Apocalyptic asteroid

Do you think, if our governments knew about a massive asteroid, headed for Earth, would they suppress the knowledge? Threaten astronomers, so we, the people would be oblivious? They might see it as stopping panic and chaos, while they were secretly building underground bunkers to save a few important men and women.

I think that is pretty much the plot of at least one if not more films.  But yes, I'm 100% sure they lie to us about trivial things like the real rate of inflation, immigration and so on.  So the chances of them lying about something like this is more than 100% (I know that's not possible.)

It is a terrible shame that we live in a world where the people we supposedly select as the best of us, lie and cheat.

If a massive asteroid will hit the earth, the government will not be the first to know. There few private research teams who watches asteroids, meteors, comets and other near earth objects, and they directly report in their website. If this happens government cannot cover and suppress the truth. 

There are underground news stations that report on the oddities that are around. If anyone would report it they would. Also if a large enough asteroid hit earth, I am not sure underground bunkers would be able to withstand the blast. The asteroid that was scheduled to hit earth in 2036 has had a cancellation announced. Wheee.

Yes, I believe that governments would hide the information. Can you imagine the panic and pandemonium that would occur if they told people they were about to die? Have you not seen how people act when a hurricane or blizzard is on the way. 

I think that is pretty much the plot of at least one if not more films.  But yes, I'm 100% sure they lie to us about trivial things like the real rate of inflation, immigration and so on.  So the chances of them lying about something like this is more than 100% (I know that's not possible.)

It is a terrible shame that we live in a world where the people we supposedly select as the best of us, lie and cheat.

Great point! Except that the real rate of inflation isn't so trivial.  :D But I agree that they would surely keep us in the dark, at least until the very last minute. 

It's one of the basic benefits of internet usage, in that it is almost impossible to suppress such a news item. Governments have other tools though, such as disinformation and the ability to discredit the source of a story. But I agree, once a story did break online, it would spread quickly.

Sadly, I do believe that the government would attempt to suppress the truth, they really couldn't though. Like Dagscot said, the internet is a wonderful thing, which is why lately the Government has been loosing at their own game. The internet is full of authority private news sites, hacktivists, and people who know how to spread information and stay under the radar. If an asteroid were hurdling towards earth, it would get leaked, then spread like wildfire. The internet is a whirlpool of information, and a good chunk has exposed Government corruption, in all countries. Which is why bills like SOPA and CISPA have come into play in the last few years, they are trying to suppress the flow of information. 

I'm sure they would try to cover it for a while, maybe trying to find a solution without causing chaos, and for that reason it would be legitimate. 

If they would keep it undercover after not finding a solution and for how long they would do that? That one is arguable, there's a good chance OPs theory is correct, there's also some chance that people would be warned.

What can I say... i'm an optimist. xD

If a massive asteroid was going to impact earth, governments would not tell us. They would try to supress the information as much as possible. Depending on the timing of the impact, they may or may not try to evacuate areas. If an evacuation order has been put in place, they would not give the real reason for this order. Top government officials would ensure to hide themselves, and their family, and leave us, to face the brunt of it. Then afterwards they would tell us condolences to those who lost their loved ones, and that we need to concentrate on picking up the pieces, and that we can overcome any adversity.

Yes the government would hide that information from the public. There are scientists now in Antarctica who are watching the approach of a massive brown dwarf star making its way up through the Galactic equator along the solstice line from the southern hemisphere. This star comes through our solar system on a perihelion walkthrough every 5125 years. ( about the same length of time as the Mayan Baktun)I read an interesting excerpt of this from the Millennium Prophecy. It is called "The Physics of Destruction". A very interesting read.

It's governments job to handle threats and part of that involves not creating mass panic and confusion so it's highly unlikely they would tell the public you are about to die.

Since there is nothing you can do about it anyway, if it ever happens, why panic for days needlessly?

I also highly doubt they'd be able to keep it a secret. They are human and humans talk to people while others eavesdrop, it would spread like wildfire.

I don't think that they could keep it quiet. There would be too many people involved with nothing to lose. I mean, what are they going to to do? Threaten to kill you? The asteroid is going to do that! But I guess it depends on how deadly the asteroid would be. Would it kill everyone on earth? Is there any chance of survival? If there was a chance that only a few people could survive, I can see them trying to hide it. If there's no hope, I the the news would want to get some last minute ratings in.

What exactly would the average person do about it if they knew other than completely freak out? Grab your gun and try to shoot at it? Run and hide? If it was going to happen it was going to happen. Other than maybe saying some goodbyes to some people, I would almost rather not know.

Do you think, if our governments knew about a massive asteroid, headed for Earth, would they suppress the knowledge? Threaten astronomers, so we, the people would be oblivious? They might see it as stopping panic and chaos, while they were secretly building underground bunkers to save a few important men and women.

I think that one of the keys to the whole killer-asteroid thing is that they actually have scary sounding names. You can argue all you like about the scientific community being able to leak anything that the government would want to keep a lid on, but the point where you'll really want to start to worry is if they say an asteroid is heading towards us and they name it something non-threatening like "Fluffy Bunny Conntail" or something. 

While reading this, I suddenly remember the movie 2012 and YES it's possible that the government is hiding a big secret like this. The government has the power to manipulate some astronomers and even though there are many astronomers in the world, they don't have the most advanced technology so it might be too late when we learn about it. 

• 2 weeks later...

I think with the use of internet nowadays and so many private companies watching the skies and reporting any unusual activities plus information sharing is so easy nowadays, I don't think the government can suppress such knowledge of an event so big. They can certainly try to suppress or discredit the information but ultimately I believe the people would still got to know about it. 

Anyway for sky watchers out there, on 15th Feb, accordingly to the link below, an asteroid about 45 meters long is going to come MIGHTILY CLOSE to earth. (No closer than 17,100 miles from our planet). But scientist have said we don't need to panic because it will not hit earth. Anyway below is the link, just to share. That's all.

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/02/07/us/asteroid-approach-earth/index.html?iref=allsearch

• 4 weeks later...
 The asteroid that was scheduled to hit earth in 2036 has had a cancellation announced. Wheee.

It really depends on its trajectory in 2029. If its trajectory is influenced by the Earth atmosphere when it passes by us in 2029, then it (Apophis) can hit Earth on it's second pass in 2036.

Of course the government would not say a word. And, if it were to get out and people knew, the gov't would definitely lie. I mean after all that is what they are good at. Could you imagine the panic that would set in with people if they knew a giant asteroid was about to wipe them out. It would be complete mass hysteria.