LadyBast

Paganism/Wicca/Satanism... the "scary" religions

Rate this topic

So, I'm not religious at all. I respect people who are, as long as they don't try to force their beliefs upon others, and will openly discuss and debate religions like a sensible grown-up.

However, I've noticed that a lot of people seem to be "scared" by certain religions - such as Paganism. It's like some people have this belief that if you worship or respect nature, you're going to start sacrificing children? The same with Satanism - they assume that because "Satan" is in there, it must all be "evil", "black magic" and all that nonsense. Which is not the case at all!

Anyone ever seen some of the ridiculous prejudice as far as this kind of thing goes?

This is a classic case of people being scared of what they don't understand. The average person (American, at least) doesn't actually research religions, they go with what society has preached. In standard cases, this is terrible. Evil satan-worshippers and murders. It's beyond me why people actually believe this stuff.

I just wish people would research things before they start tearing them apart or being scared of them, but it probably won't happen.

Most people are ignorant about religion like this. For example, I bet a hardcore Christian would label a paganism as a scary religion  even though 90% of the Christian believes are similar to pagans, and the pagan religion came before Christianity. But the widely believed solution do that, is that the devil had the foresight to come before Christianity and put those similar religions in to throw you off. Religion is ridiculous. But what is even more ridiculous is people who don't do their homework on something they believe so strongly in. 

It sometimes seems ironic to me that the average christian can seem so closed-minded. There's one god and he created the heavens and earth. The end. Their beliefs won't allow them to think further. I guess that may be a generalization but I've talked to many Christians and I've heard their thoughts on the possibilities of evolution and other religions, including paganism. 

I think paganism is one of the scarier religions to the church because no physical church or building is required. A pagan can worship the spirits of nature from an alter in a forest or even in their own home.

Hold up Dagscot, people have a right to be closed minded if they wish but that's not something you have to be under Christian beliefs. In fact the ONLY religion that preaches one god, and even says that any non-believers should die, is Islam. To be a Muslim you need to practice the five pillars and believe in six things and #1 is to believe that there is only Alah and that he is all encompassing and that any other god is a false god.

So, care to try again and pick on one religion?

Paganism is easy to fear if you don't understand it but why not read up on asatru before passing judgment?

Hold up Dagscot, people have a right to be closed minded if they wish but that's not something you have to be under Christian beliefs. In fact the ONLY religion that preaches one god, and even says that any non-believers should die, is Islam. To be a Muslim you need to practice the five pillars and believe in six things and #1 is to believe that there is only Alah and that he is all encompassing and that any other god is a false god.

So, care to try again and pick on one religion?

Paganism is easy to fear if you don't understand it but why not read up on asatru before passing judgment?

Actually, you just have to be "a believer". It doesn't necessarily matter which faith you practice, so long as you believe in "one God"...it's us Atheists who are screwed according to the Qur'an, and also the Bible too.

I think it's only the extremists who have an issue with people followjng a different religion than their own - and you get them in every religion, unfortunately.

It is the assumptions that irritate me. Even though I'm more Atheist than anything, I pride myself on the fact that I have taken the time to learn about all different religions. If there's something I don't know, I'll look it up! I'm not the best at remembering things, so I have to look things up often, but I'd rather do that, or ask questions, than risk coming across as completely ignorant.

Ah well then, I'm screwed. I want no part in religion and I pass no judgment on those who do want to believe but that apparently doesn't stop them from wanting me gone. I wonder what makes me such a threat, the fact that I am a free thinker?

I think it is just fear of the unknown. People are comfortable in their own religions and beliefs. They listen to bad things that are placed upon other peoples beliefs and  judge them for that. They don't understand, and most don't care to. I think they are afraid they may just learn that what they have always been taught and believed in was not quite as accurate as they thought. I am not a religious person and do not care what anyone practices or believes. 

I think that if you believe that Satan is good, and use him as an icon in your religion, then it's 'creepy', and it's evil. 

Some Satanists use the excuse that Lucifer fell from heaven because God wanted him to love people more than he loved him, and he couldn't do that, so he rebelled. They use that to suggest he's good. But what about hell? What about how he tortures people? He may have started with good intentions, but look what he's twisted it into. 

I don't think Paganism is that bad; I don't know what it actually is, really, and how much of Satan or whoever it involves. I knew one Pagan girl who was apparently training to be a witch, but she was really good. She did know about voodoo, though. 

Anything that inflicts pain on others is bad. I'mma stick with the 'good' religions. Every religion has a 'bad' side. Some people say God is evil. That's why I believe in God, but not the way he's portrayed in the Bible. I just believe there's a Good out there, something divine, and that's God. 

With satanism society paints an image of them being psychopathic. They are seen as evil and just with any other thing in society once it's not the normal way then it's weird and weird eventually leads to creepy which is in turn scary. People are afraid of what they don't know. Satanists don't worship in public and so just like hell and heaven most people judge and assume and draw conclusions based on what they have heard.

I believe one reason some religions are scared of other religions can be found in the conspiracy viewpoint.  In other words, those who seek to control humanity know well that dividing us from one another at the place of our spiritual allegiance is a real good way to keep us fighting each other instead of making common cause to heal our world and create good in it.

I remember when I first told my mom, years ago, that I thought I might be a pagan, and how she almost instinctively recoiled.  We then discussed it and it was okay (my mom was a real trooper in her later years and put up with all my questioning and experiments!)  She acknowledged to me that the reason she recoiled so was because of how she had been trained in her Christian upbringing to fear "heathenism".

I can't any longer identify myself as a Pagan, but that conversation with my mom was sure instructive to me.

I think people are scared off by religion sometimes because others share it too much. When you get a haircut you don't want to be asked if you've been following the lord's word ya know? The stylist may mean well but it's none of their business and it's not entirely comfortable to talk about, especially if you don't believe.

It's against the law for any company to even ask, much less descriminate, so take a hint from that and stop talking to people about it outside your place of warship or with friends who you know enjoy it.

Definitely a taste of people fearing what they don't understand. Much like Satanists, Pagans tend to find themselves lumped into the media-induced image of someone drinking blood and sacrificing virgins upon an altar. The only people I've met that have that much disregard to human life, would have to be either psychopaths who truly do not value human life or the ancient Christians that would burn or impale someone that didn't follow their beliefs. Now a days, religion is something that can be openly discussed if held in a respectful way. I actually met someone that considered themselves a Satanist, but the way it was explained, he did not worship a being of evil, but a figure that represents someone that chose to live freely without fear of being punished for being human. Is this completely true for all Satanists? I don't know. The way it was explained to me painted a picture of a religion that would rather worship what it means to be human for the good and the bad, but not one that sought harm to others. I just believe that people fear what they don't understand. Even I'm uncomfortable with it, but as I come to try to learn more I'm able to realize that I've made assumptions just as people have made assumptions of me. 

It's funny that I came across this topic. Just the other day I was sitting around and for some reason or another Satanism popped into my head and I realized I knew NOTHING about it. So naturally I googled it and started to do some research and it was actually quite interesting.

Basically, from my understanding of it, it isn't so much a religion as much as a philosophy based off of atheism  They are different than Satan worshippers in that they don't actually worship satan and acknowledge the fact that if there is no god, there is no satan or any other mythological beings. They use Satan as a symbol more than anything. It basically says you should be allowed to indulge in things, and do the things that you like as long as you aren't bothering anybody. It also sort of preaches "an eye for an eye" kind of thing, which I found interesting.

It just has a "scary" name. I started telling my friends that I was reading up on Satanism, and my god if you could see their faces.

It just has a "scary" name. I started telling my friends that I was reading up on Satanism, and my god if you could see their faces.

I can imagine! I have to admit, I made assumptions on it before but the more I try to research and learn, the more I start to realize how wrong I was. Not all religions are as movies or groups of people paint them. It's amazing what you can learn with a little research! 

The only scary religion, I will pick, is the Westboro Baptist Church. Now that is a cult in all the wrong ways.

I can imagine! I have to admit, I made assumptions on it before but the more I try to research and learn, the more I start to realize how wrong I was. Not all religions are as movies or groups of people paint them. It's amazing what you can learn with a little research! 

The only scary religion, I will pick, is the Westboro Baptist Church. Now that is a cult in all the wrong ways.

Yeah, that isn't even a religion. That is just pure hatred. 

Interesting point, there is negative conotations attached to some religions and pear fear them because they are uninformed. However SATANISM is pretty clear, you think satanists get unfair bad connotations? You must be joking, you don't have to be a christian to know to stay away from satanism, who do you think satanists worship? A peaceful god? Maybe you could have found a better example lol.

Interesting point, there is negative conotations attached to some religions and pear fear them because they are uninformed. However SATANISM is pretty clear, you think satanists get unfair bad connotations? You must be joking, you don't have to be a christian to know to stay away from satanism, who do you think satanists worship? A peaceful god? Maybe you could have found a better example lol.

You actually have to have some Christian ideals to view Satan as some form of the worse evil there is. In Jewish literature, he's actually not even considered the main enemy of God, but rather as a nuisance. I think this is a perfect example to discuss because we could pick apart the different Gods that have been named "Satan" by the Catholic Church. Such as Pan, Athena, Odin, and a few others. Ba'al is even used as another name for Satan in some works, but Ba'al was also the name of a god of rain, a god of fertility, a god of thunder, and even a lord of heaven. 

Then of course, I found that there's two separate forms of Satanism ( and probably more I haven't found ). One side views Satan as a god, while others simply view him as an atheistic, agnostic symbol. Then of course you got branches that worship Lucifer as the shining one and refer to him as the good side of Satan. Once again, there is a lot of information out there and that's just from a few minutes of reading. I'm not saying you have to say it's a good religion. I mean, good is an opinion statement but learning a little bit never hurts. Especially before condemning or assuming.  If you're going by peaceful God, we should take into account the views of some worshiping Gods and we would probably have a short list of peaceful God. For example, the Christian God killed a lot of people in the Bible for various reasons. To me, that's not the definition of peaceful. Once again, that's an opinion statement.

That's just my views and I would hope that someone who actually is a Satanist would post. They might be able to fill in the blanks or correct me where I'm wrong. I'm not perfect because really I don't know much. I just know bits and pieces of my religion and what bits of reading I have done. 

I'm sure there could probably be someone on this board that could argue that Satan is a conspiracy created by the Church to condemn some other religions' gods or means of practice.

Like I had already said, the thing about Satanism is they don't worship anything. They don't worship god nor satan. It is a branch of Atheism. If anything they view Satan as a symbol, not something they literally think exists.

And the symbol isn't for hatred, or war, it's more so about giving in and indulging in the things in life you want to indulge in. Their version of a "cardinal sin" is stupidity, and I think there is something very important to that. Especially when compared to the cardinal sin of christians which is "thou shalt not worship other gods besides me".

And as far as "peaceful gods" go, as far as I'm concerned there are no peaceful gods. Have you ever read the old testament? 

Like I had already said, the thing about Satanism is they don't worship anything. They don't worship god nor satan. It is a branch of Atheism. If anything they view Satan as a symbol, not something they literally think exists.

And the symbol isn't for hatred, or war, it's more so about giving in and indulging in the things in life you want to indulge in. Their version of a "cardinal sin" is stupidity, and I think there is something very important to that. Especially when compared to the cardinal sin of christians which is "thou shalt not worship other gods besides me".

And as far as "peaceful gods" go, as far as I'm concerned there are no peaceful gods. Have you ever read the old testament? 

Hmm..then why call it Satanism? Why not name it after, maybe, Dionysus, the greek god of indulgence. I mean its not practical if "Satanism" is only a name and labels are important.

Hmm..then why call it Satanism? Why not name it after, maybe, Dionysus, the greek god of indulgence. I mean its not practical if "Satanism" is only a name and labels are important.

It's not a religion, it's a philosophy. The point is that labels aren't important. They aren't looking to be liked or to get people to follow them. It's just a set of their own beliefs.

The reason why it isn't Dionysus and they chose Satanism is because what they believe goes against what Catholicism teaches. It's also much more than just indulgence. It's going with your human nature, doing what you think is right or appropriate because it's what you actually believe and not what you were taught to believe was right.

If you're still confused by this concept I'd suggest doing a little research. The Church of Satan has a really great and easy to navagate website. It doesn't necessarily make you a Satanist, it's just quite interesting.

5amMarks, you really beat me to it!

It's more of a stance of being anti-Christian since Christianity tends to also be such a dominate religion, I suspect. Satan also tends to represent things that are actually kind of natural to the human mind. Y'know, anger, jealousy, greed, lust, sex, and etc. It's all natural emotions that happen to us and takes us learning to control it. Christianity says are sinful and people should repent for it, but it's actually natural to us. Is it all good? No, but it does exists within us.

And Dionysus is the Greek God of indulgence, but are we really indulging ourselves when we're being human and doing things that naturally come with our emotions or bodies? Don't get me wrong, I don't think Satanist would go out and promote people to murder, rape, or plunder. But I think they would tell people to not feel guilty for when they feel envious of another or if they have lusted for someone. It's natural to feel envy or green or lust for someone.

To be honest, I never thought I'd actually be defending Satanism. I mean, before I was like some of the posters that assumed one thing over another. I had no idea that Satan was used as a symbol for Atheism. I feel like I really learned something. 

I agree with this. I consider the Westboro Baptist Church a religion in themselves--what they're for is not Christianity, and they function as a cult. As for religions that are quote unquote scary are just misunderstood. Very few people worship the devil and try to call upon him to eat the souls of aborted babies and wage a full out war against humanity, but that's what a lot of people think of when they think of these religions.

5amMarks, you really beat me to it!

It's more of a stance of being anti-Christian since Christianity tends to also be such a dominate religion, I suspect. Satan also tends to represent things that are actually kind of natural to the human mind. Y'know, anger, jealousy, greed, lust, sex, and etc. It's all natural emotions that happen to us and takes us learning to control it. Christianity says are sinful and people should repent for it, but it's actually natural to us. Is it all good? No, but it does exists within us.

And Dionysus is the Greek God of indulgence, but are we really indulging ourselves when we're being human and doing things that naturally come with our emotions or bodies? Don't get me wrong, I don't think Satanist would go out and promote people to murder, rape, or plunder. But I think they would tell people to not feel guilty for when they feel envious of another or if they have lusted for someone. It's natural to feel envy or green or lust for someone.

To be honest, I never thought I'd actually be defending Satanism. I mean, before I was like some of the posters that assumed one thing over another. I had no idea that Satan was used as a symbol for Atheism. I feel like I really learned something. 

Just goes to show ya, don't judge a book by it's cover. And in this case don't just someones beliefs because it "sounds scary".

It's their right to believe what they want too, it's nobody's place to say they can't.

We all live for a relative short amount of time before we die, and die we all will, so some choose to enjoy it how they see fit.

I don't condone violence at all but many are not violent, they just don't care about following rules set out by others and so will never believe in other religions.