LadyBast

The Antikythera Mechanism AKA "world's first computer"

Rate this topic

I saw this on a documentary a few months ago - I think it was on Channel 4? It is part of a mechanism that was found nearly 100 years ago by sponge divers off the coast of Antikythera, and it is one of the most fascinating and complex things many experts have ever seen.

It was used to calculate the precise movements of our solar system's planets, and worked with gears like a clock - but before clock mechanisms were even invented. It dates from about 100BC.

http://www.antikythera-mechanism.gr/

I remember watching the Ancient Aliens show and they were discussing an ancient batter they found. Our ancient civilizations were much more advanced then we think they were. How were those pyramids built. We have to go to great lengths just to build our modern day buildings. What our ancient ancestors did is simply amazing.

I saw a show about this device on BBC 4 called 'The Two Thousand Year Old Computer', the title alone caught my attention. The actual show was pretty good, it's a fascinating little device.

Yes I saw that originally and was impressed byt the whole thing. What amazes me though, is if there really was ancient technology then why have we not found more of it?

This do-dad is about it for complex small machines from that far back in time.