have faith when I started meditating.

So here's my two cents on this.

I'll begin by saying that I'm agnostic, I don't claim to know anything about anything concerning a higher power or lack thereof.  However, I do believe that the organized religions we have today (which are all pretty much related in some way or another, as Trinity pointed out briefly in an earlier post), are part of a watered-down half-truth that only the elites know in full and/or harness.  I don't necessarily think that science and religion are exclusive to one-another, it seems more likely to me that they are parts of the same whole which is purposely being diluted in order to create confusion, suppression, bigotry, etc.

Listen Beast, you heart will tell you what your beliefs are going to be. This is why Islam has no missionaries nor priests.

• 2 weeks later...

Since I was a kid I've always said I didn't believe in God, but I didn't know the name for it...

I grew up and I told my parents that I didn't know why they did baptized me...

Consider myself as a Agnostic Atheist.

I will not believe in God till I see proofs of his existence.

The most common bond that all religions share is that they are divisive, destructive, have led to stress, strife, war, and human suffering, for the past 2000 plus years. Sure, you can harbor the pipe dream of, all religions respecting one another and coming together," but we all know that will NEVER happen. The only chance humanity has to come together is to do away with religion altogether and start with the Roman Catholic Church and the Vatican. This won't happen either, because this organization of RUTHLESS men has a net worth in the trillions.

http://youtu.be/gPOfurmrjxo

• 2 weeks later...

I am a christian, not like most other ones though. My belief system goes like this, love others, and be a good person, and everything else will fall in place. I have gay friends, I smoke weed, I don't have an issue with swearing, I just try to be a good person to other people. I do pray, and I do go to church, but not nearly as strict as other christians.

I'm a Secularist, which is just a nice way of saying Atheist. I do however follow the philosophy of the Dao. if you haven't heard of Daoism, it's more of a philosophy than a religion. It's largely open to interpretation of the individual, but stresses the underlying unity of all things that exist. The Dao could be visualized as the universe before the big bang, when it was 'infinitely' small and dense. It then exploded, and well, we know what happened from there: hydrogen leads to stars leads to elements leads to compounds, leads to auto-catalysts, leads to life. It's more of a synonym for the universe, but also a way of looking at the individual and seeing it as whole. If you want to read more into it, i'd  check out the 'Tao te Ching' by Lao tzu.

It is much harder to believe any religion when facts are right in front of you. 

I agree, what's odd is that those who are deeply entrenched with religion and have been conditioned since birth, cannot, and will not see the "forest for the trees." No matter how many proven, scientific, geological, biological, and cosmological facts you suggest they research, they won't do so. Most devout theist will take their beliefs and attitudes regarding religion to their graves.

I believe there is a Divine Intelligence that governs this universe, and we are more of a part of that than we think. I do not believe in the deity that is described in the Bible, Qur'an, or any other "holy book." But I do not identify with Atheism because I think that label defeats your cause, as most labels do.

"Dante848" you mentioned, "as I got older and began to take an interest in science," that says it all. That tells me that you study, that you do research, and because of your findings, the entity written about in the Bible, makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. The biblical deity, along with his "son," is a combination of impossible elements.

You get this, you understand this, but you're selling yourself short by calling yourself an Atheist because, the knowledge that you're acquiring, the only people that will listen to you are other Atheist, or people like myself, who do not subscribe to any labels, people with open and objective minds.