Sign in to follow this  
Trinity

A picture of maturity?

The Telegraph is claiming that the Duchess of Cambridge's first portrait is a "picture of maturity".  Now she is only a little older than me at 31, and quite frankly I certaintly wouldnt want to be described as "mature".

duchessOld220_2449082f.jpg

I think they have made her look a bit like a relative of Morticia Addams!  A shame as she is beautiful usually.

post-2-0-82717200-1357913885_thumb.jpg

While I agree that they have aged her a bit, and they certainly should have avoided the word "mature", I actually quite like this picture. It's a kind of no-fuss, "this is what I am", and I love that she signed it off. She is beautiful, and I personally don't think the portrait detracts from her beauty - it more just shows it in a more "normal" light.

Without the glitz, without flattering lighting, she is still a natural beauty.

The word mature is fitting of the portrait because it makes her look older than she is. It's very odd, but true. I would personally not enjoy being called the picture of maturity, but I also think it has something to do with her role. If I was in the position she was in, I'd probably have a tough enough skin not to be bothered by something like that. I'm sure she's been called a lot worse!

As I understand it, the artist used a compliation of many pictures of the Duchess to paint the portrait. Her eyes are not aligned it seems, perhaps that is the reason. But she thought it was anazing, as quoted.

I’m staring at the picture for more that five minutes just to figure why it's called “picture of maturity” but it seems I don’t have the eye of an artist. I would rather choose the scandalous picture of Kate where her breast is exposed to be named “picture of maturity”. I just don’t get it sometimes where the names of portraits derived from.

Mature doesn't necessarily refer to age. I believe the "picture of maturity" is referring to how her intelligence has matured over the years. I think she is a beautiful woman and deserves to be honored by the phrase.

I feel like the dark colours and lack of lightning of the picture aswell as the dark circles in her eyes, make her look very tired and liveless. 

Picture of maturity sounds like they are trying to promote her degree of stability and position.

The lighting on that is a bit harsh and dark. It makes her nose look crooked. Also, she's not even staring directly at you but she's also doesn't look like she's staring off to the side either. I find myself more distracted by the flaws in this drawing more than anything.

She's a beautiful woman, but this picture doesn't show it. But then maybe that's the point. I think the artist was trying to show that she isn't just a glamorous young face to put on the cover of tabloids, she is a serious politician who commands respect. I'm pretty sure they were going for dignity and grace, but I don't know--it just falls flat to me. She doesn't look wise or powerful, just old and tired. The dark, bland colors of the picture don't help, either.