How soft drinks impact your health.

Soft drinks are much more dangerous, and addictive, than many people realize. Caffeine addiction is no joke; not only is it well documented and more widely recognized now, but I have experience with it as well...having been very fond of coke for years, when I decided to stop it was so much more challenging than I imagined. I had serious, typical 'withdrawl' like symptoms! Felt completely awful and like I 'needed' soda to feel better....I definitely don't want to drink anything that will give me feelings like that if I stop. It's a mess.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Looking at this image, its hard to imagine how someone could invent a drink that was worse for your health than fizzy drinks.  So you have to ask yourself why?   We know they put caffeine in them to g

Well, this is one of those times I like myself a bit better - I gave up sodas a few odd years back for cost reasons, actually. It is much cheaper to buy sugar and brew my own tea and coffee than to drink Mountain Dew, for which I had a fondness some people attribute to Heroin.

Tea and coffee have plenty caffiene, but simply put - I don't give a crap if that's addictive. And the odd part is, I've always been a big guy, but since I started drinking tea (and I use about a cup of sugar per gallon) I've actually lost a bit of weight.

:EDIT: Oh, and I'm one of those people who makes homemade wine. All fun drinking stories, without all the heinous cost! I'm sure homemade wine is better than storebought because of preservatives and whatnot. And all wine I've bought (with the exception of like Boone's Farm which is a glorified wine cooler) might as well be "I Can't Believe it's Not Vinegar!"

More addictive than cocaine? I'm not really into sweets personally, and (not to incriminate myself here, but I'll lay it out there) I used to do cocaine pretty regularly when I was in my early 20's (quit it a long time ago, fyi). That is kind of an extreme comparison, and certainly not something I ever experienced. I never understood how someone could drink one of those super size sodas either, at some point I would just feel too bloated from drinking that large of an amount of any fluid.

I guess the research which concludes that sugar is addictive as cocaine does not know the meaning of “addiction”. If that is true then sugar would become illegal as well. Many people will become addicted and can’t stop their addiction. When someone is addictive, he doesn’t know when to stop.

I guess the research which concludes that sugar is addictive as cocaine does not know the meaning of “addiction”. If that is true then sugar would become illegal as well. Many people will become addicted and can’t stop their addiction. When someone is addictive, he doesn’t know when to stop.

Sugar is currently regulated and taxed. If cocaine could be legally taxed, it probably wouldn't be illegal. And addiction is defined more by the inabiltiy to stop, rather than the lack of will to.

I haven't had soda for months now, at first it was because it was too expensive but then after a week i realized i didn't even want it anymore, now I mostly drink water and encourage my kids to do the same, I feel so much better for it and am saving a ton of cash that would otherwise be spent destroying my families health with liquid garbage 

You have to be careful of a lot of the juices they have too as they are generally loaded with added sugar and whatever else they feel the need to put in them, I am not a health nut but I am starting to be a bit more careful 

I cut out soda from my diet about a year ago, and it's probably one of the best decisions I've made. If you ask any doctor how much soda you should be consuming weekly/monthly/yearly, they should all say the same: exactly none. It has no nutritional value and it is unhealthy for your teeth, heart, and just your body in general.

• 3 weeks later...

Sugar is a DRUG!!!  People are addicted to it, and it KILLS people.  I don't understand how the government allows this stuff to be sold to the general public.  Cavities, diabetes, addiction, and all kinds of sicknesses can be tied to sugar.  These sodas that people are drinking are poison.  I guess it's ok for them to be sold in the grocery store by the FDA, because the government cares about all us soooooooooooo much!  It's really sad.

I'm lucky I guess in that I never drank soft drinks all that much as a youngster and very very little as an adult. But one reason is the things you mention however I did not "know" these facts I just felt like the stuff could not be very good for me, especially the diet varieties.

The information provided by the OP is exactly why I get so confused by people who get upset over the governments attempts at limiting the consumption of soda (or any other disgusting food item). The stuff these companies are selling is poison--and they get away with it because people love this crap. Now I'm not saying that our government should get mixed into our personal food choices, but there has to be SOME limit on this crap. Alcohol and tobacco have been put through the ringer in regards to advertising/selling to kids, yet soda and junk food companies continue to operate unregulated. They sell this stuff in schools for crying out loud! 

There is no doubt that soda/pop is bad for you. It obviously has no nutrtional value whatsover. But this is just one of those common sense things. Some foods and drinks do nothing to benefit you. But eating or drinking these things in moderation will not do excessive harm. This is like people who go to mcDonalds every day.They become obese, and have a heart attack. Then all of a sudden blame McDonalds and act as if they did not have a clue the food was horrible for them.

When you stop and really think about what you are drinking it's pretty gross. We have just been conditioned by advertisments to believe that it is awesome and tasty. Food needs to fuel your body and soda does the opposit.

This is such a great chart!

So what ingredients in particular are the most harmful in soda? We've covered sugar, coloring in coke, artificial sweeteners and caffeine. What about a soda like sprite that doesn't have any of those except for the sugar? is the carbon dioxide bubbles a part of the problem as well?

I've actually heard that when Coke first came out it had a small amount of cocaine in it and that's where it got it's name from.

I've been gaining some weight, so I recently started working out and cutting on things such as the soft drinks you're speaking of. That said, I knew that it'd be better for me to stop drinking sodas, but I honestly had no idea the damages were so severe... I'm even more motivated to quit drinking soft drinks now!

I have never been a huge soda drinker, but I do love the fizziness of carbonated drinks, and the "bite" it gives you. After reading all the bad things about regular pop, I switched to sugar-free, but then started reading all the awful reports about aspartame, too. So, I now enjoy plain carbonated water. I love the Perrier carbonated spring water, but it is pretty much out of my budget, so I just get the cheap store brand, and limit myself on even that. I usually drink ice water with lemon, or sometimes one of the energy powders with ice and lemon, and maybe some extra vitamin C added. I only have a Diet Coke as a special treat now and then, so hopefully I am not getting enough to do damage.

Thank you for posting the chart explaining all the bad things that pop does to your body. It always helps to remind me why I don't want to drink it.

I've also heard that people who drink diet soda instead of sugared find it easier to justify drinking more soda. They say to themselves, this soda isn't as bad for me as regular soda, so I can drink more of it. Personally, I hate the sugar-lacking taste of diet soda. i figured out last night that's why I don't like Fresca. It's got aspartame in it instead of sugar.

everyone in here stop drinking soda/pop/coke whatever you call it. That sugar level is making you fat and slowing down the process of your brain.

Drink some water, get a diet going. TRY EXERCISING.  The world has enough sleeping zombies in this world you don't need to controlled by sugar content.

be real.

Thanks for the information. This explains most of my health problems. The problem will be how to stop taking in these things. They are very addictive.

• 1 month later...
Guest nikilee

Mountain Dew was my drug of choice. I would drink a 2 liter a day. My doctor threatened kidney dialysis. I had no idea I was addicted to the stuff until I stayed with my family in North Carolina and went without it for two days. I got the worst headache I'd ever had. My uncle asked if I'd had any pop, I said no. He took me to the store and got me my Mt. Dew...problem solved....

Now I'm free of it and feeling much better but since then I have gone through a Pepsi and then Coke (Coca-Cola to be specific) addiction!

UGH!!!

This is sick.  I cannot believe how much damage a soda can do to your body.  I used to have a few cans of soda a week.  One year I gave it up for lent and I have hardly craved it at all.  Every once in a while if I am at a party, out to eat on a special occasion, or having a root beer float I will have a soda, but I'd say that probably happens 3-4 times a month.  I am glad I am not a heavy soda drinker.  Just looking at this chart, I can't believe how it is effecting almost every part of your body.