Facebook a CIA front?

I don't think I can put too much credence in this Besides, why limit themselves to facebook? The CIA and any number of other agencies very likely have access to a much larger base of information about us all across the internet. There's so many social websites out there now, twitter, tumblr, facebook and probably more to come. Why blame the government as we continue to give away our privacy every day, right down to our current location on a flashy map.

You are correct, I'm sure Facebook isn't the only means of gathering information on the populace. Fact is, there are several databases across the country that store information from every day people. It isn't too hard nowadays, considering how much information we freely give away. 

It is quite possible that Facebook was created by the C.I.A, in order to get access to person's information easily. Governments sometimes have a voracious appetite to get as much information about it's citizens, as possible, and is willing to use various means to get that information. Facebook now has a billion users, therefore Facebook is an information gold mine. Persons are extremely willing to share their pictures, personal information, as well as their family and friends without any care or concern. Therefore certain links can be made without having to get a warrant. When persons do not have a Facebook account, that can make them "stand out" as well, so even without a Facebook account, a person's privacy is still exposed.  I am quite sure that intelligence communities, including the police, uses and have used Facebook to verify information, to find persons that they want, to obtain the latest photos of a person. Bosses often use Facebook to do background checks, journalists uses Facebook as well to help to clarify or verify information.

There's no doubt that facebook helps the government. Why would they not use it? It's one of the greatest tools they have, and they don't have to do anything. People line up to give away all of the information of their lives. People look at you funny if you don't have a facebook, it's just the quote unquote normal thing to do. Now, I don't think that the CIA is necessarily keeping tabs on the people who post things like "u nevr kno til u try <3<3<3<3" and whatnot, but we already know that people can get fired, rejected from colleges, kicked out of school, or arrested for what they post on facebook.

Back when I did have a facebook, I had set it up with my first name and just my initial and a private e-mail address. So anyone i wanted to add me, I could tell them this address, but no one could find me via search.

DId you know that facebook doesnt delete you?  I have deleted my account, but if I was to login now it would say "Welcome back to facebook" and all my pictures and everything would still be restored as they never really deleted them.  That to me is very worrying.  Why are they keeping them exactly?

Its a very interesting tool when you think about it.  A website that mostly placates people with trivia about their friends lives. But can also allow news storys to go viral through links to friends, and can be used to find out what people get up to.  I think its easy to see how it could be used for evil.

Hey, if there is a site out there that aggregates a lot of real user data then you can bet the feds want and have access. There was a law passed under Obama that states that internet service providers must make individual browsing habits accessible to authorities and so I don't see why Facebook would not be second on that list, after Google.

Google has already admited having ties with the department of national defense and homeland security I think.

They never really delete you or your information. Several times I have gone through and deleted out all of my past posts to just clean out my account, days later I would log back into my account and randomly some of the deleted posts would reappear. When you close down your account, they still keep all of your information as others have noted, it's as if you've only temporarily paused it. Actually, if you close your account too many times within a short time frame, they will block you from re-opening in it for 24 hours.

I don't want to sound like a religious fanatic, but Facebook, like the whole Internet was in fact built with the sole purpose of manipulating masses. Facebook uses people's pride and ego in their advantage. I bet some Facebook users are better known by Facebook than their own mothers . :)

Back when I did have a facebook, I had set it up with my first name and just my initial and a private e-mail address. So anyone i wanted to add me, I could tell them this address, but no one could find me via search.

DId you know that facebook doesnt delete you?  I have deleted my account, but if I was to login now it would say "Welcome back to facebook" and all my pictures and everything would still be restored as they never really deleted them.  That to me is very worrying.  Why are they keeping them exactly?

Neo, are you sure you didn't deactivate the account versus deleting it? I deleted my account and can not log back in. It's not even recognized as a valid email anymore. 

If the CIA is using facebook as a way to gether and monitor citizens, then I'm sure they enable many other Social Networks for the same purposes. Google doesn't erase any of the searches we make. They document and store them forever in their database. Every single search we have ever made is stored somewhere. I think that is kind of creepy and a real violation of our privacy. With all the information that users put on facebook and other social networks its a paradise of information that can be jotted down by the CIA. Be careful big brother is everywhere.

They don't necessarily need to be in bed with Facebook or any other social media network, all they need to do is just scrape the data from it as many other companies are doing. I can't recall the name of this one company, but they claim they can basically get into anyone's profile on Facebook by circulating some app that allows them to browse through other people's profiles. I guess the theory is that of all the friends you have on FB, one of them is bound to have this app installed.

They don't necessarily need to be in bed with Facebook or any other social media network, all they need to do is just scrape the data from it as many other companies are doing. I can't recall the name of this one company, but they claim they can basically get into anyone's profile on Facebook by circulating some app that allows them to browse through other people's profiles. I guess the theory is that of all the friends you have on FB, one of them is bound to have this app installed.

Yes that is true. Many services such as Mylife, scrape FB for information on people. The difference I think, is that these services have limited access. Either way, we freely give away our privacy. 

Neo, are you sure you didn't deactivate the account versus deleting it? I deleted my account and can not log back in. It's not even recognized as a valid email anymore. 

Even if you delete your account, the information will still be stored on Facebook's servers. Facebook will still have the information.

I was watching a television show where one of the main characters quipped that the government or CIA was behind Facebook. It's the perfect place to spy or keep track of people. People freely share their information online. It's crazy.

I do have a Facebook account, but I don't share squat about myself. I really don't like the timeline because it arranges your activities by date.

• 1 month later...

If government wants some information on us, they could get it easily from ISPs etc. or pretty much any sites. Not a big secret to be honest. And I'm okay with that. Although it's unlikely that they'd use that information, at least  for the mere reason that it's a bloody pain in the ass to manage the sheer volume of information that's out there. If they can, well, good luck with that.

Yes, I became aware that facebook never really ever delete you - even when you select that option - through my sister, who was complaining because her pictures were still visible, even though she had deleted it. I had put it down to her lack of computer skills at the time, but it would not surprise me in the least if there was something more behind their unwillingness to let go of people's information.

It takes up space on their Facebook server, I assume, to keep everybody's videos and pictures stored. You would think that they would be pleased when people deleted their accounts, if only to save money so that they didn't have to buy more server space. But that doesn't appear to be the case. It's definitely worth looking into.

Google is another Online eye.

What you guys are saying here makes the world look like a really dark place! My informatics teacher has the same idea, that secret services have control of facebook, but I just think that facebook sells our information data to companies in order to make and market new products.

I am just curious to know why one would think the CIA would be interested in spying on people through Facebook. It is nothing more than a place for people to brag about things that don't really have, take pictures of the foods they are eating, and cause unnecessary drama. As for finding out personal information on a person, well if someone is dumb enough to put tons of private personal info on their account on the web, then it's not really personal anymore. There are tons of ways for the gov't to spy on you to get info. Really, if you think about it, other than your name and email, and whatever you personally put is all the info they are going to get. They can find out just as much if you have a DL/ID.

Thank you for sharing the video. I enjoyed it. It reminds me of a documentary, "The Corporation" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Corporation_%28film%29 - for people who want more information). Is the source credible? Where does the video clip comes from? In a way we are all inter-linked or have some of connection with everyone. Where is the evidence that shows direct connection between the parties and CIA?

What you guys are saying here makes the world look like a really dark place! My informatics teacher has the same idea, that secret services have control of facebook, but I just think that facebook sells our information data to companies in order to make and market new products.

Yeah pretty much. Facebook ads target us based on our browsing patterns, likes etc. and maybe they sell out information to companies too. Same with Google. That's not any big conspiracy, I think they themselves acknowledge that they collect data and use cookies. 

• 4 weeks later...

I do not think it started that way, but I am sure it is used to gather intel, i mean, oh hell, what isn't nowadays?  The way I look at it, if any agency is using the social media now is our chance to let the government know exactly how we feel.  In the past, all they could do was take a census report, opinion polls, etc. but now?  Oh wow, we have the biggest and best chance to alter our lives for the better.  Listen, love me or hate me, but I do not believe that all politicians or CIA agents are evil.  I don't.  I think they are trained in such a way that we respond with distrust, and for good reason:  We should not trust people who are gathering intel on us, we should ask why, and get to know them.  Transparency.  We have this now, more than we have ever been.  If there is a goof on their side, BAM it's on Facebook, they can also learn how we think about it.  I'm giving them the chance here folks, the benefit of the doubt that the information they gleen from us, can be used to create a better world.  Will it?  That is a 50/50 right there, but hell, I'm going to think positive, WHILE sleeping with one eye open.