Sign in to follow this  
Neo

Lance Armstrong admits doping to Oprah

Rate this topic

The admission -- made in an interview to be broadcast in two separate installments starting Thursday on Winfrey's network -- was confirmed by CBS News Monday. Winfrey appeared on "CBS This Morning" on Tuesday to talk about the Armstrong interview, saying that both parties had agreed not to speak publicly about it until the interview aired, but "by the time I left Austin and landed in Chicago you all had already confirmed it."

Article and videos here:-

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-400_162-57563952/lance-armstrong-admits-doping-to-oprah/

Looking forward to seeing the actual interview.

I saw this in the news earlier. Seems all so hyped up - the poor guy.

I hate how the media will just latch onto something & forget that it's a human being involved.

Hmmm, but if he didnt want it to become a media circus, then why pick Oprah?  He could have just made a statement, informed a few reporters he was going to etc. Kept it very formal and straight forward.

I cant help but feel this is a money making, look at me, sort of story.  Oprah announces she is going to play the full 2.1/2 hour interview without any cuts or edits.

Another fallen hero. I think the take home message from something like this is that we shouldn't be building idols out of human beings (or anything for that matter.) We are all people with something to contribute. While, hollywood, sports, and news like to create superheroes, none of them are real.

Lance Armstrong was touted as a hero. A shining example of what one man with testicular cancer can be. Well, testicular cancer and steroids. So much love went out to him So much celebration. But... as always, he turns out to be a human being.

Really, I don't care about drugs in sports. I have better things to worry about. They can all be doping for all I care. They're entertainers that make that decision in their own life. Good for them.

I just think it's fun to see people be proven wrong about someone being holier than thou.

Perhaps he has a reasonable explanation. I guess we'll find out in the interview. The ball is in his court... (No. I didn't intend that to be a testicle joke.)

I saw an excerpt by Oprah this morning and it seems that  she is very disappointed that Lance not 'come clean" during the interview, as she thought he was going to do.

Have to watch the interview onThursday to find out what she meant. As I understand it, he has ruined a lot of lives. One cyclist had to move to New Zealand as he could not get a cycling opportunity in the US, because of Lance's statements about him. Lance may be sued by many people. The Justice Department is considering joining a lawsuit as well..

Hmmm, but if he didnt want it to become a media circus, then why pick Oprah?  He could have just made a statement, informed a few reporters he was going to etc. Kept it very formal and straight forward.

I cant help but feel this is a money making, look at me, sort of story.  Oprah announces she is going to play the full 2.1/2 hour interview without any cuts or edits.

I agree with you on this. If it wasn't for the publicity and money, why Oprah? The only other reason I can think of is to get that time slot on television. But why is that so important if you're not into the publicity? Surely he doesn't care so much that he thinks he needs to cry and whatever else in front of everyone in the world? It's a bit sketchy, but whatever. Admit what you want, someone in the world is watching.

I think he wanted all the attention he is getting. He is in the spot light once again. Yes, it is for a bad things, but it is publicity anyway you look at it. He knew what he was doing. 

I think his very public confession is an attempt to salvage some of his athetlic achievements. Confessing may get his lifetime ban reduced. He is also facing a $100 million dollar whistleblower lawsuit.  He is working with the US Justice Dept to reach some sort of settlement including one that will allow him to enter some competitive races.

Oprah's motivation is a bit more obvious. This interview will give her network a nice booster shot in the ratings area.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/lance-armstrong-seeks-agreements-with-justice-department-and-usada/2013/01/15/0c5f77d6-5f58-11e2-9940-6fc488f3fecd_story.html

How does this affect all the people who came in second place to him, do they get the 1st place medals and award money instead?

I highly doubt that he is the only one doping in these competitions, in fact considering *he* was able to get away with it for so long only makes it all the more plausible that people that aren't as high profile as him are getting away with it as well simply because they're under the radar. People can sue the hell out of him all they wan't, when this same problem is just waiting to be uncovered yet again and again.

Somehow I feel sorry for Lance Armstrong... He survived his prostate cancer then came back and used illegal stuff the win all those titles. I think this is sorta payback time or revenge of the destiny. He had 15 % chances of survival, but when he escaped the illness, instead of being happy he is still alive he pushed the boundaries and wanted more.