There's a theory, that at some point during human history, earth was visited by "aliens", who intervened at certain points, and helped us out a little bit as far as technology, and general advancement goes.

A History Channel documentary was covering the topic, and I've been watching the episodes online. Very interesting stuff - especially when you listen to some of the old accounts of people coming down in various "flying machines".

This is the first episode - think they go up to season six!?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIOpEFvmal8

I love this show! I always watch it when it shows on the history channel! It could be true, who knows! We are still looking for the missing link and scientists are still unsure of how human beings evolved to such intellectual beings that quickly. Always keep an open mind and anything will be possible. If this is true, then this will change history and how we view ourselves forever. I truly believe that we are not alone in this universe. The possibilty of life is enormous and we would be arrogant to think we are the only ones out there. We have already found water and many exoplanets that are similar to Earth in some aspects. I feel that the human race doesn't have a problem with finding life outside our planet, but our true angst is finding life that is more evolved and more sophisticated then ours. If we was to encounter a alien race, or many alien races that were far more intelligent that us, than we would feel insecure. As of right now were the intellectual kings of our known universe, but what if there was someone better. I think that is a deep unconscious fear we have, at least in my opinion.

The history channel does like to stretch things far. But still, this would explain a lot of things like Stonehenge and the pyramids. I have an excellent book on the mysteries of the world, and it has a section on ancient aliens with a ton of facts about them as well as speculations. It was a good read. 

Science doesn't support the theory of Aliens, evolution traces us back to the begining and at no point does it suggest a missing step. If earth was visited by aliens they did not impact the evolutionary scale at all. Personally I think that any technology, sufficiently advanced, will seem like alien technology.

I've seen so many convincing documentaries and books on this subject. Erich Von Daniken wrote Chariot of the Gods, which is full of evidence and photographs of sculptures and carvings of men wearing space helmets and suits. Arthur C. Clarke also did several series that tried to explain the possibility of visits from alien races, intervening at critical periods.

There is a web series on this called Ancient Aliens Debunked:

http://ancientaliensdebunked.com/

Ironically I actually found it more interesting than the Ancient Aliens show itself - you would think "History Channel" should be making something like *this* instead of the Ancient Aliens show itself. Long story short, much of this is misinterpretations of symbolism in ancient art, along with some flat out misinformation and fabrications for the show itself and from some of its "experts".  The supposed UFO crafts in certain paintings are actually just depictions of the Sun and the Moon. That was a common theme during certain period of art, where both the sun and the moon would be depicted in the picture and personified as human like figures. 

There is a web series on this called Ancient Aliens Debunked:

http://ancientaliensdebunked.com/

Ironically I actually found it more interesting than the Ancient Aliens show itself - you would think "History Channel" should be making something like *this* instead of the Ancient Aliens show itself. Long story short, much of this is misinterpretations of symbolism in ancient art, along with some flat out misinformation and fabrications for the show itself and from some of its "experts".  The supposed UFO crafts in certain paintings are actually just depictions of the Sun and the Moon. That was a common theme during certain period of art, where both the sun and the moon would be depicted in the picture and personified as human like figures. 

If they are just depictions of the sun & moon, then how do you explain the pictures where the sun & moon are already depicted, and yet there are still random objects in the sky? Or where some of the depictions from ancient India - for example - have their deities arriving in flying things?

Yes, it's open to interpretation - but saying one interpretation is wrong for the sake of another is a bit daft IMO - we'll never know the actual answers. Most of what we already "know" about history is all interpretations & guesswork, because we just don't KNOW, because we are relying on the depictions & writings of people hundreds & thousands of years ago.

Whilst I'm aware that some of the areas on the show are a bit "wacky", some you just cannot ignore because it is FACT. For example, it is a FACT that multiple ancient civilisations around the world, who had no way of contacting each other, all started to build amazingly intricate & architecturally futuristic buildings and monuments at the same time - many of which were specifically dedicated to the "gods" who they believed came from the stars.

Whilst I'm on the subject of coincidences - the symbol used in many depictions of where the "star gods" came from, is actually a symbol which is used in the Electric Universe theory.  http://www.youtube.com/user/ThunderboltsProject/videos?view=0

Interesting premise. I'm not sure if I believe it though. We humans are pretty darn creative and resourceful. We don't need no alien intervention! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, anything is possible. Some people even believe that aliens had a hand in our genetic developement. I don't believe that either. There's no scientific data to back that up.

I do believe that aliens have visited and are currently visiting Earth, like they come and go as they please, but I kind of disagree that aliens were like "Gods" in the ancient times, like what the documentary has said. If they were Gods, then their existence should be fully known and proven by now.

If they are just depictions of the sun & moon, then how do you explain the pictures where the sun & moon are already depicted, and yet there are still random objects in the sky? Or where some of the depictions from ancient India - for example - have their deities arriving in flying things?

Yes, it's open to interpretation - but saying one interpretation is wrong for the sake of another is a bit daft IMO - we'll never know the actual answers. Most of what we already "know" about history is all interpretations & guesswork, because we just don't KNOW, because we are relying on the depictions & writings of people hundreds & thousands of years ago.

Whilst I'm aware that some of the areas on the show are a bit "wacky", some you just cannot ignore because it is FACT. For example, it is a FACT that multiple ancient civilisations around the world, who had no way of contacting each other, all started to build amazingly intricate & architecturally futuristic buildings and monuments at the same time - many of which were specifically dedicated to the "gods" who they believed came from the stars.

Whilst I'm on the subject of coincidences - the symbol used in many depictions of where the "star gods" came from, is actually a symbol which is used in the Electric Universe theory.  http://www.youtube.com/user/ThunderboltsProject/videos?view=0

Did you watch the video series in the link? They actually go into great detail explaining how the ancient structures were actually built - without any need for extra terrestrial assistance. The personifications of the sun and the moon that often get mistaken for alien craft are actually closely tied to depictions of scenes within the bible. They're certainly convincing as UFO craft if you are not aware of their historical context and symbolism, but once you hear from art historians what these actually are, it starts to make a lot more sense.

I believe that show Ancient Aliens is made for entertainment, rather than educational purposes. There is fact mixed into the entertainment of course.

The best way to think about the Ancient Alien Theory- Ancient civilisations from all the continents including Africa, Asia, North+South America have all depicted and wrote about 'sky beings' in some form or another, there's no smoke without fire. You can't put it all down to word of mouth because the continents are miles and miles apart. You can also rule out hallucination, how can all of them experience similar delusions?

There's some truth to this theory for sure, I just don't like how the show Ancient Aliens must try to explain all puzzles from Ancient times with "The aliens did it". There's even an episode of Ancient Aliens called 'Aliens and the Third Reich', discovery need to be told when they go too far.

Science doesn't support the theory of Aliens, evolution traces us back to the begining and at no point does it suggest a missing step. If earth was visited by aliens they did not impact the evolutionary scale at all. Personally I think that any technology, sufficiently advanced, will seem like alien technology.

No, no it doesn't. 50,000 years ago there is a genetic gap that doesn't explain how suddenly Homo Sapien Sapiens erupted onto the scene fully formed and vastly different from their predecessor. Not saying aliens there.

It's my personal belief that it's more Ancient Humans than Ancient Aliens, but I'm firm in my belief that at some point there has been contact. History and artifacts are replete with evidence of it. I think that humanity as we know it has risen as fallen innumerable times in the past, may have been more advanced as we are, and may have been doing their own genetic experiments on themselves. It's possible that the 'aliens' the theorists refer to are a type of human that found a way to transcend normal humanity by proloning life and ability. Who knows?

I think Stephen Hawking pretty well defeated time travel for humans, not because it's not mathematically possible, but that the tear entities that do it are so shortlived because of some form of interference that it would be impossible for people to actually go back in time. Forwards is different, of course. An interesting idea, would be that what if people left this planet a hundred thousand years ago, evolved separately, and are now coming back. No more likely, but still, I'm in an imaginitive mood.

So I really believe that if aliens are visiting earth, it's more because they've figured out how to stabilize a wormhole. Once that's possible, it's theoretically possible to go back and forth between two spots. Currently, I think that even if we could get into a wormhole, that there'd be a slim chance in never of ever being able to get back.

It's an interesting topic, without a doubt. These seemingly unexplained ancient phenomena (building of the pyramids, flying machines, etc) all tend to make sense with the inclusion of guidance from an otherworldly force. The thing is, if aliens did help us our benevolently, why have they not returned to check our progress or ensure we're on the right track? There's been very little conclusive evidence as to alien visitations, and most abductions can be traced to things like sleep paralysis or another sleeping disorder. Unless we discover something that can be recognized as distinctly alien, I think it's best only limited resources are used for the study of such extraterrestrial influence.

• 4 weeks later...

I used to love this show and watchedt the first two seasons. But then i saw the debunked video and it lost it's appeal.

There are still possibilities of it being true but some of the proofs on the show were fudged a little. Once I saw that they had lied and mislead to make the 'evidence' work for them I wanted nothing to do with the show. That said there are still many unexplained phenomena that could esily be attributed to ancient aliens!

I haven't heard about this part of history before. I've only ever heard of the reptilian entities coming down to Earth and inter-breeding with humans. There is speculation about the government hiding certain technology from us, and the technology would make our jaws drop in awe, but they are keeping it from us. Do you think that this technology was given to them by these aliens, and that is another reason why they are shrouding the truth about alien existence?

• 3 weeks later...

I find this show insulting to the point I take it personally. The notion that human beings were incapable of building a glorified pile of rocks (the pyramids) is simply revolting.

One of the easiest falacies to address, which this junk programming vomits onto the back of your screen, is the notion that pyramids show up all over the Earth in a time when humans had supposed not yet mastered the technology to either circumnavigate the globe or build structures of this type. This is simply obtuse.

As I stated before, a pyramid is a glorified dirt pile. It is the most OBVIOUS methodology for building upwards. It provides a stable base, and is naturally the shape of a ramp...hmmm, I WONDER HOW THEY GOT STUFF UP THERE. Must have been aliens. :angry: Pyramids show up all over the planet for the same reason pots do. It's the most obvious solution to a problem common to human kind.

I believe that there is a lot of potential in this possibility. Like I have always been intrigued by the pyramids. According to all that I have read about them, they are marvels of engineering. Even with the modern equipment that we have today, it will still be a gigantic task to build just one pyramid, let alone so many. If it were not the ancient aliens, what other possibilities are there? Angels?