Sign in to follow this  
5amMarks

Is there good without God?

Rate this topic

Although I feel that a person who does not belive in God can have morals and values I feel that they will never be up to par with the people who do believe in a higher power and something above them in general. I almost feel that the non believers have some kind of arrogance about them which makes it all add up.I feel that believing in God makes a person learn and understand everything clearer and better and values will be instilled in them unlike a non believer that has to educate themsleves.

of course people can be good without a God. I have met many athiests and they are lovely and so kind and loving so clearly that has nothing to do with God. I also agree that there is good and bad in everyone and we have all done things we are not proud of. What is important is how we take that and turn it around for good.

Actually, those laws existed in times before the writing of the 10 commandments, supposedly. In Ancient Egypt, you could lose a hand for stealing. People are free to argue this fact as they will, but many societies before had laws against stealing, lusting after another man's property or wife (or house husband), and many other reasons. This of course will depend on your own religious standings, but you could say that the 10 commandments are actually written after laws that have reoccurred in many societies as a way to encourage these different people to realize that their values or wishes in laws were much the same. 

What about the fact that anciet Egyptians believed in the afterlife and in a deity? They may not have based their laws on the 10 commandments but they certainly based their laws on a higher being.

What should laws be based on then if not on God's moral compass? What if i think stealing is fine, or whats the big deal with murder? why should I be put in prison or judged according to society's standards?

Just because a bunch of people come together and they decide based on their beliefs what is "right" and what is "wrong" doesn't mean that it is fair to enforce it onto others.

What if tomorrow society decided murder was legal? does that mean it is right? Who defines what is right and wrong then?

Guest Guest

I have a friend who is an atheist and generally he is a good man. He is more trustworthy and honest than some religious people I know. I think he is a proof that there is good without God. 

I have a friend who is an atheist and generally he is a good man. He is more trustworthy and honest than some religious people I know. I think he is a proof that there is good without God. 

I agree to this, I know a priest who doesn’t practice what he preaches. It is funny that some people are saying something but their action says otherwise. 

If we are dependent on people doing good things because they fear the sky pixies will punish them otherwise, we are in serious trouble as a society!

This. If you're only doing good things because a man in the sky threatened you with hell if you didn't, then that isn't morality or true samaratinism. That's just obedience. A true act of good is done without being bullied into it first.

So yes, acts of good are perfectly possible without god being part of the picture whatsoever. Lots of people just like to claim that this is a requirement for good just so they can try to guilt people into joining their religion.

And if you seriously need to be told by a religion to not do things like kill people or steal in order to know that those things are bad, you need mental help.

Not only is there undoubtably good without a god, but perhaps that is the only kind of true goodness there really is. Is it goodness to live a moral life only for fear of hell/desire for heaven? Is it goodness to not understand being a good person just for the sake of it?

"An intelligent person does not need the promise of heaven to see the merit in good deeds."

The rest will continue to rely on blind faith built around fear tactics.

Many believers do good in order to be rewarded with eternal life in Heaven. Doing good with the expectation of reward is not the action of a moral person. The person who does good when it cannot benefit him in any way is much more moral than the one who does good because he fears God will punish him.

I am living wat better since a stopped believing this mess. I feel that I`m free now, it doesn`t feel good to belive in what doesn`t show up, cmon, if god was a true thing he would come and stop the churches here in Brazil, they together make more than 20 billion reais (10 billion dollars) a year!

I believe a person can be morally good without believe in a high power. I know alot of people who claim to be god fearing and religious but don't practice what they preach. Just be a good person treat yourself and everyone with respect.

Sadly enough, many religious people believe atheists have no morals, and they don't believe in a higher power because if they don't, they can get away with anything. I don't think people are good because they believe that if otherwise they will be punished by god. That is absurd. People should be good because they are, they shouldn't need moral guidelines, and they shouldn't need somebody pressing a gun against their head, saying "Be good or I'll pull the trigger".

I don't really believe in god and I like to think that I am a good person, I'm not perfect but I think there is plenty of good in me, just as i'm sure there is in the rest of the world

and in any case how can it be so black and white, I don't think there is just good and bad there is a lot of grey in there 

Its bad to assault a man but is it bad to do so in deference when protecting someone who cant protect themselves? and if it is not good to help it surely isn't good to stand by and do nothing 

Why would we be evil, if we don't believe in good?..
Come on.. even animals do good deeds, and have empathy. And don't tell me that they have a god to make them do these actions.

Do you not find it strange that god is good with a letter added, devil is evil with a letter removed?

Nice observation, it seems like a coincidence, but I think God probably intended it to be spelled that way, like the underlying connection is hidden in plain sight.

Anyway, I agree that a person can still be generally good if he doesn't believe in God, but his morals won't be as high I guess as compared to someone who has a strong faith and believes in God.

Billions of secular humanists and billions of religious fundamentalists say yes, there is good without god. People are altruistic and  are capable of rational thought (some refuse to use it though), and  religion or belief in god  has hardly anything to do with one being 'good'.

Nice observation, it seems like a coincidence, but I think God probably intended it to be spelled that way, like the underlying connection is hidden in plain sight.

Anyway, I agree that a person can still be generally good if he doesn't believe in God, but his morals won't be as high I guess as compared to someone who has a strong faith and believes in God.

Oh jeez Sidney, I seriously hope you're trolling. Because I don't even want to contemplate the other option. Thanks for the laughs, though. And nice to know God speaks English too, for the record.

If you're asking whether atheists can be good, then the answer is obvious.

Your so called ''God'' is nothing but a tool to make people fear doing bad.

I don't think being a good person has anything to do with the belief in a god or a religion, there have been many evil acts carried out in history in the name of religion. It is not your faith in a god that makes you good or bad it is purely you own personal choice to be a decent person, that is the fantastic thing about being human, we have freedom of choice, and it is up to us and only us to decide how we conduct ourselves.

The government's laws are loosely patterned after the 10 commandments, especially the part where you shall not kill, steal, and covet your neighbor's wife, so without a God, and without religion, what do you think will happen to this world? Will people know the difference between right and wrong? So for goodness to exist, there has to be a God behind all of it.

That's what all the fighting is about, and has been about since the Crusades, actually before the Crusades. Whose God is the right God? All the deities throughout history were created by man. The Christian God, the Muslim God, both created by man. Our society and past generations would have been MUCH better off without these man-made God's because there would have been a lot less wars and the billions of people that have died because of war, would have lived a whole lot longer.

Say you live in a nice community, a nice suburb, a clean, reputable sub-division. Do you need someone to tell you to keep your house clean? Even those who do, they are not going to do so if someone tells them, "clean up your house, wash your dishes, clean your floors and bathroom." If you're a relatively clean person, you don't need anyone to tell you to keep your own house clean.

If you're a morally sound person, you don't need "10 commandments" to do the right thing. You're going to do what's right most of the time without any commandments, supposedly handed down to Moses. According to the scriptures, Moses was always around VIOLENCE, basically doing what God "commanded" him to do.

• Numbers 25:3-4, where God told Moses to, "take all the heads of the people and hang them up before the LORD against the sun, that the fierce anger of the LORD may be turned away from Israel."

• Exodus 11:4-5, "And Moses said, Thus saith the LORD, about midnight will I go out into the midst of Egypt: And all the firstborn in the land of Egypt shall die, from the firstborn of Pharaoh that sitteth upon his throne, even unto the firstborn of the maidservant that is behind the mill; and all the firstborn of beasts."

• Numbers 31:16-18, "Behold, these caused the children of Israel, through the counsel of Balaam, to commit trespass against the LORD in the matter of Peor, and there was a plague among the congregation of the LORD. Now therefore kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him. But all the women children, that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves."

There are plenty more Bible verses that has Moses going around whoopin' azz, killing folks by the thousands. Not to mention, after he received the commandments, from a 'burning bush' (WOW), Moses, "approached the camp and saw the calf and the dancing, his anger burned and he threw the tablets out of his hands, breaking them to pieces at the foot of the mountain" (Exodus 32:19). So right after a face-to-face (or face-to-burning-bush) meeting with a Loving God, Moses comes right down the mountain and throws and breaks the tablets just handed to him by God? That's like going to an AA meeting, and having a drink on your way out the door.

Is this what millions of people believe?????

10 commandments my azz .. If a person is determined to do evil, when has any commandments ever deterred him? Approach a bank robber with "thou shalt not steal", or a murderer with "thou shalt not kill", or a cheating spouse with, "thou shalt not commit adultery", and see if either of those commandments makes any difference.

Furthermore, the Roman Catholic Church has broken more commandments, over the past 2000 years, than any one person has ever thought about.

I find it hard to believe that people actually believe this BS!

Before entering this thread, I knew that I would find some of the responses that I found in here lol. My two cents on the matter is that yes, there can be and IS good without God. But once again, what you define as God plays a major part in what your answer would be. But overall, in my opinion, there is good with the absence of God, but then even if people don't believe in God, God is still there whether they believe it or like it.

This planet would be a much better place if we didn't have all the competing "Supreme Being" stories. There would have been no Crusades, no 100 years war, no Inquisition, no witch hunts, no pedophiliac bishops, cardinals, and priest. There would be no Roman Catholic Church and Vatican, hoarding the worlds wealth. The man-made God is soooooo unnecessary, and that certainly includes the Christian and Islam deities.