Sign in to follow this  
5amMarks

Is there good without God?

Rate this topic

I was on another forum recently where someone asked the question as to whether or not there can be good without a "god"?

If a person doesn't believe in god can they still be good and if so what is their motive?

If we are dependent on people doing good things because they fear the sky pixies will punish them otherwise, we are in serious trouble as a society!

If we are dependent on people doing good things because they fear the sky pixies will punish them otherwise, we are in serious trouble as a society!

My thoughts exactly. If you do acts of good only out of fear than are you actually a good person?

and unfortunately, you are right. A fair portion of our society actually does fear the sky pixies and we are doomed.

Good and Evil are concepts created by religion anyway.

What's perceived as "evil" in the moment can actualy be constructive in the long run, or the other way around.

But ignoring the semantics, yes of course there is "good" without god. :P

Yes they can be good without a god, I think the large majority of people are good. Besides, atheists have a conscience in the same way religious people have a conscience so even atheists have a desire to do good,over bad. By and large we are good, it's inate, everyone is born good but environment/experiences/circumstances/hard times/trauma can turn us bad.

There must be, otherwise we'd have a lot of awful people on this earth, wouldn't we? I don't think that people act based on their religion as much as they would like to think that they do. A Christian girl might wait until she's married to have sex because of her religion, but she wouldn't necessarily give money to a homeless person because of it. People act more out of what their conscious will let them do rather than what their God (or lack thereof) will let them do.

Morals can be taught without religion. You don't have to be scared of burning for eternity or having your creator angry with you to be a decent person, it's ridiculous to me to suggest otherwise. There are people with no morals or conscience, but those aren't religion-less people, those are psychopaths.

I think we're in trouble anyway. Too many greedy people wanting too much control and power and resources is destroying our life support system, earth.

For one thing, God made everyone and I believe He loves all of them. If they do something that is considered evil, if they repent and come to him humbled, He will forgive them. If they do not come to Him, He still loves them. But will throw them into hell if there is one.

That makes me wonder, without God, can there really be any evil? If yes, then you have to imagine that you're saying that humans are naturally evil and can only be good by knowing God. Though, you have to imagine that without evil, we would never know good and without good we would never know evil. It's a kind of philosophy question that can twist and go around and around. Without good, we wouldn't have anything to compare evil to since all we would know is evil. Without evil, we would never know good since all we know is good.

What's sad is the people that claim they love God and follow his teaching and yet care little for others.

You actually made some really good points, MTHart. It gets a person to thinking. 

And as for the original question, I agree with what a lot of other people said: You can be good without knowing a god. You can be taught morals and to make good choices without the fear of a god being put into you. I was raised without a god and I know that I can make a lot of positive change in the world without needing a religion myself. 

There can be no good without God. There can be nothing without God. There can be good in your non belief of God and where there is good God is present, even if you don't believe.

I knew this thread would bring out a hardline pro-god response. Lucy, to which God are you referring?

Your tone leads me to believe you are Islamic.

If I'm right, can I ask you why Islam has no tolerance for other people's beliefs? "even if you don't believe" is a strong statement to make.

I knew this thread would bring out a hardline pro-god response. Lucy, to which God are you referring?

Your tone leads me to believe you are Islamic.

If I'm right, can I ask you why Islam has no tolerance for other people's beliefs? "even if you don't believe" is a strong statement to make.

I think that last bit just means that God is all good in the world. But maybe you got that, I don't know.

As for the topic at hand--not all religions believe in any sort of divine punishment for the way that they act. Maybe I'm just nitpicking because I'm biased, but it's something to consider.

Yes they can be good without a god, I think the large majority of people are good. Besides, atheists have a conscience in the same way religious people have a conscience so even atheists have a desire to do good,over bad. By and large we are good, it's inate, everyone is born good but environment/experiences/circumstances/hard times/trauma can turn us bad.

I think I have more respect for atheists than Christian some times. At least with an atheist you can be sure that any good they do is due to being a moral person and having some degree of compassion for your fellow man. Sometimes, with Christians, I have to wonder if the good they do is to put a mark on a score sheet that could get them into heaven.

I knew this thread would bring out a hardline pro-god response. Lucy, to which God are you referring? Your tone leads me to believe you are Islamic. If I'm right, can I ask you why Islam has no tolerance for other people's beliefs? "even if you don't believe" is a strong statement to make.
Which God am I referring to?...well... Which God don't you believe in?I am referring to the One and Only God, and no, I am not Islamic. I don't belong to any religious organization. I am a free spirited, inquirer of God and truth. I have a strong faith in God that I developed through my own personal life experiences. The difference is, I didn't look for God 'out there'. I found Him within. Thank you for asking.

I think I have more respect for atheists than Christian some times. At least with an atheist you can be sure that any good they do is due to being a moral person and having some degree of compassion for your fellow man. Sometimes, with Christians, I have to wonder if the good they do is to put a mark on a score sheet that could get them into heaven.

That also depends on what kind of Christianity they believe in. A Catholic might do good deeds to try to get into heaven, but Protestants don't typically believe that what you do has any impact as long as you believe that Jesus died for your sins.

Honestly, we'd probably more evil but the gain from that is we would probably already be more technologically advanced than we are today, But that's honestly my opinion others can have thoughts otherwise. Some already believe there is no god and if there isn't already - well then look how the world is today?

Yes, I believe that if a person doesn't believe in God then they have the ability to still be a good and decent person. There are people in this world that believe in God and attend church religiously yet still commit heinous crimes. There are inmates whom are serial rapists and murders, and believe in God. I am a former correctional officer and I have witnessed inmates speak of God and they recite how they are his servants. Believing in a higher being doesn't pertain to ones character--it's ones' innate morality that cause one to be good or evil; we all have our own perferences and inclinations.

The government's laws are loosely patterned after the 10 commandments, especially the part where you shall not kill, steal, and covet your neighbor's wife, so without a God, and without religion, what do you think will happen to this world? Will people know the difference between right and wrong? So for goodness to exist, there has to be a God behind all of it.

Guest Guest
The government's laws are loosely patterned after the 10 commandments, especially the part where you shall not kill, steal, and covet your neighbor's wife, so without a God, and without religion, what do you think will happen to this world? Will people know the difference between right and wrong? So for goodness to exist, there has to be a God behind all of it.

Actually, those laws existed in times before the writing of the 10 commandments, supposedly. In Ancient Egypt, you could lose a hand for stealing. People are free to argue this fact as they will, but many societies before had laws against stealing, lusting after another man's property or wife (or house husband), and many other reasons. This of course will depend on your own religious standings, but you could say that the 10 commandments are actually written after laws that have reoccurred in many societies as a way to encourage these different people to realize that their values or wishes in laws were much the same. 

Oh I see, I was never aware of that, since I don't really read up on Egyptian or ancient history in general. Maybe back then it was only dependent on the ruler of a particular area to implement those laws, and not until the Lord officially announced to Moses on Mt. Sinai the 10 Commandments, those rules were only implemented depending on the king or ruler's decision.

Well in history it really depends on the area. Nomadic families had their own laws which were very similar to the no stealing, no adultery, and etc. However, they would either leave the final judgement to the leader or they would implement a family voting to determine who was right or wrong, plus the punishment. Rulers could always bend laws as they see fit, which is even seen in the Bible too in some cases. God claims killing to be against the Bible, but there are cases in which he asks for the blood of another or calling down floods, and etc. It really is a hazy area to get into when we try to decide who proclaimed laws and when the first laws were written or what those laws were based upon. 

Though, this is a matter of opinion. Most opinion is based on what you know or learned. I'm pretty much into reading up on ancient societies now and then, so my opinion will be different.

Yes,  I believe there is good without God. I don't understand the idea that if someone doesn't believe God they can't be a good person. I know plenty of people who claim to believe in God, but are some of the most devious, heartless and horrible human beings I have ever met.