PUBLISHED:15:46 GMT, 13 August 2012

Shoppers could soon be automatically recognised when they walk into a shop using a controversial new camera.

Called Facedeals, the camera uses photos uploaded to Facebook to recognise people as they walk in.

Shoppers who agree to use the system, which has not been developed with Facebook, will be offered special deals.

Read more: The Facebook camera that can recognise you every time you walk into a shop

When I saw the above article I was not shocked, because of the advances in technology, and the loss of privacy that is occuring en masse everyday. What are your thoughts about Facedeals? I am not aware of any uproar about this, it seems as if people have become so accustomed and comfortable, with giving away their privacy, that they do not seem to care or mind.  I think that it is possible that stores already have facial recognition cameras, but persons are not aware of it.

I do believe most people are pretty numbed out about this sort of thing.  Most people feel they are so busy worrying about and dealing with their daily challenges that larger issues, such as the erosion of privacy and what that means for their individual rights, don't get a lot of consideration.

Personally I don't have a Facebook account and hope I can sustain that position!  It's almost become a point of honor although I suspect whatever information might be available via Facebook is available in other ways too at this point.  So it may be foolish of me to resist Facebook; however I have never felt comfortable with it at all.

There are so many methods of information gathering going on it seems almost futile to resist that.  Yet, I do.

Still, I hope there is a better response to this and other intrusions, a response that people are able to generate creatively, to stand for values that have some lifeforce and honesty to them.  I don't know what that response might be but I keep looking for signs of it.

This is actually 10+ year old technology, some say it's been in military use for 30 years.

You can buy a camera today that recognize faces and adjusts pictures accordingly. What's REALLY creepy is that these cameras can also connect to the internet, supposedly to look for software updates or to email your pics, but that they can also upload copies of images to places that might get harvested by the gov.

Even your own pictures in your camera may no longer be private, you don't even need to share them anymore.

Hopefully when they look over the footage, they will start to see more people turning around and leaving as a result of these cameras. I for certain, would never patronize a business that was using these. Regardless of whether Facebook is in bed with the government or not (or this company for that matter) is irrelevant, the issue is they are simply capturing all of this data carelessly. All it would take is for the Government to step in and demand access to it, like they do with the ISPs.

This is my first time hearing of this and I must say that I think this is a clever way of catching criminals. They may not be able to catch all criminals that are captured on camera since it isn't a tracking device, but they will be able to identify the victims and that's great! There has been so many people kidnapped in front of a convenient stores with camera footage yet they were unable to identify them. It's 2013, and I'm certain that almost everyone has at least one photo of them on the internet. With this new idea, I hope that it will help take more criminals off of the street.

I have worked with several companies using CCTV, the quality of the pictures is not good enough to read number plates let alone identify people.  But perhaps shops will have more money to pay for better equipment if they think it will generate more sales.

I don't think it'll last long. Well, I don't think it'll last long in a place like the US or UK before being shut down anyway. 

For starters, it's not Facebook who is creating it, so if Facedeals starts getting anywhere profitable, they'll throw a fit and get them shut down. 

As for the concept itself, I definitely think we're numb to this sort of thing. 

Facebook has had facial recogniton capabilities for awhile. It good that people are given the option of using it because I won't be doing it. I think it so very strange how marketers and companies sit around thinking of way to invade of privacy without a second thought. It's even stranger that some people will sign up for such a thing. Some people don't think twice about putting their entire life online for the world to see.

Dont put your pictures on facebook or the internet at all really.

I agree. Persons should not put their pictures on the internet at all. Photos can easily be copied and then used by other individuals, and groups, including governments. I remember hearing about an American family, who found out that a picture that they had shared on the internet, was taken and used in Europe, in an advertisement.

Read more: U.S. family's shock as their Christmas card photo winds up splashed across shop window... in Czech Republic

I also remember hearing about a woman who was raped. She revealed too much information about herself on her blog, and a rapist took advantage of that.

‘It was terrifying… he told me he knew where to find me’: Woman reveals horrific moment she was raped on her boat by man who tracked her down after reading her blog about 1,500-mile charity row

Ugh. Well facebook just annoys me at this point. I was never really fond of it and got it only for the reason of being connected to people in school. Other than fb messaging I never really use Facebook for what it is. Now the news that was mentioned on this forum about Facebook does surprise me a lot yet at the same time I expect anything from this social media website at this point in time.

Well it's not surprising that its out there, and that a lot of people are either numb or unaware to the possibilities. However, I don't see that it's that feasible/worthwhile right now with the quality of FB (and a lot of online) photos lacking.

I know plenty of people who would allow it in order to save a few bucks, we hear about this stuff all of the time. I'm sure a lot of people won't think of it as anything different than the way cameras already film you in almost every store you enter. Of course it's different, but the average American may not realize that. Some people would probably be happier not even giving in thought. I know I'm guilty of that one.

I was reading the comments below the article and someone mentioned the "Mark Of The Beast", which I can totally relate to, so I'm not surprised that slowly but surely, everything in this world will be under surveillance in preparation for the NWO. I think that the only benefit that it would bring is that you may be able to catch criminals with that kind of technology, but right now since the service is not mandatory, I don't think criminals would even bother signing up to Facedeals to get a measly discount or freebie. They would rather steal instead. :lol:

When you add up the computing power increase and the cloud storage increase you can see how technology that used to be expensive is now common. FB and Google do concern me in the ways they are looking to control more aspects of society.

And we all laugh at people who don't have Facebook...

I don't have any photos of me on mine, so haha government, go screw someone else up. 

But FB is creepy. We have everything we like over there, from games to colors to celebrities and products. The government can just look us up and learn who we are just is a day. 

This just sounds so messed up it's unreal. If you look at it with regular sheeple eyes it seems like nothing. My conspiracy theory senses tell me this will only be the beginning, they'll probably find an excuse to put this software on CCTV cams.

Is there anyway there could be a protest group set up to take advantage of this at the same time?  Say we all wore V for Vendetta masks,downloaded the app and started walking into loads of different shops, we would get group offers everywhere? Joking aside, I can see the day when we tell people we don't have facebook accounts and they will stare at us before hiding their kids and ringing up for surveillance on us. Truly scary.

This just sounds so messed up it's unreal. If you look at it with regular sheeple eyes it seems like nothing. My conspiracy theory senses tell me this will only be the beginning, they'll probably find an excuse to put this software on CCTV cams.

And sooner or later they will end up knowing where any person is, at any given time.

This technology existed long ago, but with facebook just made it a lot easier get recognized out there..

• 2 weeks later...
This is my first time hearing of this and I must say that I think this is a clever way of catching criminals. They may not be able to catch all criminals that are captured on camera since it isn't a tracking device, but they will be able to identify the victims and that's great! There has been so many people kidnapped in front of a convenient stores with camera footage yet they were unable to identify them. It's 2013, and I'm certain that almost everyone has at least one photo of them on the internet. With this new idea, I hope that it will help take more criminals off of the street.

The premise of "getting criminals off the street" has never been successful because it doesn't solve the issue of crime. It doesn't get to the root of the problem which goes far beyond this subject. Think about the "war on drugs" and all the new tactics the government use to get criminals off the street. There's still criminals on the street. Drug usage is still around and has been around even before the existence of the United States. With power comes responsibility. We have a corrupt system with power so tell me how this will be a good idea in the long run?