Facebook badly wants your personal info

I have noticed that almost every site that I go to, there is a Facebook banner on top of the page that encourages you to join Facebook. I've seen it on Yahoo Answers and Youtube and on other sites that I go to, like new age websites. Now it got me thinking. Facebook has been popular since 2009, and is still popular until now, but how come it seems to me like they are massively promoting it like it is a new site that needs to have their first members? I find it strange, since I certainly did not see those ads back when Facebook was still new in the world wide web. I smell a conspiracy theory here, where Mark Zuckerberg and company wants as many private info of people around the world as much as possible in preparation for the NWO. What do you think?

Well, Facebook definitely wants whatever info people are willing to share, but I don't think they are responsible for all of the Facebook links. I think it's just the popularity of social media and website admins doing what they're "supposed" to do to have their site appear up-to-date with the current web trends.

I've also noticed that a lot of the commenting sections on sites are an extension of the Facebook website. I use a dummy account as my main account and have all of the settings set so that my comments on news articles and such don't end up on my timeline.

You'll know the apocalypse is near when discussion forums become an extension of Facebook. :P

Yes, most sites now allow you to log in and comment using your Yahoo, Google, and Facebook account. But when I hovered my mouse on those Facebook banners, I saw on the lower left side of Google Chrome the link of the banner, and it has "googleadservices" at the start of the URL. So it seems like they're really advertising Facebook. Seems fishy to me.

I do not think that Facebook is going to be a tool for the apocalypse! On the contrary, I strongly believe that Facebook and Google execs are using every single square micrometer of their Internet presence to try to make as much money as possible from web users  (in other words,...us!) . I noticed an abundance of ads appearing since some time last year.. It's always on panel on the right side of the screen. I tried an experiment, I clicked on one ad that said 'Célibataires sur Facebook' ('Singles on Facebook' in French, because I live in France, and Facebook knows that), and voila, every day I find countless ads for online dating sites, straight, gay and what have you, appearing neatly on the panel on the right. I do not know if this is a coincidence but this is certainly a case of cookies and other programs tracking my activities on the internet, what sites I go to, how often etc. And the programs track my movements and send me ads related to whatever it is my activities online are related to and which can be monetized. 

For example, I clicked on a dating site and now Facebook (and probably Google) knows that I'm single and am looking for a potential partner so the cookies, bots and other programs send me advertisements for dating sites, meetups, what have you, so they can use me to make money when I sign up or pay for whatever services, then Facebook or Google will get a cut of the profits. And with millions of people using Facebook and Google, well you guess it.

It's not a sign of the apocalypse, it's a capitalist's conspiracy! 

I like facebook and do not think their is a conspiracy. And, they aren't the first site to use "targeted" ads. I would rather see ads for things I am interested in, rather than junk. Facebook provides a great service by helping connect people and I have no problem with their ad campaigns.

Facebook is a Mossad front? That cannot be true. I heard that Facebook is actually a front for the Kuomintang. No, that was last year's news. The latest news is that Facebook is the front for the re-election of Musharraf. You don't believe that? Why not? I mean if you can believe that Facebook is a Mossad front, why can't you also believe that Facebook is the front for Kim Jong-un? Did I just say Kim Jong-un? What I meant was Ahmadinejad.

I do not think that Facebook is going to be a tool for the apocalypse! On the contrary, I strongly believe that Facebook and Google execs are using every single square micrometer of their Internet presence to try to make as much money as possible from web users  (in other words,...us!) . I noticed an abundance of ads appearing since some time last year.. It's always on panel on the right side of the screen. I tried an experiment, I clicked on one ad that said 'Célibataires sur Facebook' ('Singles on Facebook' in French, because I live in France, and Facebook knows that), and voila, every day I find countless ads for online dating sites, straight, gay and what have you, appearing neatly on the panel on the right. I do not know if this is a coincidence but this is certainly a case of cookies and other programs tracking my activities on the internet, what sites I go to, how often etc. And the programs track my movements and send me ads related to whatever it is my activities online are related to and which can be monetized. 

For example, I clicked on a dating site and now Facebook (and probably Google) knows that I'm single and am looking for a potential partner so the cookies, bots and other programs send me advertisements for dating sites, meetups, what have you, so they can use me to make money when I sign up or pay for whatever services, then Facebook or Google will get a cut of the profits. And with millions of people using Facebook and Google, well you guess it.

It's not a sign of the apocalypse, it's a capitalist's conspiracy! 

This is what we call the 'filter bubble', look it up, it's very very interesting but scary at the same time. If you want your google searches to stop affecting the results and the ads you encounter, use a search engine like DuckGoGo, it is not personalized in its results in any way.

Also I noticed for me it was impossible to change my last name on Facebook to something silly, or to one letter or to leave it blank. Facebook doesnt accept silly lastnames because you are OBLIGATED to enter your real info.

Facebook doesnt accept silly lastnames because you are OBLIGATED to enter your real info.

It's fairly easy to circumvent.  I have a real Facebook account for my kids and great-aunts and such.  I have a second Facebook account where I do all my subversive, anti-government stuff.  My alternative account would not fool the FBI, but it does hide my "naughty" activities from potential corporate employers.

I use Adblock Plus and Ghostery to block tracking of my activities.  I can't imagine surfing without them.

http://adblockplus.org

http://ghostery.com

Good article here:  http://lifehacker.com/the-best-browser-extensions-that-protect-your-privacy-479408034

You'll be amazed at how many websites watch your online behavior...

control.png

Well I'm suspicious of the fact that why does Facebook still retain our data even if we have already deactived our account? They don't even offer an option to delete our info, we can only deactivate it. Plus every change that we make to our accounts, they monitor it. I entered an old password, and it said that I used an old password. Then they even monitor our status updates. Facebook even came out with a report several years ago saying that most break ups happen just before Christmas. So obviously they monitor every bit of info that their members provide, which is fishy. What use is it to them to retain all of their members pictures in their database? It all sounds fishy to me.