What is your Religious Standpoint?

I'm an Atheist, I believe the universe was created by chance. And all there is is matter and energy. That's it, believing in god is, to my eyes, just like believing in Santa Claus. I really wished I was wrong, and that there actually was a heaven after we die, and that a god is taking care of us. But proof keeps showing otherwise.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am curious to know what the general religious standpoint of this forum is. I personally am an Atheist  This is for many reasons, mostly because of the incredible amount of biblical contradictions in

The other thing Google will tell you, Dante, is that religion has been the cause of more deaths, torture and suffering than any other cause on the planet, bar none. Wars have been waged solely based o

I am a Muslim. I believe there is a God and that there is only one God. And he is the God for everyone. He is the Creator of Everyone and Everything. And I believe in the Holy Qur'an. I believe it is

I'm Buddhist so while I do believe in reincarnation and the karmic balance, I was not taught to pray to God. There are monotheistic and polytheistic religions and Buddhism seems to be the odd one out as the teachings are less focused on prayer and more on human actions, to do good deeds, to help others, charity and self-reflection through meditation.

There Buddhists in countries like Thailand who perform prayers and rituals to pre-Buddhist gods and spirits to bring good fortune, but in general, Buddhism frowns on worship. Buddhists are taught that the world exists in continuously changing cycles, much like the karmic cycle of birth, death and rebirth. 

This is my religious standing. I guess I am also fascinated by certain religions like Wicca and Rosicrucianism, but my core precepts are based on Buddhism.

I personally don't believe in any of the manmade religions. There are many reasons why and I'll try to explain a few.

For one, there are hundreds of regions with their own religion and they all believe there's is the true religion and everyone else is wrong. This is a typical human thought process - They must be wrong because they don't agree with what I think - a little underlying narcocism is all of us :) This reason alone isn't very solid so I have others...

Secondly, if there was a concious/thinking creator that wanted us to believe in him/her/it then they would most likely make their presence known. Some religions try to claim that by not making his/her/it's presence known is merely a test of faith. I say that's a great excuse to make their religion relatively logical...relatively.

Another aspect that throws me off is the complexity of physics and the make up of all things. What purpose would there be to make life in a form that has so many different factors contributing to it's existence such as organs, cells, minerals/vitamins/etc, that terrible abnormalities and diseases are more likely than not in the lifespan of the majority of organisms. Just a wierd thing I think about...

4th: All religions are based on "belief" and I attempt to remain logical in my decision making when possible. There's no solid evidence or logical reasoning behind religions, merely "well this is how it is" kind of attitude with nothing to support it. Why? Because your parents and family and community told you it's that way? Use your own thoughts, thanks.

I feel like dedicating my life to a religious cause only to die and have it not be true would be a waste of a life. I'd rather take the gamble that I live with my own morale beliefs and use my own judgement, and if I have to go to the "bad" version of an afterlife, or "hell", then the GOD merely set me up to fail because I was created this way to think the way I do. If that's the case, then I don't want to worship a cruel "creator" that created disease, an unforgivingly dangerous universe and planet for us to live in/on, etc.

Mostly rambling but that's my 2 cents.

Eclectic Pantheist here.  Nothing much to say about it, but the usual "Nature is my church" kinda of thing.  Basically, for us I really do not even think it is a religion.  You pay attention to the energy fields, solar flares, etc.  Things of nature.  I mean, for us it's more of a study of physics than anything else.  When you donate, there is no one ministry, it is basically giving to a beggar on the street or to your favorite charity. 

The idea of control or hierarchy is a wicked thing to us.  Manipulation is what you might call a sin.  Destruction and misuse of the planet, etc.  same ole same ole you usually here.  But it suits. me.  For me, I do feel energy,  Buddhism is respected, paganism as well.  We assist people in becoming what they feel they are to be. There is more, but I think you get the point. 

I always question my own beliefs.  I think you have to be a skeptic, even of yourself.  I really believe that religion was started by some cromag man on a rock that was bored, and realized that if he got people to bow to a stick in Sh*t, he could eventually control the entire tribe.

I really think, sometimes, all the beliefs we hold dear, are nothing more than the result of a clever cave dude who wanted power.

I consider myself to be highly complex matter. The matter that makes up me came from the same place that all other matter came from (the big bang). This source is nameless, but we can  refer to it as the Dao. Thus, I am the Dao. So are you, and so is my lap top, and so is the sun, and everything in the universe. We really are all one.

Agnostic Atheist and Skeptic. I don't believe in any religions or supernatural in general. Probably leaning towards pantheism a bit, as I do deem, as Dawkins, it to be "sexed up atheism". Used to be a theist for a long time, although not a strictly religious one. Eventually lost my faith through lots of reading and when I got into science. 

I agree, what's odd is that those who are deeply entrenched with religion and have been conditioned since birth, cannot, and will not see the "forest for the trees." No matter how many proven, scientific, geological, biological, and cosmological facts you suggest they research, they won't do so. Most devout theist will take their beliefs and attitudes regarding religion to their graves.

I believe there is a Divine Intelligence that governs this universe, and we are more of a part of that than we think. I do not believe in the deity that is described in the Bible, Qur'an, or any other "holy book." But I do not identify with Atheism because I think that label defeats your cause, as most labels do.

"Dante848" you mentioned, "as I got older and began to take an interest in science," that says it all. That tells me that you study, that you do research, and because of your findings, the entity written about in the Bible, makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. The biblical deity, along with his "son," is a combination of impossible elements.

You get this, you understand this, but you're selling yourself short by calling yourself an Atheist because, the knowledge that you're acquiring, the only people that will listen to you are other Atheist, or people like myself, who do not subscribe to any labels, people with open and objective minds. 

Wow, that was something to think about. Maybe you're right. Now that I think of it, atheism is defeating it's own purpose. I'm going to have to think on this one. Thank you.

Atheism defeating its own purpose? I didn't realize that atheism has its own purpose in the first place. I mean, is it the aim of an atheist to make sure that everyone becomes an atheist? So that everybody can be free to live as they wish without worrying about God or heaven or hell. Is that the purpose of atheism? To free everybody? Please tell me.

I am a Christian, I believe in the Bible, not because of blind faith, but because of experience and evidence. I defend the Bible and various doctrines and theologies therein.  I do not necessarily attend a church, although I have spoken in them. I currently have a love hate relationship with the corporate model of the Church as I do not beleive it was the intent of the disciples to start treating the church similar to a business. Plus the words of Christ indicate an upside down pyramid model when it comes to leadership versus the right side up pyramid model of a business.

And no, Jesus was not copied from Egyptian Sun Gods, Mithras, or any of them. This argument is a failure to properly investigate mythology, Christian history, it's texts, theologies, etc. I have seen Zeitgeist and it's full of holes, misquotes, misunderstandings and quite frankly it is shaping up a community of truthseekers to believe the same lie the NWO wants you to believe.